Mr Blass (2009)

Parent CompanyVapro International

About Mr Blass

Mr Blass is a masculine fragrance by Bill Blass. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Mr Blass

I bought this with high hopes because of the reviews I'd read and because I loved the simple, elegant shape of the bottle. And it's nothing one couldn't wear. However, inexpensive though it is, I felt it was less a leather scent than an incense scent that seemed to suggest a head shop in a half-empty derelict mall that no one really visits anymore. At this price point, I much prefer my drugstore standbys (Brut, Old Spice, or Clubman), and if I want a truly good leather scent, I'll pay $10 more for a bottle of Aramis. But in these times so dominated by aquatics and gourmands, my hat's off to those at Bill Blass for trying to offer something different.
12th July, 2015
I purchased this as a blind buy based on the reviews and the fact it was a very good deal. If you like the 70's/80's frags then this should be right up your alley. It took about two weeks of on and off again wearing to fully appreciate this one. When first applied, there is a strong resemblance to Pierre Cardin, but the Sandlewood note fades very quickly (just walking away from the mist is enough). The remaining Leather, Incense and Vetiver is quite nice. I'm moving this from a Thumbs Down to a Thumbs Up. Just took a little while to warm up to this one.
24th March, 2015 (last edited: 30th April, 2015)

Nice fragrance. Deep, rich cypress / vetiver / amber, construction spiced up the nutmeg, smoothed out with Leather and musk, and highlighted by incense. It reminds me of some of the ‘80s powerhouses, but that not really the case: Mr. Blass doesn’t have the typical development through pyramid levels… it is basically linear. Its aroma is more of a ‘90s composite scent – difficult to separate out the individual notes. The linear accord, itself is composed of lower-key materials which seem to be less synthetic than the typical ‘90s designer offering. And finally, Mr. Blass doesn’t come close to having the longevity of the old powerhouses, which is one of the main drawbacks of some linear fragrances.
This is a very pleasant fragrance and it is offered as at an extremely economical price. Good one.
10th March, 2015
Bergamot, Nutmeg, Cypress, Amber, Vanilla, Leather, Incense, Musk. ( ****accord listing courtesy of fragrantica**** )

Allow me to say I'm not convinced the listing of notes is exactly on the money. I can also say that, in the end, it's not of the utmost importance that the accords be completely accurate since what matters most is the overall quality of this particular scent. I prefer to start describing Mr. Bill Blass in reverse only because it suits me to do so. The thing that disappoints me the most during my wearings is the abysmal longevity I experience. 'Such a shame because I like everything about its aroma, but alas, Mr. Bill Blass the perfume evaporates ( on my skin ) much like the ever-present smoke emanating from the cigarettes of Mr. Bill Blass himself.

Within a meager 20 minutes, what starts out as a very promising retro-contemporary frag seemingly melts into a literal skin scent. It could perhaps be my absorbent skin, but I doubt that even my skin could drink the heavy sprays I applied and leave me wondering what the hell just happened?

Now, with negatives out of the way, allow me to describe what I enjoyed about my wearings of Mr. Bill Blass the perfume. The opening is an excellent bitter citric accord that encompasses smooth and edgy at the same time. The tuning of what I perceive as bitter orange and spicy woods is at once a throwback and yet suitable for the modern man. This has its roots in other notables from bygone days, but skirts the trappings of being a dated masculine. This opening, at least to me, is very enjoyable and fuels expectations for the remainder of the ride. The blending also keeps the significant players forefront while blurring the others and employing them as supporting elements.

What doesn't come to fruition during my wearings is conventional Oriental, Leather, Incense or Vetiver notes. What does transpire in the background is the suggestion that they are there and I have to admit to liking this interpretation very much. By this transition however, the volume and presence of Mr. Bill Blass is already waning and if you're not careful, you may just miss the soft and wispy tobacco note that intermittently graces the nostrils.

Like a new and beautiful Softtail Harley that's equipped with an undersized gas tank, Mr. Bill Blass glides down the road with the intent of stopping every 7 miles to refuel. The ride feels and looks great, but it's over so damn fast you check to see if there's a leak somewhere in your fuel line.

In spite of all this, a thumbs up from SS for Mr. Bill Blass and his premature ejaculating cologne. Even though it's over quickly, it's worth the sprays.
18th February, 2015
Quartz Show all reviews
Bought blind. I'm not great at identifying notes (bergamot, nutmeg, cypress, amber, vanilla, vetiver, leather, incense and musk according to another site) but this smells very nice. It's not at all overpowering but I've found I have to spray a lot if I want it to last. It helps to spray your clothes and hair. Easily worn for any occasion and the price is unbeatable. Overall, a thoroughly excellent scent that I would classify one step above the usual department store stuff. SOmeone mentioned they could not imagine someone disliking ths and I would have to agree.
31st October, 2014
Mr. Blass by Bill Blass is a rather linear yet richly complex fragrance upon first sprays (DO NOT over-spray with this one) with top-notes of base citrus and green, rain-soaked woods.

Mid-notes offer up a heavy and intoxicating smoldering amber ember, well worn and expensive dark leather, mandarin orange, key lime and mint. It pretty much stays exactly that way through a very pleasant, long and subtle "fade-out" dry-down. This is a BIG EDT from House of Blass...a beautiful and powerfully fragrant composition with fantastic longevity, very respectable sillage (when applied judiciously) being sold at what could be considered "bargain basement" pricing all adds up to a must-have...believe me, get it and you'll agree.

A value-oriented and timeless powerhouse that's within everybody's budget ...what more could you ask for?
01st March, 2014

Add your review of Mr Blass

Shop for Mr Blass products online

Shop for Mr Blass at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Mr Blass

Member images of Mr Blass

There are no member images of Mr Blass yet. Why not be the first?