Bois Marocain (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Bois Marocain

Bois Marocain is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009

Bois Marocain fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois Marocain

Dry, green, very resinous and coniferous. A pleasure to wear. Hints of pepper and incense and the camphor-mint quality of conifers which brightens any mood. Woods in the dry-down. Somewhat low-key and close to the skin for a Tom Ford.
28th December, 2016
Tom Ford Bois Marocain is re-released in 2016 as part of a private reserve after being discontinued and hard to come by, so I'm happy to try this rendition even if it deviates from the original that I never sampled.

It's a predictably dominated by woods, despite a mix of earthy elements as well--some cite pine as the dominant note but to my nose the woods themselves are a mix of the pine, cedar, and cypress, the smoothness of the cedar evening out some of the sharpess of the cypress and acidity of the pine. It's a nice mix, that when combined with the supporting notes of patchouli and vetiver becomes earthy and with incense becomes a solid winter experience, a slightly green yet significantly darker sibling to the other recent release of Vert Des Bois, my slight favorite of the Vert trio that I tried.

Performance seems to have been a criticism from its first incarnation, rare for the original private blends generally exalted for their power, and I can't help but come to the same conclusion. Bois Marocain is unimpressive on both projection and longevity. It never jumped off the skin very much upon application and a couple hours in, it's faded a lot.

The pricing of $330 for 50ml is even higher than the increased Neroli Portofino Forte pricing of $290 for 50ml, so you really need to love this in order to contemplate buying this.

Overall, I feel roughly the same about Bois Marocain as I do about Oud Wood, a very nice wood-centric mostly-masculine fragrance but not one I love nor particularly intend to buy. Italian Cypress remains the best woody fragrance of the house.

7 out of 10
31st October, 2016
Can you get any drier? Super dry, super linear. Great scent if you want that one note wonder but for the price, there are similar scents out there that perform the same. Some very inexpensive...

But that's the genius of Tom Ford: simple fragrances that are of HIGH quality and you can't help but love.

More power to the rich.
30th June, 2015
A discontinued jewel of dry incense & cedar...

This is a wonderful incense fragrance. Pine-like (an authentic Moroccan Cedarwood note). Followed by dark green Cypress and incredibly authentic smoky incense. Without a doubt one of the best incense fragrances I've tried. I find it very dark and deep and resinous. A hint of pink pepper with the dry cedar and vetiver, combined with the incense makes it a wonderful creation. I am impressed with this one. Very dark, can be worn by men or women although I find the incense & cedar combination very dry and masculine to my nose. It's a real shame they discontinued this, and even Tom Ford mentioned it was one of his favourites from the Private Blend line (this was discontinued due to poor sales). I would welcome a re-release of this. It smells very different to other mainstream releases, has one of the best incense notes, and will be truly missed. A fantastic cedarwood & incense gem.
03rd October, 2014
I was a fan of J. Casanova pour Homme EdT and was very unhappy when it was discontinued, and now you cannot get it anywhere, but then Bois Marocain came to save the day.
It is practical identical to JC pH. The Arab heritage is patent (J. Casanova pH was made by a Saudi, and Marocain insinuates Arab roots).
The opening is the less pleasant part of this scent, to me it smells too much like pencil shavings, maybe too much cedar, but then the cypress becomes dominant and the incense start developing after 15-20 mins.
Then the best part, the drydown, it is incense and woods with a slight spiciness that has good sillage, unfortunately it lasts less than I would have liked it, but you can get a good 4-5 hours of it easy.
The pencil shavings prevents me from giving 5 stars to this perfume, but gets my thumbs up nevertheless.
I still prefer J. Casanova over Bois Marocain thou
24th January, 2014 (last edited: 13th February, 2014)
Niche incense and woods, just like everyone else is saying here. I smell a lot of green woody opoponax tied to a piney wood smell with a cedar-ish frankincense. By the base, it smells vaguely oud-ish, and the whole thing is quite sweaty. I don't find the woody sweat as off-putting as I do cumin, so it doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could get on someone's nerves.

All in all, I think Bois Marocain is a good woody incense perfume, but this is a genre with a lot of true greats in it. Up against, for example, the CDG Incense collection or some of the Duchoufour L'Artisans, Bois Marocain smells fine but not as compelling. I still think it deserves a thumbs up - it's surely good, but I don't think it's one of the best.
19th January, 2013

Add your review of Bois Marocain

Shop for Bois Marocain products online

Search Amazon for Bois Marocain

Member images of Bois Marocain

There are no member images of Bois Marocain yet. Why not be the first?