Black Afgano (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseNasomatto
PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Black Afgano

Black Afgano is a shared / unisex perfume by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Black Afgano

Salutation.
Another fragrances everyone love or hate it.BLACK AFGANO is great for lovers of strange especially smoky scents.it is not suitable my style but really a long lasting scent with superb finish.definitely one for the guys who want to stand out from the crowd. a magic potion full of mysterious cannabis,resins, strong tobacco and incense is just intoxicating, especially in the winter months. Potent,Heavy,Enticing,Expensive,Deep, Dark,Decadent, Woody,Addictive,and Perfectly Unique.

Exotic ingredients such as resins and coffe for spiciness and incense and oud for a touch of unexpected swagger mix with green notes and tobacco for a composition full of the intrigue of other lands.it is conspicuously alluring and mysteriously attracting.the dry down is so deep and dark. BLACK AFGANO is not for the faint of heart.i would recommend this one to anyone who wants to smell unique and overpowering.perfect for a smoker. great for an snowy night.definitely test it first.

Sillage?Amazing.

Longevity?Remarkable on my skin.

7.5/10

15th May, 2015
Darth Vader's choice for a night at the club.
11th March, 2015
Intriguing fragrance and very different to everything I own or have tried to date. Unfortunately, Nasomatto does appeal to me a house because of the small size of their offerings.

This is something I would love to receive as a gift and definitely would wear it anytime I got a chance.
09th March, 2015
My stylish bohemian sister wears this stuff. It's a pleasure to be around because it's very 80s--despite all the drug/niche/edgy marketing it presents itself like Samsara with the gourmand elements removed. It's very greasy-animalic at first but dries down to a thunderous ambient powdery sandalwood oud. Spray it on fabric and you'll be smelling it for months. I have to disagree with anyone who says that this is a copy of M7--M7 is EDT strength compared to the Samsara bombast of Afgano. It has that "narcotic" effect that original Poison EDP had, along with Opium and Carnal Flower, where you feel like you're going to blissfully pass out from its intensity. Department store fragrances used to be like this but I guess it's only available to the extremely wealthy now.

Nasomatto seem to have taken people's asinine internet complaints about its strength to heart, as it's not quite as strong as it used to be. I'll never for the life of me understand why people publicly air their desire for perfumes to be diluted and then complain about reformulation when the company actually does it.

Great stuff, but I can't wear it because it belongs to her.
25th February, 2015
Black Afgano starts out very, very strong. Just a spray behind each ear and that is all you need. I also sprayed one time on my arm. This was at 7:30 am and it is now 1:00 pm and I can still smell it. The first initial spray is incense and oud in a very strong way. I do smell the cannabis after it has dried down. I wore it today in the day time BUT I really recommend it for night time wear. Even cool or cold nights. This fragrance is of very high quality and very potent which I love.
29th January, 2015
Notes: cannabis, herbal notes, resins, woods, coffee, tobacco, frankincense, oud

So today I finally got around to sampling the enigmatic and mythical Basenotes legend Black Afgano. With all the excessive hype and propaganda from the Nasomatto marketing machine, coupled with mixed reviews meant my expectations weren’t especially high (no pun intended). Then again smuggled ingredients, supposed extreme scarcity and the “evocation of temporary bliss” what’s not to be curious about.

First impressions? Mixed. I wasn’t overly impressed and it didn’t draw any “wow factor”, but my nose didn’t curl up and proclaim “bong water!” either. Worthy of the hype? No. Do I like it? Yes. Does it smell like Play-Doh? Kind of!

I’d describe the overall scent as dark, dry, resinous and austere with a very feint hint of sweetness attributed to a dry amber/vanilla/incense lurking underneath the beast notes. Straight out of the bong you’re greeted with a dense aroma chemical sucker punch made up of synthetic Givaudan oud, coupled with an underpinned cedar effect in the form of Kephalis (which is an Iso-E-Super substitute, only with a more woodier/smokier feel).

Finally I can make out some quite prominent vetiver/tobacco notes, adding to the “greenness” which the general nose picks up. I may be off, but I definitely feel like I’m picking up one of the main players here and that’s Norlimbanol™, which is described as an “extremely powerful woody/animal amber note. That has a dry woody note in the patchouli direction”.

As described by Chandler Burr, “Norlimbanol is one of the most amazing scents around, a genius molecule that should be worth its weight in gold; Norlimbanol gives you, quite simply, the smell of extreme dryness, absolute desiccation, and if when you smell it, you’ll understand that instantly—the molecule is, by itself, a multi-sensory Disney ride.”

It’s this same compound which I believe gives the scent its subtle leathery undertones along with the amber. Don’t be too impressed with my ability to pick out aroma chemicals though! I recently purchased a slew of them in a vain attempt to try my hand blending, so I’ve gotten to know them quiet well individually, but anyways, I digress.

Coming back to the scent and the million dollar question, does it warrant the name? In short no. If you inhale deeply and concentrate you can pick up some very feint superficial passing resemblances to hashish, but overall I personally don’t believe the name is warranted.

As for the final scent, it’s just as you’d expect it to be, it’s dense and the oud note is by far the dominant player making it very linear and overshadowing of everything else, but if you’re a fan of Dior Leather Oud, Bond No.9 Harrods Oud or Montale Aoud Cuir D’Arabie, then this one could be right up your street. (although BA is nowhere near the level of quality, originality and complexity of the latter listed scents, in my humble opinion of course.)*

Overall I’ll agree that it’s a well rounded aromatic fragrance, but I’ll also agree that it’s potentially “missing something” too. The longevity it boasts is extremely impressive and to be expected from an extrait de parfum, but the sillage is minimal unfortunately. With all that said, will I be buying a bottle? Probably!

Rating: 5/10

Add your review of Black Afgano

Shop for Black Afgano products online

Search Amazon for Black Afgano

Member images of Black Afgano

There are no member images of Black Afgano yet. Why not be the first?