HisStory (2003)

Year of Launch2003

About HisStory

HisStory is a masculine fragrance by Avon. The scent was launched in 2003

Reviews of HisStory

HisStory is like a final chapter in the unintentional saga of Uomo Avon (2000), Modern Balance (2001), Paradigm (2002). Avon is both famous and notorious for some of it's fragrances that can either be total "me too" drivel, completely anachronistic styles within the time they are released, or shockingly original but bizarre as to be love-it-or-hate-it affairs. Sometimes all that coal they press does occasionally make diamonds, but most won't acknowledge it. Granted, they do a lot of play-it-safe maneuvers in the men's department with subtly unique twists (see Wild Country, Black Suede, or Mesmerize for Men), and those are unsurprisingly the ones that are best-received and stay in production. To truly understand HisStory, we have to briefly touch upon it's predecessors in this accidental four piece of "chypres" (they're not but Avon calls them such), and as I've reviewed them as well, I'll keep their descriptions brief here. Uomo Avon started this whole woodsy aromatic "chypre" theme right at a time when Avon was really seeking to expand it's male consumer base, to the point of a separate men's shoppe catalog within a catalog. I remember as a teenager seeing these on the counter at a local gas station I worked for, as the owner's wife sold the stuff (of course), and I was bedazzled at the sheer array of scents in very novel-looking bottles (another Avon hallmark) right before me. I endeavored to try (meaning buy) them all, and what I found is a third of them smelled like flankers to designer scents I couldn't afford, a third of them smelled like perfectly safe fragrance tropes Uncle Chuck would be willing to wear to a dance, and then the remaining third were just odd yet appealing in ways I couldn't fathom. Uomo was in that third category, and later I would find out that it was essentially a modern take on classic aromatics with a focus on woods, musks, and green accords. It didn't sell well and was gone in just a few "campaigns" (Avon sales periods).

Modern Balance came out 1 year later and it pushed more vibrancy, like seriously tons of oomph, with some kind of mint, and a ton of projection. Paradigm came out 1 year later from this and smelled like Uomo Avon revisted with touches of Aramis (1965); the musk and greens were gone, replaced with MORE woods and aldehydes, making an oddly tart accord that gave the fragrance a really sharp smell but was super classy/formal. That one became my go-to for fancy outings as a young man, but it too was discontinued, only to be relabeled twice in the same bottle for two different overseas markets (Class Act/Aspire) and then relaunched a 4th time under it's third name with a different bottle design (recycling for different markets is yet another Avon hallmark). Right as Paradigm goes out a year after it's release in comes HisStory, revising one final time the odd woodsy pseudo-chypre concept Avon was wrestling with by making it very green once again (but not as green as Avon Uomo), and adding a nubuck suede note to sex it up. Here we had a super fresh and super swanky aromatic all in one, the second coming of Eau Sauvage.(1966) mixed with a bit of Bogart by Jacques Bogart (1975) if it was made on the Avon $19.99 per-bottle budget, and it mostly worked. Underneath the hood of this bullet-shaped metallic painted cap of 60's through 70's inspiration lies a cologne that shares a heartbeat with the aforementioned Avon predecessors, but is more complex than any of them, yet also more focused.

It's almost entirely a balsamic scent outside the lemon and leather, but it works. This makes HisStory seem more period-correct but only at glance. I like to think this would appeal to a young person who slicks back their hair with vintage pomades and prefers classic 60's fins to 80's import cars but isn't from those eras. This is a prime example of how Avon embraced it's long-held anachronisms in the early 2000's by putting a new spin on them, and it's a shame they've tamed themselves into following fashion trends nowadays, but I guess they gotta play the angles to pay the bills too. Today's economy is not a place to experiment, in ANY market, let alone one as fickle as fashion. Bottom line is the person who will love HisStory is the person that can appreciate vintage sensibilities with modern construction and likes bold, challenging displays of artistry on a budget. Best of all, it's still quite affordable despite being discontinued. I guess more of it was made or it didn't sell as well as Avon may have hoped. It's also odd in that it's one of the few Avon fragrances with a perfumer pedigree, as Calice Becker developed this for the label before moving on to higher-end houses. It's a true unsung low-budget diamond in the rough, but still not exacting enough for the scrutiny of niche fans. Very interesting!
18th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd March, 2018)
This is basically a 100 percent herbal perfume, I cannot smell anything else but grass and some other herbal notes and nothing else.
Although I like herbal scents, this one concentrates in just one single concept, and that makes it boring and unattractive to me.
And the "coup de grâce" that finally kills this fragrance is its poor longevity and nonexistent sillage.
I am not surprised it was discontinued.
21st December, 2014
Erok32 Show all reviews
Synthetic but pleasant. I Smell vanilla, sandalwood, mint, and grass. I wear it casually and the the gym. I like it.
02nd August, 2012
Izzy Show all reviews
This is good stuff reminds me of Curve in a way. I've gotten lots & lots of compliments when wearing this fragrance, very versatile. This is great for the outdoors if in an office go easy on on the trigger.
02nd August, 2011
Grassy -- often I like grassy frags, but not this one. Grassy, powdery, chemical smelling, sharp and offensive. HisStory is History for the most part, and thank goodness it is.

Its only redeeming quality is its nice sleek bottle.
14th April, 2010
I just LOVE fragrance n one my buddy gifted me this since his wife deals with AVON products....

I have a lot designer fragrance to choose from but still I give this guy a chance to prove himself but unfortunately didnt do for me....

In short didnt like it so far...
05th October, 2009

Add your review of HisStory

Shop for HisStory products online

Search Amazon for HisStory

Member images of HisStory

There are no member images of HisStory yet. Why not be the first?