Midnight Oud (2009)
    by Juliette Has a Gun

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 63 ratings

Midnight Oud information

Midnight Oud is a women's fragrance by Juliette Has a Gun. The scent was launched in 2009

Shop for Midnight Oud products online

100ml EdP
    $184.01*
    100ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 110.00)

Reviews of Midnight Oud

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

If you're into oud and rose combo and you want something complex with good quality and pleasant smell, this is a very good choice.
    The opening is a warm and sweet vanilla scent mixed with oud, rose and saffron.
    The oud note is strong but at the same time very well balanced with the other notes. vanilla is sweet but not syrupy or sugary. just sweet enough to tune down the bitterness woody aroma of the oud and at the same time give the scent a sensual feeling.
    Both rose and saffron are at the same level of power at the start and they are supporting vanilla and oud very well.
    In the mid the oud note settles down a little bit and rose goes to the background. at this part I can smell a dirty musky animalic feeling which gets stronger as time passes by but it's always a few steps behind saffron, vanilla and oud.
    The mid is a very pleasant and gorgeous scent and I believe it's the best part of the fragrance.
    The base is a simple creamy vanilla, very soft saffron and a little bit of patchouli completely in the background. oud is almost gone and there is no sign of that animalic musky feeling.
    In the description of the fragrance it says feminine but this can be unisex for sure.
    Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
    Overall it's a quality and well balanced rose, oud and saffron dominated fragrance but it's not my cup of tea at all because it contains a note that I truly hate! ROSE!
    Thumbs up for the quality and overall smell.
    Thumbs down for my own taste!

19 July, 2014

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Up front MO smelled initially like a medicine cabinet, dentists office, or some type of anesthesia. This medicine-y type of aura is met by the saffron, which softens the heaviness of the initial impression. For me, this is off the bat a rose oud/patchouli mix as far as I can tell. Other notes stand out, too. The castoreum is not prominent, compared to the rose and oud notes, but you can tell itís there. And it adds a little bit of a twist to this scent, though ultimately not affecting it one way or the other. Later on, the musk and patchouli appear, and it basically dies down from there, though I donít find that any other combination of notes ruins the mix of the rose/oud. Iím not sure what to think. I donít hate it, but I donít really like it either. Iím not sure I would even want to smell this on a girl. Itís not that Iíd hate it, but this just doesnít do anything for me personally.

I think if you like rose and oud then you will like this. I am not a big fan of rose - it just smells too feminine to me. So, I do not agree with some who have said this is somewhat masculine, but of course this is just personal opinion. But if you like those two main notes, in a strong, but not overly intoxicating way, then MO might be a good option.

19 March, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

Spicy Rose & Oud that smells like a lot of others of it's ilk. I agree with others that say it smells like Dark Rose by Czeach & Speake. Ok but nothing I would go out of my way to purchase.

26 October, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Is this supposed to be an oud for those afraid of its wild, voluptuous, ragged beauty? Here it is presented in a refined and quite light setting, opening with a big dose of sweets to make it all the more palatable. Well, it works sort of, but I doubt it will fascinate oud lovers. Better for easing someone of a timorous disposition gently into oud's company. The drydown loses the sweetness and is more woody and even a bit soapy. Attractive but also restrained. Well-made, but I can't help feeling it misses the point somewhat.

30th May, 2012

tonileefiore's avatar

In a new quest to expand my very limited "go-to" fragrance wardrobe, I decided to re-visit incense based potions 'cause I really love the smell of mixed incense a lot!! Not being a fan, however of the "church" incense scents, I decided to try fragrances with oud, mixed "incense" notes and a host of other elements listed as fragrant notes.

Additionally, I recently purchased an open bottle of Kilian's "Incense Oud," after sampling the fragrance and falling in love! However, with a price tag of $395/1.7 ml, I hoped to find a more affordable alternative. Additionally, detractor's of Kilian's IO cite the absence of any true "oud" in the ingredient notes, as well as the perfume's aroma. So, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to sample JHAG "Midnight Oud" as well as a few other oud fragrances.

After sampling "Midnight Oud," I, uhhh...I think I understand what pure oud fragrance is all about. Yet, after closely reading other reviews of this fragrance, perhaps I do NOT know what a REAL oud fragrance smells like after all. Truth is, I'm confused; yet after sampling "Midnight OUd," I am not sure that I WANT to know what a true or truer oud IS all about. I simply didn't like this fragrance.

I am not a parfum or oud expert by any means; however on my body, this fragrance wore as a completely linear oud scent. I positively and without question identified the dark, earthy, dirty, woody, resinous scent of fungally infected agarwood tree bark in this parfum. I feel like the odd person out here and I certainly do not wish to offend any of my fellow Basenoters who LOVE this fragrance. Having said that, to my nose the opening of this fragrance is a wee-bit odd (perhaps this is the saffron or rubbery note some reviewers mention), very heady, pungent, heavy (like, almost oppressively so) and loaded with oud...lots and lots of oud.

The JHAG Website describes this fragrance as "...heavy oriental notes of traditional ouds represented in a very wearable and refined manner...a bridge between the perfect balance of rose-chypre-patchouli and the purest oud perfume note." With exceptional longevity and lots of sillage, I primarily smelled linear oud notes throughout the entire wear of this fragrance-opening, middle and base.

At one mini mid-point (approximately 10-15 minutes after application), I detected a rather pungent, animalic, dirt & dirty, foul, musk-y kinda urine note that others have cited, which fortunately didn't linger (although I thought I was gonna have to scrub for a few moments there). Morphing back to its overwhelmingly linear oud note, I did not find Midnight Oud to be a bridge between much of anything even faintly resembling rose or patchouli, nor did I find it to be very refined, complex or wearable.

I imagine that for pure oud lovers, this fragrance might be a real winner. Also, "fragranceluvr" summed it up nicely by describing this parfum as "trendy & fun versus elegant or urbane." For my tastes, Midnight Oud is not complex enough, waaaay too masculine and not a fragrance I would ever wear. If you've experienced Kilians "Incense Oud," you may understand my sentiments. Just alright, "Midnight Oud" is simply not for me.

17 November, 2011

SirSlarty's avatar

It's oud. Good job making something that closely resembles oud that's bearable enough to wear for the "mass market". Don't normally like oud but this made me raise an eyebrow.

15 July, 2010