A*Men Pure Malt (2009)

PerfumerJacques Huclier
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men Pure Malt

A*Men Pure Malt is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Huclier

A*Men Pure Malt fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men Pure Malt

Just behind Pure Havane, but its a close second :) FANTASTIC designer fragrance.
23rd December, 2019
Possibly the most overhyped fragrance of all time.

Some of the reviews here say that this is a blind buy, and the amount of praise that Pure Malt receives here would certainly lead one to believe that that may be the case, but let me assure you that this is not a blind-buy, and there's a very good chance that it's not a "buy" at all.

It's built on the Type-2 diabetes-inducing A*Men (1996) chassis, and the first blast is an intensely sweet synthetic that reminds me of a dirtier H.M. (1997) by Hanae Mori. Where people are getting the notion that this smells like booze -- nonetheless Scotch whisky, THE booze made from malt and peat -- is beyond me. I am a big fan of Scotch whisky. I have had a lot of Scotch whisky in my time. I know how to spell it correctly. In fact, I've even been to Scotland twice and have worked for a Scotland-based company! This smells like whisky about as much as lime Jolly Ranchers taste like biting into a fresh lime, which is to say "a passing resemblance" at best. As this is built upon the A*Men platform, this is best left to younger gentleman, and old folks north of 40 years of age, such as myself, should probably pass on this. It smells like something that belongs at a club, and certainly not at any place one would consider "elegant" or "refined." You certainly shouldn't wear this in any professional or office setting. Longevity is fair, though projection and sillage are good.

This isn't an objectively "bad" scent, but I almost feel it to be in the interest of the public good that I make it clear that this is not a blind buy, nor is it a crowning achievement, nor is it a classic. It's one of the better A*Men flankers, and that statement alone, parsed exactly as is, will give you all that you need to know.

I'm generous with my neutral on this one.
20th November, 2019 (last edited: 21st November, 2019)
This smells to me like the smell of a bar right after it opens in the morning. It somehow is too sweet and too bitter at the same time. It IS and interesting smell, and doesn't smell like the run of the mill fragrance, which gives it up marks, but I'm just not sure it smells GOOD. As it burned throughout the day I feel like the scent blended well with my skin and almost smelled better after a while. Performance pretty good. Value pretty good. All things considered I'm going with a thumbs up here.
20th September, 2019
Now that Mugler's about to be purchased by L'Oreal I've been trying to sample their whole line quickly, with fear that the takeover will result in reformulations and ruined scents. Unfortunately, Pure Malt already appears to have been weakened even before the merge. The opening is lovely and I think the fruit (albeit a bit artificial smelling) combines with the malt and the A*men DNA in a really interesting way. Based on the opening alone it's my favorite of the line so far. However, it dies down to a skin scent within an hour. Other reviewers have said the original formulation lasts forever. Really disappointing, guess I don't need to nail down a bottle.
11th September, 2019
A very boozy-wheat opening with a backbone of citrus and fruit. A very linear scent, it doesn't seem to change much from first spray to the middle notes. This doesn't project as well as its brother flanker (Pure Tonka) nor do I find it as interesting. Projection is light to moderate on my skin, I'm just not getting any life out of this. Sillage is 5-6 hours but a good deal of that is it sitting as a skin scent. Elements of tonka and coffee come out in the dry-down, but not enough to do much to improve it overall, nor do they add any much-needed depth.

Simply too straightforward and not enough lasting power for me to recommend in any way.

07th March, 2019
I'm not a big fan of the original Amen, but this one I dig. The boozy side of this works where the bathroom side of Amen original does not.

It's a compliment better and it does project and last. On Fat Tuesday, this one made sense. Sweet n Boozy.
05th March, 2019