Black Afgano (2009)

Black Afgano information

Black Afgano is a unisex fragrance by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009

Shop for Black Afgano products online

Reviews of Black Afgano

Showing 1 to 6 of 43 reviews.

FruitDiet's avatar

My stylish bohemian sister wears this stuff. It's a pleasure to be around because it's very 80s--despite all the drug/niche/edgy marketing it presents itself like Samsara with the gourmand elements removed. It's very greasy-animalic at first but dries down to a thunderous ambient powdery sandalwood oud. Spray it on fabric and you'll be smelling it for months. I have to disagree with anyone who says that this is a copy of M7--M7 is EDT strength compared to the Samsara bombast of Afgano. It has that "narcotic" effect that original Poison EDP had, along with Opium and Carnal Flower, where you feel like you're going to blissfully pass out from its intensity. Department store fragrances used to be like this but I guess it's only available to the extremely wealthy now.

Nasomatto seem to have taken people's asinine internet complaints about its strength to heart, as it's not quite as strong as it used to be. I'll never for the life of me understand why people publicly air their desire for perfumes to be diluted and then complain about reformulation when the company actually does it.

Great stuff, but I can't wear it because it belongs to her.

25th February, 2015

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Black Afgano starts out very, very strong. Just a spray behind each ear and that is all you need. I also sprayed one time on my arm. This was at 7:30 am and it is now 1:00 pm and I can still smell it. The first initial spray is incense and oud in a very strong way. I do smell the cannabis after it has dried down. I wore it today in the day time BUT I really recommend it for night time wear. Even cool or cold nights. This fragrance is of very high quality and very potent which I love.

29th January, 2015

Duke Hunt's avatar

Notes: cannabis, herbal notes, resins, woods, coffee, tobacco, frankincense, oud

So today I finally got around to sampling the enigmatic and mythical Basenotes legend Black Afgano. With all the excessive hype and propaganda from the Nasomatto marketing machine, coupled with mixed reviews meant my expectations weren’t especially high (no pun intended). Then again smuggled ingredients, supposed extreme scarcity and the “evocation of temporary bliss” what’s not to be curious about.

First impressions? Mixed. I wasn’t overly impressed and it didn’t draw any “wow factor”, but my nose didn’t curl up and proclaim “bong water!” either. Worthy of the hype? No. Do I like it? Yes. Does it smell like Play-Doh? Kind of!

I’d describe the overall scent as dark, dry, resinous and austere with a very feint hint of sweetness attributed to a dry amber/vanilla/incense lurking underneath the beast notes. Straight out of the bong you’re greeted with a dense aroma chemical sucker punch made up of synthetic Givaudan oud, coupled with an underpinned cedar effect in the form of Kephalis (which is an Iso-E-Super substitute, only with a more woodier/smokier feel).

Finally I can make out some quite prominent vetiver/tobacco notes, adding to the “greenness” which the general nose picks up. I may be off, but I definitely feel like I’m picking up one of the main players here and that’s Norlimbanol™, which is described as an “extremely powerful woody/animal amber note. That has a dry woody note in the patchouli direction”.

As described by Chandler Burr, “Norlimbanol is one of the most amazing scents around, a genius molecule that should be worth its weight in gold; Norlimbanol gives you, quite simply, the smell of extreme dryness, absolute desiccation, and if when you smell it, you’ll understand that instantly—the molecule is, by itself, a multi-sensory Disney ride.”

It’s this same compound which I believe gives the scent its subtle leathery undertones along with the amber. Don’t be too impressed with my ability to pick out aroma chemicals though! I recently purchased a slew of them in a vain attempt to try my hand blending, so I’ve gotten to know them quiet well individually, but anyways, I digress.

Coming back to the scent and the million dollar question, does it warrant the name? In short no. If you inhale deeply and concentrate you can pick up some very feint superficial passing resemblances to hashish, but overall I personally don’t believe the name is warranted.

As for the final scent, it’s just as you’d expect it to be, it’s dense and the oud note is by far the dominant player making it very linear and overshadowing of everything else, but if you’re a fan of Dior Leather Oud, Bond No.9 Harrods Oud or Montale Aoud Cuir D’Arabie, then this one could be right up your street. (although BA is nowhere near the level of quality, originality and complexity of the latter listed scents, in my humble opinion of course.)*

Overall I’ll agree that it’s a well rounded aromatic fragrance, but I’ll also agree that it’s potentially “missing something” too. The longevity it boasts is extremely impressive and to be expected from an extrait de parfum, but the sillage is minimal unfortunately. With all that said, will I be buying a bottle? Probably!

Rating: 5/10
    Longevity: 10/10
    Projection: 6/10
    Occasion: Casual-Semi formal

22nd December, 2014

Emoe's avatar

Firstly, this gets thumbs up from me because I love dark woody Oud heavy scents, some don't.

This does indeed have a very heavy deep fragrance to it, straight out the nozzle it's like a WWF wrestler with a 2x4 smacking you in the face!

This doesn't seem to stop and I've heard most Nasomatto frags are like this.

If you're shy, DONT bother with any of these, they're louder than a megadeath concert.

Twenty minutes and the harsh smack in the face diminishes.....I said diminishes, not goes away! It's always there lurking in the background like a demented wasp with a shotgun, ready to give you the good news! That normally happens when you turn your head and get a whiff if you applied behind your ears!

For the next ten to twelve hours. You'll keep getting the odd slap in the face from it, and some May get an oily deep bottom note.

Here's the thing, I love this frag and I wear it VERY FRUGALLY. The tiniest squirt is all you need, none of this wrists, elbows and ears lark!
    I did that once, and I tell you, this frag can actually make you nauseous after a while if you get a bit happy with the atomiser!
    You have been warned!

30th August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Black Afgano goes on beguilingly smoky and bitter, with raspy green notes, biker’s leather, and earthy vetiver, but the composition slips out of balance after a few minutes, as a harsh herbal-medicinal accord (presumably the “hashish” reconstruction) overwhelms all of the rest. Why anyone would want to smell of disinfectant and reefer is beyond me. I gather Black Afgano aims to provide a titillating, transgressive olfactory experience, but to me it smells a lot like a cancer ward where medical marijuana is in use. That's not provocative - just depressing.

Leaving aside those associations, I still find Black Afgano too crude, abrasive, and overbearing to succeed as a personal fragrance. Granted, it’s not meant to be comfortable, but it lacks the underlying warmth that renders such other deliberately uncomfortable scents as Onda, Yatagan, and Or Black so seductive. This is just loud, vulgar, and sloppy. The preciously "clever" concept and crudely composed fragrance illustrate everything that can go wrong in niche perfumery.

09th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is pungent, bitter and sour with a nice black-green blend of balsamic notes with an edible, crunchy and poisonous heart, on a sticky, dense and black base of aoud, stuffed with dry echoes and burnt-tires vibes. A nice note floats around, something halfway fruity and balsamic, which gives dynamism to the structure and counter-balances the overall bitterness and dryness. A bit better than other aouds, surely worse than many others, I don't get the hype. It's basically a less interesting, less elegant, less powerful, less-everything M7 which smells like a hundred of other low-key aouds. Pretentiously dull.

14th May, 2014

(Shipping from Kuwait)
    Nasomatto Black Afgano Parfum Extrait 1 ML Glass Sample Vial Sample
    • Time Left:
    (Shipping from United States)
    Nasomatto Black Afgano 1oz (90% full)
    • Time Left: 3 days