Black Afgano (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseNasomatto
PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Black Afgano

Black Afgano is a shared / unisex perfume by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Black Afgano

This smells less like hashish and more like the spent ash your throw away several days after you've smoked hashish. High concept, underwhelming implementation, but interesting for what it is, a phenolic/animalic/plastic mishmash.
05th July, 2017
I'm going to apologize in advance for posting a newbie review, but the drydown of this (BA) smells like Playdough. I couldn't get that smell off of me,it smelled kind of like cola in the beginning(great, beautiful) , but then faded to Playdough, like stale playdough.
Wanted to love this based on the reviews, but maybe I am too picky. Thanks for listening.
27th June, 2017
Not annoying to wear but not for me. I guess I just haven't had my nose adjusted for "high" perfumery. On the other hand, it is unique and I'm very happy I got to smell and wear this one.

Dry, herbal cannabis with incense in the background.

Performance is outstanding, both in projection and longevity.

18th March, 2017
Extraordinary perfume.

At least the first couple of bottles I had. Then I get a slightly different one. What had previously been a 'pitch black' liquid now had a reddish purple colour and I found the scent different, weaker somehow. I emailed and asked the company whether a change in the formula had been implemented, but this was directly denied.

I was told the perfume can vary in strength from batch to batch, but that it would get stronger the 'older' it got..? And a tip to look at the two numbers on the packaging, representing year and month for the batch it belonged to. So with this in mind, be aware that the quality differ somewhat..

I agree with previous reviewer who said it is for someone who wants something different. Just wish it could be consistent in quality.
11th February, 2017
This is an incredible leather/spice/incense fragrance with killer projection. There is norlimbinol/wood note underneath a meaty/smokey leather. Cinnamon hums in the background. Similar to Cuir by Carner Barcelona but more meaty, smokey, and much better longevity.
13th July, 2016
After being pleased but perhaps slightly let down by Nasomatto's most-hyped men's fragrance in Pardon, a woody/boozy/oud/sweet mix, I'm much happier with the other hyped offering, Black Afgano, which seems far easier to wear despite being provocative in its own right.

Black Afgano is a dark mix of cannabis, resins (benzoin?), tobacco, oud, and incense. It's certainly a dark, smoky, woody mix that leans heavily masculine, anchored by the oud most of all. I don't explicitly detect coffee but it could certainly be in the mix---it's well-blended in the darker notes to the point of having difficulty identifying individual notes. The resin provides a subtle sweetness.

It does not smell like burning marijuana, despite some claims about this, but it certainly smells ever so slightly of cannabis. In that respect, it's an interesting and deviant fragrance that might not be appropriate for many situations, even in the cold weather, for which it is certainly suited. It's formal enough to wear mainly at night or when longevity is needed, but it seems that reviewers frequently warn against over-applying.

Performance is unsurprisingly phenomenal for Black Afgano, one of the stronger perfumes I've smelled in my limited time.

Pricing is similar to Slumberhouse extraits ($185 for 30ml), so not cheap, even for an extrait, and like the Slumberhouse extrait I own, Norne, the juice is powerful, and seems dark and dense enough to stain skin, so beware if you spray close to the skin.

This is at first smell a "love" not a "like" for me and renews my interest in the Nasomatto line. I might need to acquire a sample of Duro next.

8 out of 10