Daphne (2009)
    by Daphne Guinness

Daphne information

Created by Comme des Garcons

Reviews of Daphne

Showing 1 to 6 of 16 reviews.

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

I loved it at the opening, smelled refined, bright, exotic, and creamy white bouquet of flowers.....

Then it turned into a messy soup:-) yes and veery powdery, bitter, and dry powdery and sweet and very retro....180 degrees change from bright summery scent into an old lady powdery mess:-)

But the dry down on blotter lasted for weeks! Why are they in so many occasions beautiful?

I go neutral on my first impression.

24 March, 2013

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Daphne just hasn't been able to win me over. It smells a lot like a natural perfume, but in a bad way. Sometimes natural perfumes can get so complex that they become a bit of a sweet flowery resinous mess, and I'm afraid that's what Daphne smells like to me, though it's concentrated more like a loud EDP than a subtle natural oil blend.

So what does it actually smell like? Well, there's indolic, slightly creamy tuberose mixed with some sort of resin that smells like sweet fake oranges. And then it's got that weird fish food/pet shop odor I get in some natural perfumes. There's a ton more going on that's contributing to all this, I'm sure, but the tuberose/fake orange/pet shop mix is my best description. Not for me...

24 February, 2013

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

This one reminds me strongly of a favourite of mine; Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon by Pilar & Lucy. lt has the same blend of tuberose, amber, incense & spices, combining to produce a "headshop" vibe which is very appealing to me. The tuberose is perhaps a little fruitier here, & the amber turned down a notch, but overall it is strikingly similar. From here it remains very linear, except for a whiff of myrrh in the heart. The projection is good, & it lasts a good six hours before fading.
    l like this fragrance a lot; it is exotic & different, but it has made me pine for another bottle of Tiptoeing.. which is, after all, less expensive, & less fruity.

23 January, 2013

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

A wild romp - so retro, so '60's, so fun, an explosion of notes. In spite of it's big overstuffed grocery cart of notes, the barely contained cornucopia of vivid olfactoriness, it manages to hang together.... actually, it's got that '60's mentality of letting it all hang out. No secrets here, just lots of living, expressing, and emoting. It's great! This strikes me as a fragrance you need to just go with, and then you get along with it just fine. You can trust it like the wild roommate you had in college - lots of fun, a friend. It's an attitude fragrance, and if you're going to get all analytical about it, it's probably not for you - this is not a cerebral fragrance.
    That being said, what with it's deserved reputation for hanging in there and partying until the next day, this fragrance can stay too strong, too insistent in the drydown, when you're ready to quit partying. With such a powerful drydown, you have to like the note it becomes at that point, which is a jasmine/tuberose woody amber, and be willing to go with it.
    The solution is a subtle touch with the application. I slathered indiscriminantly with my sample, and it was a force to be reckoned with until the next day. Wow. It really does require judiciousness - a spray in the air, then walking through it, and perhaps a dab at pulse points (but not all of them!).
    Great, but consider yourself warned.

12 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2013)

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

An SA at Aedes was picking out tuberose scents for me, and we were going thrugh the store. I tried the Malle, the L'Artisan and then he sprayed Daphne on a mouillette and handed it to me. I gave it a quick sniff. I kept testing scents until I had a handful of mouillettes and I couldn't remember which perfume was which. Before I decided on my final purchase (Carnal Flower) I revisited all the scents in my hand. When I resniffed Daphne, it struck me as by far the loveliest and the most feminine. I handed the mouillette back to the SA and asking, can you remember which one this is, and he sniffed it, and told me, "It's the Commes des Garcons..." So while it is not what I was looking for that day (a tuberose soliflore), it haunted me with it's abstraction, until I bought a bottle about a week later.
    Daphne is now in my top ten for a few reasons, it is a big complicated floral that dries down to incense, 1-2 sprays last forever, and in my mind it represents everything decadent that I love about perfumes.

20th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2011)

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Daphne Guinness is probably 1 ingredient away from being a total soup, but as it stands, itís about as full a perfume as you can make. Citrus/resinous, hugely floral, incense/oud. And thatís just the starting place.

It seems to start as a sort of oud floriental with an enormous bitter, resinous orange note and saffron and Iíd swear some bay or some other green culinary herb. From there it kaleidoscopes through densly floral combinations as well as classic amber, vanilla, patchouli accords. This is not so much a perfume with a classic three-tiered progression as one built of mostly basenotes. In this sense, itís probably categorically closest to an oriental. Although they have different tones, the elements all seem to share roughly the same density. From the topnotes through the heartnotes they just bounce off each other and youíre constantly smelling some new accord take flight.

By the drydown, DG feels like an incense chypre, with a three-part patchouli/oud/labdanum combo in lieu of a classic moss/labdanum base. Oud is the overused, overstated perfume element of the last few years and due to its potent nature, it is usually at the heart of an accord. But using a moderate dose of oud along with patchouli and labdanum to resemble a chypre base seems like one of the more inventive uses of the material.

02 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2011)

Add your review of Daphne