Average Rating:

Castoreum information

Castoreum is a unisex fragrance by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo.

Reviews of Castoreum

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

Darvant's avatar

Oh guys, I crave for such type of dirty animalic dark oils! The opening is like to drink a powerful mexican Mezcal since the distillate you are dealing with appears by soon potently animalic, slightly liquorous, fruity (such like a red/dark berrish infuse), smoky, vaguely honeyed (the black musc's typical impenetrable honeyed dirtiness), woody-resinous and somewhat leathery (like a sort of camel, buck, "beaver" or reindeer fur). I feel indeed like to be savouring in front of fire the exquisite smoky Lagavulin while surrounded and covered by animal furs inside a wooden alpine lodge. I detect a sort of fir resin/birch tar undertone and actually just a vague fecal vibe. The combination of forest resins and leather elicits that typical ostensibly berrish-tropical floral undertone while I'm also able to catch in the air a sort of viney spark. The coziness is extreme and you are like enveloped in to a cozy blanket of somnolent bliss and comforting protection. Yes, I would underline the surprising wearability of the potion itself, the pheromonical carnality and its evocative, contemplative and melancholic "side". Frankly a vague conjuration about the By Kilian's Pure Oud turns me to guess this obscure potion includes also a touch of infused real dark agarwood resin. I recommend La Via del Profumo's Castoreum to all those solitary wolves of the night cherishing such these cozy obscure assertive/animalic potions as counterpart against the ubiquitous synthetic glamour metropolitan appalling miasms.

02 July, 2014

xmmmx's avatar

Croatia Croatia

I promised to write a review on Castoreum which I recently ordered . I must say I adore this smell, really earthy, almost woody. At first its kind of sour and reminded me on fermenting fruits, but as it develops on skin, leaves smooth, leather aroma and turns more sweet after some time. Lasts about 4-5 hours depending how much you put. I tried to wear it alone but I would recommend blending it with citrus or some flowers because it smells nice, but maybe it needs something to enhance its odor just to make it more sophisticated. I was surprised when I read that Castoreum is added in industrial foods and it is used to enhance tobacco flavor in cigarets. Maybe that's why I felt I had been familiar with this scent.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2012)

hoschhti's avatar

Germany Germany

Surprisingly this smells very good and is absolutely wearable by itself. Castoreum smells leathery and even a little bit smoky. Although it is animalic, there is definetely no pee-pee or poo-poo going on! It is a deeply cozy and contemplative, reassuring but also authoritative and a bit melancholic scent that evokes images of autumn and childhood memories. There is a slightly chemical note in it which I really like. It gives Castoreum a big part of its appeal, but I have trouble naming that note. Maybe some kind of lacquer? Again I remember this smell from my childhood, but I can't really pinpoint it. I also smell something like vinegar or like the acid in wine! Castoreum is quite complex that one might think it is a composition, but it is in fact a single animalic note - pheromones from a beaver to be precisely. I don't know if I am imagining that, but some aspects of the smell and the overall vibe remind me of Oud! Castoreum can be used for layering, but I find it interesting enough to wear it alone. It's the perfect scent for autumn and winter due to its mysterious character. Luckily it has more longetivity than the other "animals" from Profumo.it.

15 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2011)

Dear Musk's avatar

I was very surprised with this one. It smells very
    familiar but at the same time it's so mysterious and deep.
    It has a bestial and masculine character but wearing it I can also sense a spiritual side of medal.
    To my nose Castoreum smells like a combination of peanut shells, feces, propolis (my favorite;), leather gloves and honey...in other words...I LIKE IT A LOT!!!

18 January, 2010

kess's avatar

Not sure if my sample have mellowed out, but I was expecting something more pungent and animalitic. Instead, upon the immediate application, I smell birch tar, and then something leathery-sweet-smoky. Surprisingly, I could see myself wearing it just by itself.

12 July, 2009

Asha's avatar

Urine, wet cardboard, feces at first. When it dries, it turns more sweet but has a slightly dry, astringent edge--gorgeous. Surprisingly, it has a similar antiseptic note to the synthetic castoreum I have smelled. Real castoreum smells much more floral to my nose, and the antiseptic note seems more herbal rather than like "band-aid". Later, it takes on more of the familiar leather quality I expected from the start, but at the same time has a sort of tropical flower quality to it.

Curious as to whether my vintage Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles parfum contains natural castoreum, I **liberally** applied Profumo's castoreum tincture to one arm...and on the other have applied BaV. The spot of castoreum has a rough beginning, but rather quickly mellows to be sweet, slightly tarry and antiseptic. I have smelled something similar in synthetic castoreum-heavy scents such as Dzing!, but the natural castoreum is much smoother. I think it is a combination of civet and castoreum I smell in BaV, which has a slight root beer quality. Of course, there are other notes such as aldehydes and florals, but the animalics in this vintage juice are far more smooth than the newer EdC I own, and in which I also recognize castoreum and civet (synthetic). On a side note, I smell root beer in castoreum if I waft it from further away.

Castoreum is a "single note" tincture of natural castoreum, and would be great for anybody who likes to make their own blends or for layering.

27 June, 2009