A*Men Pure Malt (2009)
    by Thierry Mugler

Average Rating: 4

Based on 604 ratings

A*Men Pure Malt information

A*Men Pure Malt is a men's fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of A*Men Pure Malt

Showing 1 to 6 of 93 reviews.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Ingenious. Whisky, indeed and those refined fruity notes which are more potent, in the background there is this distinct, classic A*Men note. Pure Havane and The Taste Of Fragrance follow Pure Malt story and style but are different in character. Pure Leather is something like Pure Malt stripped of its fruitiness and booziness and more like a toned, refined A*Men.

Aside the flanker that followed Pure Malt, and they're great as well by the way, Pure Malt is unsurpassable in design, style, character, the work on it. To Me Guccy Envy For Men is number 1 fragrance, but Pure Malt might stand by its side anytime.

I've been reading about Pure Malt for a while now, as well as other flankers, so I bought them all blind without a question. Each in its own right is an exquisite fragrance and I really love every flanker, however Pure Malt owns them all completely. But, now there's this B*Men "story". Incredible as it may sound, B*Men is my No1 flanker. Even though, however mayhaps questionable, B*Men can't compete with Pure Malt, B*Men has this certain mesmerizing effect on me on both conscious and subconscious level in an incredible way. Really if I had to choose between Pure Malt and B*Men, I'd choose B*Men. Sounds almost like blasphemy, but there it is.

Pure Malt, when it comes to both the entire A*Men line and the whole designer perfume world, is truly a force to be reckoned with in all aspects. Only now that I finally own it and smell it on myself do I understand why is this almost a holy grail on this site, why is it among top worn, often mentioned etc.

Scent: 10/10 - masterpiece
    Originality 10/10 - unique
    Longevity 8/10 - 12+ hours
    Projection 7/10 - above average

(edit due to lapsus calami)

02 July, 2014 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2014)

Tmoran's avatar

I absolutely love this fragrance. I originally was attracted to pure havane for its strong tobacco notes being a lover of un burned tobacco. I stayed away from pure malt due to the overwhelming responses saying this smelled like berries with whisky (or is is whiskey?) over them. Honestly, I think that is just a trend with youtube reviewers. One well known reviewer says something and the rest of them follow the leader and simply repeat what was said as I really dont get the reference. I guess you would have to be a very big spirits enthusiast to pick up on the notes of whisky under the strong and in most cases offensive smell of alcohol. I wont even pretend to know what my nose is picking up on. All I can say is that I love pure havane. But since purchasing pure malt I have a hard time reaching for anything else. I think my favorite thing is that while its not a linear scent it also retains its own dna enough to where it never feels like a different fragrance but rather an evolution. Too many good fragrances change way too much for me to enjoy. I either like the opening or the drydown rarely both. Pure malt is a rockstar. I really hope they keep it around permanently as its really one of the best flankers in the history of flankers.

13 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

The original A*Men has always been too sweet and too ham-fisted in execution for me to stomach. The cult favorite Pure Malt flanker is a lot easier on my nose. It’s no more subtle, nor any less sweet, than the original, but its smoky, peaty malt whisky note provides welcome contrast to the dense syrup. Unfortunately, the whisky peters out before the rest, leaving behind the familiar, ponderous, and gooey-sweet A*Men accord of chocolate syrup, chemical “wood” and patchouli.

08 June, 2014

krsams1's avatar

Outstanding! No matter how many niche or high end fragrances I purchase, which is a lot, this little gem will always have a place in my line up along with Pure Havane.

05 May, 2014

lex's avatar

very nice, pure malt is close to the amen without that burt tar rubber smell. I feel this needs to be applied lightly and it can be risky in the summer

26 February, 2014

Sybernetic's avatar

It doesn't smell altogether bad to me but I wouldn't want to smell like this in public. The booze makes it smell very dated - like something my father or grandfather would have worn - only except that they never would have worn something that smells sweet at the same time. Candy of course smells good but why in the world a man would want to smell like candy is beyond me!?!? Maybe women do like the smell but other men are laughing at you!

16 February, 2014

• Time Left:
    A*MEN PURE MALT by Thierry Mugler EDT 3.4 OZ
    • Time Left: 5 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    3 pc Thierry Mugler Samples A MEN PURE HAVANE MALT & ICE MEN 1.2ml Spray Cologne
    (Shipping from United States)
    4 x THIERRY MUGLER A MEN PURE HAVANE & PURE MALT EDT 1.2ml COLOGNE SPRAY SAMPLES
    5 ML decant / sample of Thierry Mugler A MEN Pure Malt – *Read Description*