Une Rose Chyprée (2009)

• Perfumer: Andy Tauer
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Une Rose Chyprée Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Une Rose Chyprée

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

james1051's avatar
    james1051

For me, this fragrance does several things right: the bergamot on top is really nice. I do love bergamot. Also noteworthy, the bitter, green geranium providing a backbone for the fragrance from start to finish, and something for a guy's nose to latch onto. And, the vaguely oriental dry down is fine, if not remarkable. At this point you've got the geranium, some incense and labdanum. The fragrance has excellent projection and length.

But, URC comes up short for me in two crucial respects:

-I don't get any oakmoss, and boy could this fragrance use it, to balance the fruit juice. Yeah I know oakmoss has been banned by the authorities, but some houses are finding a way to put some OM or acceptable substitute into their juice. (see Chypre Mousse). I was darn tempted to inject a bit of vintage Bel Ami or Chypre Mousse into my URC sample.

-The "rose" heart note does not bear the slightest resemblance to roses, imo. I know what roses smell like, having grown them, antiques, ramblers, teas, you name it, my entire adult life. And that experience with roses informs and limits my appreciation for this fragrance. I detect no true rose smell in the perfume, just a Fruit Juice substitute. Man, that disappoints.

This was the first Tauer I tried that didn't really move the needle for me. But then, LADDM, Incense Extreme and Lonestar Memories are very tough acts to follow.

06 April, 2014

pebblebeach's avatar
    pebblebeach
    Croatia Croatia

„Heavenly Roses, from the past.”
    What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be! These are roses. Dark, heavily scented roses, from another era. Not the fragile dewy English Garden type rose, but more of a robust and sturdy type rose, that grew in gardens in far away places. Roses that have definite personality. Now, imagine a bunch of these gorgeous roses combined in a lovely bouquet with the highly scented mini carnation...a carnation that is scented like cinnamon), combined with some beautiful vanilla scented orchids. The greenery for this lovely bouquet would be clementine orange leaves, with a few bayleafs for added decoration. This is a flower bouquet made with love. Just like this superb fragrance, from the Tauer line. I was hesitant at first, to test this, as I wasn't really impressed with his other rose fragrance (Une Rose Vermeille). Which to my nose was more of a rosewater sweet fruity fragrance. But this is a different breed of rose! The dry down is simply wonderful...soft, yet distinct. It's almost like a lovely tune, playing in the background. The lasting power is great, and it has a very nice sillage..not overpowering, but again, very distinct and attractive. This is a real winner for me, and hope to be able to get a FB very soon! Thank you Mr. Tauer, for a glimpse into the past!

02 February, 2014

dlane1953's avatar
    dlane1953

Dark, rich, and warm

The first time I wore this, I seemed to pick out a huge amount of cinnamon, which distracted me from the rose notes. So I set the sample aside for a few days and today I'm trying it again.

Excellent, warm, spicy opening with touches of citrus. Compelling. The heart notes unfolded rather quickly--almost alongside the head notes--and the rose is lovely and dark, very sensual. Any rose lover would swoon over these rose notes. The basenotes, a heady, resinous mixture of labdanum, oak moss, patchouli and vetiver, are rich and warm. I would call this a 2-stage development, not 3, because the opening and heart notes intermingle so quickly. This fragrance is warm and inviting (but also possesses a touch of "darkness" that makes it more interesting, like a slightly dangerous femme fatale) and is unlike any other rose fragrances I own. Sillage very good, longevity over 10 hours.

What a perfume; here is another one for my wish list. I think any chypre lover would adore this.

UPDATE: After several more wearings, I have to add that the cinnamon note IS strong, and if that note is a problem for you, better sample before purchase.

Pros: Spicy rose, great longevity
    Cons: Cinnamon note might be too strong for some body chemistries"

04 October, 2013

Pearl Ambassador's avatar
    Pearl Ambassador
    Switzerland Switzerland

mmmmmmmhhhhhhh! Andy Tauer's scents just keep surprising me again and again. Une Rose Chypree is the 3rd rose I got from Andy. And again, it renders me speechless with surprise and admiration! It is sooooooo elegant and fresh without the "old-lady smell" a lot of rose fragrances now a days offer.
    Sillage is not as strong as Une Rose Vermeille or Le Maroc Pour Elle but still very noticeable.
    Tenacity is also a little bit weaker. The scent still stays vibrant on my skin for about 6 hours.
    This is really recommendable :-)

16 December, 2011

Thighs's avatar
    Thighs

You know that pink rubber that surgical appliances were made from in the 1950s. Now imagine a six foot high pink rubber rose.

Although 24 hours later! The rubbery note is less pronounced and maybe I am starting to get it. Maybe I am too early in my fragrance journey to get this. I will revisit my little sample vial in a year and see how my opinions have changed.

23 February, 2011

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Wow, is this stuff strong!

A beautiful floral (a very green rose) once one gets past the rather unpleasant spice top notes. This is a true scent for the brave and is guaranteed to get you noticed. Longevity and sillage are major in this one! As the drydown begins, the floral aspect starts to tone down, and I can see this as a unisex.

I would classify this as a chypre and not an oriental.

The oriental aspect of this is not evident to me and one must wait for the drydown--and it is very subtle.

A nice fragrance, but DO use in small doses as the sillage can be overwhelming for both you and bystanders. Apply with care.

21st February, 2011