Queen (2009)

Queen is a women's fragrance by Queen Latifah. The scent was launched in 2009

Shop for Queen products online

50ml EdP

Reviews of Queen

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

southerngardens's avatar

31st July, 2014

Oldbiddy's avatar

Flat out way to strong, for me! Made me feel faint and sick to my stomach every time i smelled it. put it on a piece of paper and put that piece of paper out in the garage. After a week, this piece of paper still smelled very much of the fragrance, it did not fade much!! And every time i smelled it, i felt sick to my stomach. Wish someone could tell me what was in it that made me feel that way.

22nd July, 2014

LA2000's avatar

There can be few things more onerous to the reputation of a fragrance than to be a celebrity fragrance...on discount...which is why "Queen" turns out to be such a revelation.

"Queen" by Queen Latifah is a sophisticated, complex gourmand which would have no trouble blending in with the sweet, voluptous atmospheres produced by the much more upscale Serge Lutens line. Repackage "Queen" in one of those slender, retangular bottles, slap on a French name, charge $130/50ml, place it along side "Arabie," "Five O'Clock Au Gingembre," "Une Bois Vanille," and "Chergui" on the niche fragrance counter and watch the fumeheads scramble for their wallets.

But here it is...at ROSS, of all places... for $10. How can this be?

Clearly perfumer Steve (who?) Demercado was feeling inspired. I can't imagine they provide much of a budget when it comes to these celebrity marketing exercises. But like one of those contestants on "Project Runway" who is challenged to fashion a couture gown out of a set of old curtains and a ball of twine, he apparently took the opportunity and ran with it. I have no idea where the corners were cut. Between the booze, spices, smoke, and incense, there is a lot going on. And it lasts. And lasts. "Queen" is detectable a full 24 hours after application.

Whether "Queen" is for you really depends on whether you are feeling in a "Lutens-esque" gourmand mood. It is as unisex as a rich, decadent sweet fragrance can manage. While I love these types of fragrances, I find that I don't have much of an occasion to wear them. That is really the only drawback, as far as I am concerned.

But if this genre is for you, or if you just want to wear something that smells niche and expensive for an insanely cheap price, give it a shot.

Simply close your eyes, spray, and imagine the label in French.

(One other note: I don't get the comparisons to "Angel". Other than the fact that it is a gourmand, the two fragrances have very different effects. While I certainly appreciate "Angel" and have worn "AMen" for years, "Queen" feels more sophisticated than those Mugler blockbusters.)

18th June, 2014

Stacie1980's avatar

Great smell, great longevity, great sillage.

It is not identical to Angel and definitely has it's own distinctive personality; but it does have the same gourmand and patchouli overlap that Angel does, but in a softer creamier, subtler way. It reminds me a bit of Shalimar, with the sparkling citrus and bergamot. Perhaps if Shalimar, Opium, and Angel are all hanging out together and trying on dabs of each other. I do not smell any flowers, I get vanilla, mandarin orange, incense, coriander, bergamot, sandalwood, patchouli, and Tonka bean, with a touch of booze.

The opening can be a little screechy, the boozy notes come out in full force on the first squirt. Don't let this put you off; in about 10 minutes the screechy boozy notes faded into the backdrop and settled down, and it became very warm, beautiful, and blended nicely, with pronounced vanilla, spice, and sandalwood at the front and center, and patchouli and citrus quietly humming.

If you like powerhouse scents, and like the gourmand/patchouli vibe of Angel, but want something a little different, or just want a good low cost buy (I would hate to use the word cheap, it is cheap money-wise but so beautifully crafted) I highly recommend it. It is hard to get a tester since it is primarily sold online or in discount stores with no testers out, but it is low cost so definitely worth giving a chance as a blind buy.

16th May, 2014

julesinrose's avatar

I had heard that this smelled similar to Tom Ford's Noir de Noir, so I picked up a bottle on Ebay for $7.49. At that price, I didn't care what I thought of it. I was (and am) surprised how much I like it and how good it is. I find no similarity to Noir de Noir. "Baie Rose" is listed as an ingredient, but I can not detect any rose. I do get quite of that "fruitchouli" Angel vibe, but it is not that. I can not tolerate Angel and have never managed to wear it for more than twenty minutes without needing to scrub.

I loathe cake frosting and this smells nothing like it to me. Yes, this is sweet, but is not cloying to my nose, nor does it have whatever aroma chemicals that create that heady suffocating and often nauseating feeling that most cheap perfumes with even the slightest hint of floral have. Maybe those who feel this is too much for them ought to spray less. I have never applied more than one small spray and I hold it close to my skin.

I'm enjoying Queen quite a bit. I'm sorry I haven't the nose or the knowledge to explain in detail what I smell, but I see folks have had quite some fun writing pithy (and bad) reviews about this cheap scent and I do believe it deserves a thoughtful sniff. I own no department store scents and my taste is generally low key (incense, wood, and tobacco frags), have never liked patchouli, so I think something interesting is going on with this Queen indeed.

05th April, 2014

silentrich's avatar

I bought this originally for myself as it was supposed to smell like Tom Ford Noir de Noir. It does have some similarities, but it's $12 vs $150 + so the comparisons are what you'd expect. On it's own merits this is a nice fragrance for a super cheap price. My wife liked the bottle design and I like it on her much more than on myself.

07th November, 2013 (Last Edited: 04th May, 2014)

Add your review of Queen

Search for on eBay United States

QUEEN LATIFAH BY QUEEN LATIFAH 3.4 OZ EDP FOR WOMEN New Sealed
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 13 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    ***Queen by Queen Latifah Eau De Parfum Spray 3.4 fl. oz.***95% Full LOOK A DEAL
    • Listing Type: Auction
    HIGHEST BID
    Queen of Hearts by Queen Latifah for women Perfume 3.3 / 3.4 oz EDP NEW tester
    • Time Left: 28 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    QUEEN By QUEEN LATIFAH 2 PCS GIFT SET 3.4 Oz EDP SPRAY & BODY BUTTER NEW IN BOX!
    • Time Left: 7 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Queen by Queen Latifah for Women - 3.4 oz EDP Spray (Tester)
    • Time Left: 21 days