Reviews of Chillum

Showing 1 to of 5 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

hoschhti's avatar
    hoschhti
    Germany Germany

Chilum consists only of three ingredients: Tobacco, Mysore Sandalwood and Ginger. The quality is top-notch! I gave it a neutral rating because it's simply not my style. It smells very old-fashioned to me, not that this is a bad thing, but at the age of 30 I feel like I have to wait at least 20 years to wear it with confidence. It has this "elder man sitting with a pipe in a leather armchair"-vibe! Another thing that is a bit distracting is the Ginger: I can't help it, but combined with the beautiful Sandalwood and the musty-dusty Tobacco, Chilum reminds me of smoked ham!

17 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2013)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Chilum is a very nice dry sandalwood centered composition enriched by a touch of tobacco and smoky undertones. After the initial fizzy opening the fragrance quickly evolves into an extremely natural smelling sandalwood base that clearly speaks of quality, honesty and no hype. Simple yet not simplicistic. Any REAL sandalwood lover should definitely give this a chance.

10th September, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

If you don't care for the cistus labdanum in TABAC, you should probably try CHILUM instead. This is a dusty lightly spiced tobacco with none of the sweet-savory vibes commonly associated with tobacco absolue. Apart from a little piquancy in the beginning, I don't get much ginger elsewhere but the somewhat exotic smoky-musty note is unmistakably tobacco. Distinctively masculine, in a mature, world-weary man sort of way. Shoring up the somewhat ephemeral top is probably one of the most complex and enduring sandalwood I've come across, with nuances that remind me faintly of charred timber and woodsmoke. Outstanding.

18 February, 2011

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Chillum smells dry, dusty and mildly spicey, like an old shop whose woodwork has absorbed the molecules of its pungent wares. The scent smells foreign to my experience, so I don't have names for the notes. I find them pleasing to encounter in passing, although the scent wouldn't fit my countenance. If I caught a whiff of Chillum from a passerby, I would stop him and ask what scent he was wearing because it's distinctive and unlike what I think of Americans as wearing. I guess the best summation of Chilum's impression on me is "foreign"--and I mean that in positive way. The only other thing I noticed about the scent is that it seems to fade fairly quickly on my skin.

07 July, 2009

hirch_duckfinder's avatar
    hirch_duckfinder

Chillum

Tabarome Millesime eat your heart out.
    As written on the profumo.it website, this was created as a bespoke fragrance and is built from three ingredients, Ginger, Tobacco, Sandalwood.
    It opens with lots of ginger. Very nice, fresh, green smelling rather than spicy ginger. It smells like the aroma when grating the root into food. Just where it would feel sharp and spicy, at the back of the nose when you breathe in deep and long sits the tobacco note. As the shimmer of the ginger drops down a little, this tobacco comes forward leaving a period of ginger flavoured tobacco, or is it the other way around? The ginger accents the green leafy aspect of the tobacco and the tobacco darkens and warms the spice. This is not a huge tobacco note but a slightly shyer one. Quite soon, the sandalwood comes through into the heart adding a third factor to the balance. It is a slightly vetivery smelling wood to me which keeps the green aspects alive.
    Then the drydown - a very nice balance held together by the santal at centre stage with the other players interacting above.
    The overall effect is a smoky green, without ever smelling burnt. I can see where the name came from.
    Sillage is quite low with this one and longevity medium; the sandalwood remaining after the other notes have drifted away.

This is considerably less complex than the others from this house I have tried thus far though the notes themselves are quite rich and and the balance delicate.

16 June, 2009