Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 15 ratings

Hyle Fragrance notes

Lemon, Bergamot, Myrtle, Lavender, Ginger, Ozone, Musk notes, Juniper wood, Patchouli

Hyle information

Hyle is a unisex fragrance by Farmacia SS. Annunziata.

Reviews of Hyle

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

ClassicFan's avatar

This is a strange acquatic. It has barely some ozone and much more noticable myrtle and lavender. It comes off a little like overchewed bubble gum. The juniper wood is more noticable and as it comes in it improves the scent, but ultimately the sillage is nonexistent and there's little longevity. For the price it's not worth it.

22nd November, 2014

afartherroom's avatar

I would be one of those reviewers who found this too iodiney for my tastes. I think I was just expecting something rather more complex from it. Once the first blast of citrus top notes were gone, however, all I could smell was iodine. Iodine and a bit of salt, and that's it. This did make it a passable replication of the smell of salt water, but not a very interesting one. Nor even a *terribly* realistic one, really: yes, the ocean does smell like iodine, but not quite *that* much like iodine! To my nose, something more is needed to achieve a realistic briney sea scent. Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive to that iodine smell, but it really drowned out everything else for me, and I found the effect both overwhelming and really rather monotonous.

Only once the dry-down came, hours later, could I get anything from this but that singular, incredibly overpowering iodine smell. Unfortunately, however, what I got from it then was...well, a somewhat medicinal fragrance quite a bit like that of a medicated pet shampoo that I used to use to wash my dog. I think that was probably the myrtle. Not an unpleasant scent, necessarily, but one with rather unfortunate associations for me.

Eh. I didn't find this unpleasant, precisely, but it didn't impress me much either. I guess I was hoping something more complex and interesting, and ideally far less linear as well. In my opinion, the realistic marine accord has been done much better elsewhere. If you like the smell of iodine, though, then you should definitely check this fragrance out!

29th October, 2012

Kaern's avatar

The opening to this is really weird -- like a salty breeze hitting you occasionally -- I can't actually locate any distinguishable citric notes. I do detect some ginger and patchouli late on, but the saltiness dominates. I would call this a hybrid of Vetiver de Sel and Voyage by Hermes -- not a bad union. Very nice.

PS. Odin of New York have relased 2 more fragrances to their original line of 4 -- No.6 & 7 (Chanel won't let anybody use No.5 as a name). No. 6 also has a marine note (not calone) along with it's aromatic greeness and is absoulutely gorgeous. This niche outfit are blowing Bond No.9 away.

The Italian based, Profumi del Forte have released 3 'Colognes' at a slightly cheaper price than their others. All are delicious, but No.3 is outstanding. Don't worry about the 'cologne' tag either-- I could smell this on my hand 24 hours after applying.

08th May, 2012

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

To me, Hyle is the ultimate marine fragrance. Thankfully I get no rancid melon or synthetic aquatic notes, just a big blast of natural-smelling salt. And unlike other reviewers I can't get enough of iodine in my fragrances - I already have and love the super-salty Fleurs de Sel and Sel du Vetiver, but they have other notes in them that make them less marine so I definitely see a need for a purely marine salt fragrance as well. Heeley Sel Marine is the best straight marine scent I've smelt previously, but that one's just softly salty - Hyle is like the stormy open sea to Sel Marin's calm brackish bay. I get no sweetness out of it - it's as invigorating and refreshing as the herbal-citrusy cologne one might expect it to be from the notes, though I don't discern any of those notes. It does however have a certain mellow warmth to it which makes me begin to understand what some reviwers smell apart from iodine, but that's all the better as truly cold aquatic fragrances don't work for me.

13th March, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

Perhaps I placed too much credence in the Luckyscent blurb for this scent, which promised a briny, crisp, salty blast of oceanic air; bristling with freshness. The notes list seemed promising.
    On my skin, this is a slightly dusky and definitely powdery scent. There is not the slightest trace of anything crisp, fresh, or oceanic here. None.
    Soft and powdery, a bit sweet... Sometimes like a warm plastic kid's toy or a soapy shampoo bottle left in the sun. Sometimes with a fleshy-musky note which reminds me of Cumming. Where are the myrtle, lavender, ginger, juniper? MIA.
    Soft musk and a hint of patchouli appear in the dry-down.
    This is not a horrid scent. But given what I was expecting, it does not live up to that.

11th February, 2011

The “ozone” in Hyle is very nicely done: amid the citrus (lemon and bergamot) and floral (myrtle) opening, the ozone is an excellent, salty, not-highly-synthetic smelling pleasantry. This opening accord is made fresher with ginger, and the whole impact is of cleanliness and clarity – the cleanliness and clarity of a good anti-dandruff shampoo… at this price, I think I’ll try to aim a little higher.

21st April, 2010