Black Afgano (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseNasomatto
PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Black Afgano

Black Afgano is a shared / unisex perfume by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Black Afgano

Smoky.
Burnt.
Smoldering.
Wet ashtray.
Black coffee in bed.
Tree sappy.

Arty, manly, lumberjack noise. I like it a lot.
29th October, 2017
Some years ago, the hype around Black Afgano was so heated that it was difficult to think of approaching it with a cool head. Today, one wonders what all the fuss was all about. It is a solidly made perfume, decently balanced for a such a full-throttle blend of spicy incense and resinous woods, but I smell little that distinguishes it from a legion of butch creations in a similar manner spanning the range from some Amouage offerings, to Montales and on to the many designers that have opened up the box labelled ‘rugged, spicy oud’.
There’s smoke, there’s some leather going ‘Grrr’, there’s old-boy tobacco, in a mix that’s aimed at being dark and decadent but is now shorthand for a certain kind of knuckle-dragging perfumery masculinity. I suppose it is welcome that the makers market it as a unisex scent. But beyond that, this really isn’t dope, even though it claims to smell like it. Nope, I have loved ones who are warriors for cannabis freedom in their dreams but nothing about Black Afgano reminds me of anything they’ve ever brought to my nose. Kinski does a much more convincing job on that front. What Black Afgano does have is a pinch of pungent dried herbals in the mix, resembling crushed fenugreek and curry leaves, that mixes effortlessly with the spice.
Good if you like powerhouses in this manner. I find I’ve had enough of their persistent personalities after a few hours.
21st October, 2017
Amazing intensity, quality and my favorite from Nasomatto with Duro a close second.
Landshark described it perfectly, I don't have much to add.
Probably not the most versatile fragrance out there and definitely not work safe unless you work in a coffee shop in Amsterdam or undercover at a Phish concert.

One of my guilty pleasure scents.
15th October, 2017
This is a beautiful scent!
Opens with a huge blast of cannabis and a resinous, sticky greenness that last for 3-4 hours, before being joined by lots of aromatic woody notes and a spicy incense, almost with a sweet and smokey accord.
I also get wafts of a deep intense floral note, although none is listed in the profile, and i think it may well be a blend of the coffee and tobacco?
I find this so easy to wear and not at all overpowering, although it is thunderously strong and lasts over 24 hours on my skin and projects like a beast.
I was in a coffee shop and the barrista was asked what frag she had on, to which she replied, 'It's not me, it's the guy sat upstairs', I'd gone in there 20 mins earlier!

Is it really unisex? Yes, as to my nose it's not overtly feminine or masculine but should be viewed as a truly remarkable piece of perfumery that has created a delectable scent that is powerful without being overbearing, sweet but never cloying and an absolute joy to wear!!
23rd September, 2017
This smells less like hashish and more like the spent ash you throw away several days after you've smoked hashish. High concept, underwhelming implementation, but interesting for what it is, a phenolic/animalic/plastic mishmash.
05th July, 2017 (last edited: 29th August, 2017)
I'm going to apologize in advance for posting a newbie review, but the drydown of this (BA) smells like Playdough. I couldn't get that smell off of me,it smelled kind of like cola in the beginning(great, beautiful) , but then faded to Playdough, like stale playdough.
Wanted to love this based on the reviews, but maybe I am too picky. Thanks for listening.
27th June, 2017