Une Rose Chyprée (2009)

Une Rose Chyprée Fragrance Notes

Une Rose Chyprée information

Une Rose Chyprée is a unisex fragrance by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Une Rose Chyprée

Showing 1 to 6 of 16 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

The name had me expecting a floral chypre with a rose heart, but that’s not exactly what I’m smelling here. Instead, Une Rose Chyprée is a dark, sweet, and spicy floral-oriental with an especially deep, jammy rose note at its core. It reminds me very much of Nahéma, of Amouage’s two rose-based Lyric scents, and by dint of conspicuous cinnamon (and clove?) notes, of Frederic Malle’s Noir Epices as well. I’ll take the perfumer’s word for it that the basenotes include the chypre staples oakmoss and labdanum, but what I smell in there is mostly smoky vanillic amber.

Whether you consider Une Rose Chyprée a chypre or an oriental is of little account. What matters is the scent’s smoldering, crepuscular beauty. The attempt to describe its qualities sends me scurrying after new words for “dark.” Yet for all its profundity, there is a paradoxical clarity to Une Rose Chyprée’s structure. (A quality it again shares with Noir Epices.) In olfactory character it brings to mind the tolling of a deep, deep bell, or the entrancing velvety blue glow of the evening sky just before it goes completely black. I wouldn’t wear it during the day, and certainly not in hot weather, but I think I’d have to pay attention to any woman wearing this scent in my presence. Une Rose Chyprée joins L’Air du Desert Marocain among my favorites from the Tauer line.

06 July, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A rose so heavily bracketed by the spice and citrus at the top and the labdanum rich resinous base, that it’s actually not quite a rose anymore. The overwhelming impression I am left with is of something pleasurable, wearable, warm and dense but somewhat undifferentiated, once the notes have blended after the first few minutes. Leaning more heavily in the ‘oriental’ direction and with good tenacity yet contained sillage, it’s not in the Tauer top ranks for me. The main drawback is the density – everything seems so thoroughly blended that it misses an enlivening quality, slumping on the sofa rather than kicking its heels.

24 April, 2014

james1051's avatar

For me, this fragrance does several things right: the bergamot on top is really nice. I do love bergamot. Also noteworthy, the bitter, green geranium providing a backbone for the fragrance from start to finish, and something for a guy's nose to latch onto. And, the vaguely oriental dry down is fine, if not remarkable. At this point you've got the geranium, some incense and labdanum. The fragrance has excellent projection and length.

But, URC comes up short for me in two crucial respects:

-I don't get any oakmoss, and boy could this fragrance use it, to balance the fruit juice. Yeah I know oakmoss has been banned by the authorities, but some houses are finding a way to put some OM or acceptable substitute into their juice. (see Chypre Mousse). I was darn tempted to inject a bit of vintage Bel Ami or Chypre Mousse into my URC sample.

-The "rose" heart note does not bear the slightest resemblance to roses, imo. I know what roses smell like, having grown them, antiques, ramblers, teas, you name it, my entire adult life. And that experience with roses informs and limits my appreciation for this fragrance. I detect no true rose smell in the perfume, just a Fruit Juice substitute. Man, that disappoints.

This was the first Tauer I tried that didn't really move the needle for me. But then, LADDM, Incense Extreme and Lonestar Memories are very tough acts to follow.

06 April, 2014

pebblebeach's avatar

Croatia Croatia

„Heavenly Roses, from the past.”
    What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be! These are roses. Dark, heavily scented roses, from another era. Not the fragile dewy English Garden type rose, but more of a robust and sturdy type rose, that grew in gardens in far away places. Roses that have definite personality. Now, imagine a bunch of these gorgeous roses combined in a lovely bouquet with the highly scented mini carnation...a carnation that is scented like cinnamon), combined with some beautiful vanilla scented orchids. The greenery for this lovely bouquet would be clementine orange leaves, with a few bayleafs for added decoration. This is a flower bouquet made with love. Just like this superb fragrance, from the Tauer line. I was hesitant at first, to test this, as I wasn't really impressed with his other rose fragrance (Une Rose Vermeille). Which to my nose was more of a rosewater sweet fruity fragrance. But this is a different breed of rose! The dry down is simply wonderful...soft, yet distinct. It's almost like a lovely tune, playing in the background. The lasting power is great, and it has a very nice sillage..not overpowering, but again, very distinct and attractive. This is a real winner for me, and hope to be able to get a FB very soon! Thank you Mr. Tauer, for a glimpse into the past!

02 February, 2014

dlane1953's avatar

Dark, rich, and warm

The first time I wore this, I seemed to pick out a huge amount of cinnamon, which distracted me from the rose notes. So I set the sample aside for a few days and today I'm trying it again.

Excellent, warm, spicy opening with touches of citrus. Compelling. The heart notes unfolded rather quickly--almost alongside the head notes--and the rose is lovely and dark, very sensual. Any rose lover would swoon over these rose notes. The basenotes, a heady, resinous mixture of labdanum, oak moss, patchouli and vetiver, are rich and warm. I would call this a 2-stage development, not 3, because the opening and heart notes intermingle so quickly. This fragrance is warm and inviting (but also possesses a touch of "darkness" that makes it more interesting, like a slightly dangerous femme fatale) and is unlike any other rose fragrances I own. Sillage very good, longevity over 10 hours.

What a perfume; here is another one for my wish list. I think any chypre lover would adore this.

UPDATE: After several more wearings, I have to add that the cinnamon note IS strong, and if that note is a problem for you, better sample before purchase.

Pros: Spicy rose, great longevity
    Cons: Cinnamon note might be too strong for some body chemistries"

04 October, 2013

Pearl Ambassador's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

mmmmmmmhhhhhhh! Andy Tauer's scents just keep surprising me again and again. Une Rose Chypree is the 3rd rose I got from Andy. And again, it renders me speechless with surprise and admiration! It is sooooooo elegant and fresh without the "old-lady smell" a lot of rose fragrances now a days offer.
    Sillage is not as strong as Une Rose Vermeille or Le Maroc Pour Elle but still very noticeable.
    Tenacity is also a little bit weaker. The scent still stays vibrant on my skin for about 6 hours.
    This is really recommendable :-)

16 December, 2011