Géranium pour Monsieur (2009)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Géranium pour Monsieur information

Year of Launch2009

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerDominique Ropion
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Géranium pour Monsieur

Géranium pour Monsieur is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion

Géranium pour Monsieur fragrance notes

Reviews of Géranium pour Monsieur

JimmyP Show all reviews
I have been holding off rating this fragrance for quite a while - until 4th wearing to be exact.
The reason being that this scent is somewhat "shapeless" and chameleon-like. As I was sampling it I have found myself thinking that I am just not able to grasp what the scent is about... A highly elusive smell for sure. Mint and geranium are both present and the latter becomes more prominent into the mid and base of the scent, yet the entire composition is so ephemeral that I found it very difficult to enjoy. But again, not because it smells poor, but simply because it is so confusing and plays hide and seek throughout its moderate lifespan of about 6-8 hours. In the end, I am giving this thumbs up but only barely, with a final rating of 3/5. Personally I much prefer Heeley's Menthe Fraiche in the mint game because to me that one is a much more successful rendition of the theme.
05th August, 2015 (last edited: 10th August, 2015)
Mint, geranium, a soapy white musk, woods, and a tiny bit of anise. (Not the overdose of anise that absolutely ruins Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin for me.) Sounds weird, but it works great for any occasion. And unlike many other mint-dominant fragrances, it lasts all day.

A quality creation like many Frederic Malle scents, and worth the price - especially if you like mint as much as I do.
06th May, 2015

Quite aromatic opening dominated by minty emanations and strengthened by a clear geranium – this opening is impressive if you are into mint notes, and this is a upscale, non-toothpastey mint. This mint ensemble is also cleaner and more sophisticated than the mint note in… say… Roadster by Cartier. I myself am not into mint dominant accords, but this one I enjoy, probably because its strong tinge of geranium makes the mint more palatable to me. The opening has impressive longevity.

The mints and the geranium stay on the surface of the heart notes – and its background shifts and mitigates a little. I think what is happening with the heart is that the clove oil takes over in the background making the accord a little less ethereal and a little more earth-bound than the opening. This middle accord is subtle, sophisticated, and it serves as an appropriate continuation of the opening. I had been apprehensive of the clove oil but was happy to find it quite discrete and nicely performing.

The mint is pretty much gone by the basenotes… the geranium tenuously hangs on for the remainder, offering a subtle airiness to a discrete but solid white musk / sandalwood base which hints at a quality grey amber (“quality” is extremely important with grey amber). The pyramid says incense, and I smelled the incense at the first testing, but since it has apparently melded into the accord and I haven’t been able to separate it out. I don’t miss the incense because this light accord is solid, enjoyable, and completely fulfilling without it.

“Geranium Pour Monsieur” could just as easily been named “Geranium for Madame” because the temper of GPM is gender neutral as far as I’m concerned… neither sensual nor sexy. GPM is not dramatic or compelling, but rather it is buoyant, unisex, and deliciously wearable.

At my first testing of GPM I thought it was a pleasant but not very interesting scent – with that, I guess I was being unreasonably dismissive. Later with a couple of full wearings, its quiet uniqueness and almost spiritually-uplifting tenor grew on me: Instead of my oft-used comment: “Great scent but I don’t want to smell like this,” with Geranium Pour Monsieur my comment is “Subtly captivating scent and I DO wish to smell like this.”

10th March, 2015
James. Bond.

This is a perfect scent. I'm serious, it really is. I tend to like them big and bombastic, loud and proud, my presence announced with angels, trumpets, fanfare, and of course groupies. But not this one.

There's a time for elegance, for professionalism, for just being the best guy in the room. Are you polished? Are you ready? Are you awesome? And most importantly, do you know it so deeply that you don't give any of it a second thought? Then you might actually be James Bond. For the rest of us, when we manage to attain that balance of competence and confidence, of practice and preparation, we want to smell like this.

It works everywhere, all the time. Office-friendly? Yep. Courtroom-approved? Yep. Date-ready? Yep. Sponge-worthy, too, I'd bet. Get some.
11th February, 2015
Fresh, fresh, fresh!

This is a very clever fragrance... masterfully composed. The perfumers here wanted to recreate the classic masculine smell or "fougère" smell (ie a Lavender, Oakmoss, Coumarin combination used in most "green" or "traditional" fragrances for men). They used inspiration from men's soaps from the 1920's which used Geranium and cloves in order to convey "freshness" and an overall "clean & masculine" smell. The result here is quite remarkable.

Basically the perfumer Dominique Ropion has taken Geranium oil in it's purest form, and built a composition around it. Geranium can be sometimes minty, sometimes lemon-fresh, sometimes like cloves, or sometimes like rose. Here he has added notes which "pump-up" these different aspects of Geranium, such as mint absolute, cinnamon extracted using modern technology to bring out the "fresh" and "aromatic" aspects, and he has layered it on a base of clean sandalwood and very clean white musk.

It smells so incredibly fresh! I have rarely encountered a fragrance which is able to convey freshness as much as this does. I think this is because it has a huge mint note. But I must stress, this does not smell like toothpaste! It has star anise, cloves, cinnamon, and very green mint and geranium, with a smooth base of creamy sandalwood and polished white musk. Like fresh cotton sheets just washed.

It's actually not an easy smell to understand at first (like many of the Frédéric Malle creations). But I think if you want to convey a message of "fresh and serious" you could wear this. I also think it's floral enough to be worn by a woman (despite the name). This is one to try (especially for this price) for anyone who loves green nature and "fresh" smells. As with all Frédéric Malle's... the quality is exceptionally high and the projection is good. One to try for summer and all year round. Green, aromatic, minty and floral fresh!
05th November, 2014
A fresh mint opening with a nice, masculine dry down. This one is great from start to finish and doesn't ever get too much like toothpaste. It's my favorite mint and just smells clean.
05th October, 2014

Add your review of Géranium pour Monsieur

Shop for Géranium pour Monsieur products online

Search Amazon for Géranium pour Monsieur

Member images of Géranium pour Monsieur

There are no member images of Géranium pour Monsieur yet. Why not be the first?