Black Afgano (2009)
    by Nasomatto

Average Rating: 4

Based on 155 ratings

Black Afgano information

Black Afgano is a unisex fragrance by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Black Afgano

Showing 1 to 6 of 40 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Black Afgano goes on beguilingly smoky and bitter, with raspy green notes, biker’s leather, and earthy vetiver, but the composition slips out of balance after a few minutes, as a harsh herbal-medicinal accord (presumably the “hashish” reconstruction) overwhelms all of the rest. Why anyone would want to smell of disinfectant and reefer is beyond me. I gather Black Afgano aims to provide a titillating, transgressive olfactory experience, but to me it smells a lot like a cancer ward where medical marijuana is in use. That's not provocative - just depressing.

Leaving aside those associations, I still find Black Afgano too crude, abrasive, and overbearing to succeed as a personal fragrance. Granted, it’s not meant to be comfortable, but it lacks the underlying warmth that renders such other deliberately uncomfortable scents as Onda, Yatagan, and Or Black so seductive. This is just loud, vulgar, and sloppy. The preciously "clever" concept and crudely composed fragrance illustrate everything that can go wrong in niche perfumery.

09 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening is pungent, bitter and sour with a nice black-green blend of balsamic notes with an edible, crunchy and poisonous heart, on a sticky, dense and black base of aoud, stuffed with dry echoes and burnt-tires vibes. A nice note floats around, something halfway fruity and balsamic, which gives dynamism to the structure and counter-balances the overall bitterness and dryness. A bit better than other aouds, surely worse than many others, I don't get the hype. It's basically a less interesting, less elegant, less powerful, less-everything M7 which smells like a hundred of other low-key aouds. Pretentiously dull.

14 May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Nasomatto – Black Afgano
    Nice name- bad perfume. Can anyone bring a stop to these kind of 'scents', please? This gives me a headache while just sniffing at the bottle. It is loaded with very loud chemicals, mixed with nonchalance- in a bad way. There is no poetic effort in Black Afgano and no storyline, not even a few kind words that put some light on its matter... And the matter is that it tries to scream too loud, with too little to say- no whisper of beauty or refinement, it just needs attention and to be looked at. It screams: look at me!, in a slobby dress standing on one high-heel, having lost the other one. Black Afgano is a dirty black whore, a false, mean big-mama that hates white men. The hash-note that Mr. Gualtieri puts in is a great idea but it stands alone in a dry-out that smells as sharp as Vicks steam-capsules for a blocked nose- which is also the best way to smell Black Afgano: when your sense of smell is temporary gone... This one is a total waste on a breath of fresh air through the nose- avoid.

02 May, 2014

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar

I recently purchased this upon hearing the longivity and silage that it had. Now although I do like the fragrance the silage was very low and the longevity was about 3 hours max on me, However maybe it was just not for my skin. The smell is good although not quite as complex as I would have Liked. The smell for me was quite linear a lot of amber notes and very sweet. This is a nice dark fragrance however It smells almost identical to another fragrance I own, no one as mention it smelling like this but to me if you wanted a cheaper version of this I would Buy DIRTY ENGLISH BY JUICY COTURE. Apart from the dry down is a little nasty on dirty English a little...well...dirty smelling I guess. The main notes are very similar so if you can't afford this fragrance as I find it quite expensive for what it is go for the dirty English. Now it kinda sounds in this review like I dislike the fragrance however this is not the case I do really like this just a little expensive for what it is and the silage and longevity was a let down, however as stated this could just be on my skin.

05 March, 2014

bFlay's avatar

Horrible! I was shocked when I finally got to sample this after being intrigued by the profile on Basenotes. BLACK AFGANO smells like motor oil, rotting organic compost, and illicit smokable greenery. Odd pop-ups of citrus and sage notes occassionally, but hard to discern or classify through the muddy, oily almost fetid scents mentioned before. I ALMOST think I could have gotten a bad bottle, but I suspect this smells as intended. Definitely a test before you buy. It is prohibitively expensive too. Lasts over 10 hours on skin/clothes.

13 February, 2014

Emperorofscent's avatar

First I'll start off by saying I do not use this one a lot because I like how it smells so much, I like surprising my nose, like it was the first time! True story: My doorman, who normally wears Alfred sung's Paradise (which I don't even know where he finds it!) I walked by him today he said and I quote " god damn man what is that you are wearing!" I said "Nasomatto's Black Afgano" he said "I will never be able to remember that" I said I know! Lol.

I keep hearing weed, forests, voodoo... Etc. No, This is what Batman wears when he is suited up as Batman. This is what Batman would smell like, mysterious and consistant! This thing last! And this is coming from someone that uses Angel men, Amouage interlude man, and kouros! I still feel this one is worth it's price tag. Scarcity + great packaging+ great scent= $206.00. Thank you Barneys for carrying this 2009 gem.

As bane would say.. The scent will rise!

07 November, 2013

• Time Left: 26 days
    Nasomatto Black Afgano parfum 30ml New Seal Pack Original Genuine
    • Time Left: 9 days
    (* converted from GBP 73.0) Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United Arab Emirates)
    Nasomatto Black Afgano parfum 30ml
    • Time Left: 1 day
    NASOMATTO - BLACK AFGANO- 5ML
    • Time Left: 26 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    NASOMATTO BLACK AFGANO 30 ML-1.0 FL OZ. EXTRAIT DE PARFUM SPRAY-VERY RARE!
    • Time Left: 10 days