Yuzu Fou (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseParfum d'Empire
PerfumerMarc-Antoine Corticchiato

About Yuzu Fou

Yuzu Fou is a shared / unisex perfume by Parfum d'Empire. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Marc-Antoine Corticchiato

Reviews of Yuzu Fou

Parfum d'Empire Yuzu Fou: a conceptual ("silent" and meditative) aqueous juice on the traces of a millenary asiatic tradition but yet joined to a classically aromatic/hesperidic french "eau de cologne-like" tradition. In a vague Issey Miyake's initial style (but Oriza L. Legrand jumps too slightly on mind with its Chypre Mousse New's first anisic approach) and not without a touch of oriental fluidy fairy conceptualism, the first blast is incredibly fizzy (kumquat/orange/bergamot), grassy, lymphatic, slightly "art-deco" and aromatic with a punch of "eastern" yuzu, fresh mint, aromatic herbs (a touch of oregano too??), "spiritual" bamboo and musk. Nice opening, slightly medicinal and partially in a L'Eau d'Issey's "mood" (but less floral, greener and without the ozonic elements). Along the evolution the fizziness recedes and a pleasant neroli provides a nice floral-musky sophisticated spark. The dry down evolves in a more properly musky-chyprey (vaguely powdery way) with hints of woods (cedarwood and may be vetiver). Anyway a sort of liquid tea-like hidden fluidity (a la Roger&Gallet The Vert) persists till the end well joined with floral orangy "topics" (neroli for sure, a touch of violet leaves too??). Anyway the floral notes are inebriant and somewhat kind of "orangy/woody/raspberrish-like". The dry down is superb, ethereal-fluidy (still floral-orangy) but all at once musky-organic, still freshly aromatic and warmly powdery. A vegetal floral neo-chypre aromatic Corticchiato's experiment which elicits conceptually that fairy "enchanted pond-like" atmosphere which I detect in (basically different) fragrances as Ninfeo Mio or Nuit Etoilee.
07th November, 2014 (last edited: 05th September, 2015)
By default, I would love this. After all, I am the citrus queen. My male friend tried and bought it a year ago. It smelled nice on him. I then bought a big bottle after having sprayed it and did not walk around the blog and go for lunch as I would normally. Big mistake. It is nice but not that nice. Having smelled yuzu fruit and used several yuzu-scented products while in Japan, I know what Yuzu smells like, This smells a bit of Yuzu and then, some harsh notes, almost like toilet bleach, or some aggressive cleaning product. I am a little disappointed, bacause I seriously thought this might become the star of my citrus collection. The current citrus triumvirate consists, in no particular order, of Bigarade Concentree, Aqua di Parma Blu Arancia di Capri and Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. At least, it is comparably cheap, and they allegedly use mostly natural high quality ingredients.
21st August, 2014
Parfum d'Empire's take on the fresh, summer, bittersweet lime/citrus "eau de cologne" theme. The citrus-yuzu accord is green, vibrant, pungent and earthy, with a pleasant aftertaste of vegetable garden - wet grass and crunchy branches under your feet. The base accord is, again, Corticchiato's signature powdery/chypre blend of mossy notes, hay, white musks with a slight feel of amber and anise, and even perhaps a microscopic hint of vetiver – or however, a similar wet aromatic woods note. And I love to smell this signature accord in pretty much every piece of their line, it's not about being boring or repetitive: it's a stylistic recurrence, it's more about finding a subtle "something" you realise it's always there. I personally like that cozy feeling, it's like coming back home. And I admire Corticchiato's talent in using this without making his scents smell all the same – they have each one its specific personality, and this is just a signature, an inspiration, a common ground, perfectly balanced in a way that it's distinctive, but also unobtrusive. However, aside from that, Yuzu Fou is for me one of the less appealing among Parfum d'Empire line; the earthy/powdery counterpart is nice, round and warm, but apart from that, there's not much else – it's a well-executed, but quite ordinary, bittersweet green leafy/citrus scent. If you are a fan of Parfum d'Empire than you may want this instead of others (as I would do, if I'll ever start using citrus/fresh fragrances), but otherwise, I'm afraid there's no particular reasons to choose this one instead of other "summer scents".

30th January, 2014 (last edited: 09th November, 2014)
yuzu & hinoki

A blast of sparkling, juicy citrus notes, reinforced in mineral, slightly urinous and animalic facets opens Yuzu Fou. The general fresh, sappy feel of the opening is prompted by aromatic, minty, mildly resinous notes that smoothly and impeccably slide in a sweet, green tinged cedar. This phase reminds me the smell of some hinoki (a Japanese variety of cypress) burning sticks I sometimes use.(Only at this point the stated "homage to Japan" this fragrance is meant to be makes some sense to me, but I've never visited Japan, so I can't really tell).

The lasting power is quite good, a good eight hours in warm weather. A beautiful fragrance, as many others in the remarkable PdE line, maybe more on the masculine side.

22nd June, 2013

A surprisingly lively take on the citrus cologne theme! Lemon rind and mint in a green, chilly, and ( obviously ) fresh blast with a distinct green accord holding it together.

It reminds me a bit of the mint lemonade popular in Egypt. And, given how abruptly cooling this scent smells, I wish I'd had Yuzu Fou there!
09th August, 2012
I get a lot of sourness, but to be a good citrus, a fragrance must be more than sour. I don’t like the pairing with mint either. Disappointing.
04th February, 2012

Add your review of Yuzu Fou

Shop for Yuzu Fou products online

Member images of Yuzu Fou

There are no member images of Yuzu Fou yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Yuzu Fou