Amaranthine (2009)
    by Penhaligon's

Amaranthine Fragrance Notes

Shop for Amaranthine products online

Reviews of Amaranthine

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

Sweet milk and cardamom – amaranthine opens like some kind of dream pudding. It resembles a number of L’Artisans in the foamy, soft-focus realization of its notes and the discretion of its presence. The whole thing undulates, hanging on to its milky sweetness for the course, but sometimes inflecting towards a faint, waxy green, then moving languidly towards a jasmine dusted with garam masala, with several tiny changes in between. At times the spicing gets a tad heavy and dirty for such a wispy creation but then it shifts again and rights itself. It’s an invitation to laze and daydream. The deep base seems similar to late stage Safran Troublant.

06 November, 2013

victoria5813's avatar
    victoria5813

This has been my favourite perfume for about 12 months. Normally I'm not that enthusiastic about floral scents, but the spicy elements in this really appealled to me. When I first apply it I get a strong, crisp green-floral scent with a bit of a sharp edge. Within a couple of minutes I find the scent warms up and the sharpness transitions into a complex mix of spices and there is a definite stage where I notice the clove and sandalwood scent more so than any distinct florals.

Interestingly, my friend tried this once and none of the depth in this fragrance seemed to come out on her skin. Within 2-3 minutes of contact the perfume had turned into a very soapy flowery scent and I couldn't identify any of the herbal/spice elements. Goes to show how influential skin chemistry and pH can be, I suppose.

My one real complaint about this scent is its longevity. Considering the price of Penhaligon products, this perfume is quite short lived- on me about 2-3 hours max. You need a purse atomiser if you want it around all day.

20th December, 2012

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

I read the reviews to get a handle on this fragrance but it left me more confused. The descriptions of Amaranthine are unlike my experience. I'm getting something so different I think my skin is taking this in its own direction. Its name for me is Ambiguithine. But I like it's chameleon like propensity, nonetheless.
    The opening on me is a dominant dry green leafy note, similar to CdG's "Calamus", all that banana leaf/coriander/tea/cardamon vibe. The freesia note is subtle, more a modifier that keeps the opening from being strictly green, makes it more an ambiguous cool green.
    It slowly becomes more voluptuous, more smooth, more coolly floral, but the green note still has a huge presence, and drives the fragrance for me. There is no heat in it - it's cool, subtle, a little iconoclastic. Where is the naughty note, the corrupted flower? The clove, the ylang-ylang? Apparently my skin cleaned it up.
    The drydown is only vaguely milky and lightly sweeter, but it's by no means a comfort note. With that base it should be fairly strong. But I keep getting that dry green note all the way into drydown.
    My conclusion is whatever that green note, my skin is picking it up and amplifying it. Which is fine - the fragrance just is what it is on a person. I have problems wiith frags when I have expectations and I expected a little bit of skank in this. But none is there. What I get is intriguing, nonetheless, and unique. I call this fragrance cool floral green. I like it - 4 out of 5 stars.

04 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2013)

's avatar

Some perfumes, rather than attempting to stop perfume time (Bulgari Black), embrace it wholeheartedly. Such is the case with Penhaligon's Amaranthine, which is a pretty white floral one moment and a husky come-on the next, resulting from milky lactones deepening a familiar fruity-floral structure. Great, unpretentious fun, and interesting all the way through.

03 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

muskymoi's avatar
    muskymoi

Top note smelled like I had just moisturized with the catch of the day. Drydown was nicer but not so extraordinary as to warrant the purchase price (for my money, anyway).

11th August, 2012

yellow_cello's avatar
    yellow_cello

Mmmmmm.... peppery hothouse flowers and greenery drying down to condensed milk and cocao. I love it! It's bears a lot of resemblance to L'Artisan Parfumeur's Poivre Piquant (another Duchafour), but whereas I don't like PP, I like this alot

01st July, 2012