A*Men Pure Malt (2009)
    by Thierry Mugler

Average Rating: 4

Based on 604 ratings

A*Men Pure Malt information

A*Men Pure Malt is a men's fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2009

Shop for A*Men Pure Malt products online

100ml EdT
    $75.08*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 48.00)

Reviews of A*Men Pure Malt

Showing 1 to 6 of 97 reviews.

I put off testing Pure Malt and Pure Havana because I had read comments that they were both similar to the original A*Men fragrance, which I had learned to be wary of. In testing Pure Malt I do see some similarities, but mainly I experience something I find completely different from A*Men. Pure Malt is a lot less aggressive and I especially enjoy the fact that there is little or none of that dreaded birch tar that completely ruined A*Men for me.

The opening of Pure Malt is a pleasure. Those malt and woody notes (with a semi-sweet background of fruity notes) make a sniffably compelling accord for me. Itís a rich, neutral texture that very much smells like malt (I am more reminded of malt powder used for malted milk than of malt liquor or malt whisky.) I would like to sniff it for hours, but that wonít happen because the malt aspect of the accord lessens somewhat quickly for me, and the remaining woody and fruity aspects are very pleasant, but not as compelling. Still, it is one of the more original accords I have experienced in recent years, and it is an accord that is very easy to live with for an extended period of timeÖ the top & heart lasts beautifully.

The base to me is a less powerful version of the dry down of the original A*Men. It is, like its progenitorís, a beautiful accord, but in Pure Malt it is presented with a much lower decibel level, and I donít even smell the dreaded birch tar note. Pure Malt is excellent and Iím sorry I didnít try it sooner. Itís creative and enjoyable, and its projection and longevity are wonderfully adaptable according to application.

17th February, 2015

clamnole's avatar

Was given a bottle of Pure Malt at Christmas by a kind co-worker who knew I enjoy collecting fragrances. I like my co-worker very much and just can't bring myself to tell her how absolutely revolting I find this scent to be.

I understand the appeal of many fragrances in the market these days even if I don't find any interest in them myself. However, I can not understand the attraction to something that smells to me like a synthetic version of rotted fruit and wet oak. Maybe this is where everyone gets the whiskey association and I love a good bourbon or blended, but this stuff is just horrid.

I don't know what my co-worker is thinking of me as I haven't worn this to the office once and have repeatedly told her that I appreciated the gift (I have given her some delightful perfumes over the years that she regularly wears), but can't come up with a palatable explanation of my reaction to this one.

11th February, 2015

Lewy's avatar

Incredibly hyped for no apparent reason. Maybe I expected it to be different. Darker, woodier, boozier, manlier, with more character. Where is the malt? Instead it's sweet, fresh, feminine, and...sorry to say it, for boys only. Smells like one of those Axe/Lynx deodorants, very immature, very synthetic, very offensive. People around you may like it, but likewise probably hate it. I wouldn't take that risk.

To be fair, longevity and sillage are excellent, I figure it'd best be worn in autumn/winter?!
    It's a solid scent for highschoolers but not the masterpiece that many make it out to be by any means.

14th October, 2014

Liambambiggy's avatar

Very rarely do I give a full five star rating but this is a legend. I've worn this so much and have received so many compliments from women and men alike. Women love it and guys want to smell like it. The superb display of whiskey makes you intoxicated. Superb blend from the mind of monsiuer Muglar. I'd shake his hand for this one.

06th October, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Ingenious. Whisky, indeed and those refined fruity notes which are more potent, in the background there is this distinct, classic A*Men note. Pure Havane and The Taste Of Fragrance follow Pure Malt story and style but are different in character. Pure Leather is something like Pure Malt stripped of its fruitiness and booziness and more like a toned, refined A*Men.

Aside the flanker that followed Pure Malt, and they're great as well by the way, Pure Malt is unsurpassable in design, style, character, the work on it. To Me Guccy Envy For Men is number 1 fragrance, but Pure Malt might stand by its side anytime.

I've been reading about Pure Malt for a while now, as well as other flankers, so I bought them all blind without a question. Each in its own right is an exquisite fragrance and I really love every flanker, however Pure Malt owns them all completely. But, now there's this B*Men "story". Incredible as it may sound, B*Men is my No1 flanker. Even though, however mayhaps questionable, B*Men can't compete with Pure Malt, B*Men has this certain mesmerizing effect on me on both conscious and subconscious level in an incredible way. Really if I had to choose between Pure Malt and B*Men, I'd choose B*Men. Sounds almost like blasphemy, but there it is.

Pure Malt, when it comes to both the entire A*Men line and the whole designer perfume world, is truly a force to be reckoned with in all aspects. Only now that I finally own it and smell it on myself do I understand why is this almost a holy grail on this site, why is it among top worn, often mentioned etc.

Scent: 10/10 - masterpiece
    Originality 10/10 - unique
    Longevity 8/10 - 12+ hours
    Projection 7/10 - above average

(edit due to lapsus calami)

02nd July, 2014 (Last Edited: 28th August, 2014)

Tmoran's avatar

I absolutely love this fragrance. I originally was attracted to pure havane for its strong tobacco notes being a lover of un burned tobacco. I stayed away from pure malt due to the overwhelming responses saying this smelled like berries with whisky (or is is whiskey?) over them. Honestly, I think that is just a trend with youtube reviewers. One well known reviewer says something and the rest of them follow the leader and simply repeat what was said as I really dont get the reference. I guess you would have to be a very big spirits enthusiast to pick up on the notes of whisky under the strong and in most cases offensive smell of alcohol. I wont even pretend to know what my nose is picking up on. All I can say is that I love pure havane. But since purchasing pure malt I have a hard time reaching for anything else. I think my favorite thing is that while its not a linear scent it also retains its own dna enough to where it never feels like a different fragrance but rather an evolution. Too many good fragrances change way too much for me to enjoy. I either like the opening or the drydown rarely both. Pure malt is a rockstar. I really hope they keep it around permanently as its really one of the best flankers in the history of flankers.

13th June, 2014

STARTING BID
    THIERRY MUGLER A MEN PURE MALT ***FREE IMMEDIATE SHIPPING!***
    • Time Left: 28 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Various Men's Thierry Mugler Fragrance Sample Travel Vials- You choose !
    • Time Left: 24 days