Black Afgano (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseNasomatto
PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Black Afgano

Black Afgano is a shared / unisex perfume by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Black Afgano

This is an incredible leather/spice/incense fragrance with killer projection. There is norlimbinol/wood note underneath a meaty/smokey leather. Cinnamon hums in the background. Similar to Cuir by Carner Barcelona but more meaty, smokey, and much better longevity.
13th July, 2016
After being pleased but perhaps slightly let down by Nasomatto's most-hyped men's fragrance in Pardon, a woody/boozy/oud/sweet mix, I'm much happier with the other hyped offering, Black Afgano, which seems far easier to wear despite being provocative in its own right.

Black Afgano is a dark mix of cannabis, resins (benzoin?), tobacco, oud, and incense. It's certainly a dark, smoky, woody mix that leans heavily masculine, anchored by the oud most of all. I don't explicitly detect coffee but it could certainly be in the mix---it's well-blended in the darker notes to the point of having difficulty identifying individual notes. The resin provides a subtle sweetness.

It does not smell like burning marijuana, despite some claims about this, but it certainly smells ever so slightly of cannabis. In that respect, it's an interesting and deviant fragrance that might not be appropriate for many situations, even in the cold weather, for which it is certainly suited. It's formal enough to wear mainly at night or when longevity is needed, but it seems that reviewers frequently warn against over-applying.

Performance is unsurprisingly phenomenal for Black Afgano, one of the stronger perfumes I've smelled in my limited time.

Pricing is similar to Slumberhouse extraits ($185 for 30ml), so not cheap, even for an extrait, and like the Slumberhouse extrait I own, Norne, the juice is powerful, and seems dark and dense enough to stain skin, so beware if you spray close to the skin.

This is at first smell a "love" not a "like" for me and renews my interest in the Nasomatto line. I might need to acquire a sample of Duro next.

8 out of 10
03rd May, 2016
If someone dares me to wear Black Afgano in a game of Truth or Dare Iíd actually have to think twice about it. This one is so dark, unique and potent that could wipe out the entire population of a one-mile radius. Iím not saying to avoid it like the plague; I think itís rather good, but just not in a conventional kind of way. In fact, itís a very controversial fragrance because the composition resembles the scent of hashish. Not that Iíve ever smelt hashish, but creating a fragrance that revolves around such a note is certainly Oscar-worthy in the fragrance industry.
Black Afgano penetrates the air with a very herbal, dry and smoky blast that immediately brings me back to high school where thick clouds of marijuana engulf entire hallways. This dark and herbal quality is probably the hashish or cannabis that Nasomotto bravely markets about. As I wait for the blissful moments of euphoria Iím instead hit by a blaze so hasty that it hurts my lungs just to breathe. This is one of those rare moments that would have me gasp for fresh air. So, let this be a warning for those that have not crossed path with this beast, itís composed of extrait strength that could cause mass destruction. And donít spray this juice on your clothes either as youíd likely become the only remaining crime-scene evidence. The heart of woods, coffee and tobacco transitions the fragrance to more of a pipe tobacco scent rather than burning hashish. But alas, there is a good dose of vanilla to sweeten the bitterness of the drug. Strangely, the composition at this point creates a ďplay-dohĒ effect, smelling a bit oily yet delicious. Imagine sipping on coffee and smoking your pipe while youíre being served those magical hash brownies! Now, thatís the kind of bliss we are looking for! But Black Afganoís euphoria doesnít end there. The oud and incense at the base envelop you with their spiritual qualities and would have you dream about the land of fairies (or the land of demons, whatever floats your boat) there after.
Black Afgano is bold and edgy, not for the faint-hearted. If youíre an alpha-male, adventurist, criminal, or are simply just looking to declare your presence in the world, this should be the ultimate weapon in your arsenal. But I will not be held accountable when you hear the sirens and see those blue and red lights in your rear-view mirror.
22nd April, 2016
In terms of a quality perfume, I think this is top notch. It's incredibly powerful and long lasting. But beware. If you don't like the scent (like myself) it does not wash off easily. This just isn't for me. For whatever reason, I get a dark earthy mushroom. It has a funk to it I just can't get past. I hate to give it a negative review based on scent alone since it is so subjective. Not my style but if you like the scent, it's a powerhouse!
15th December, 2015
I do not know what I was expecting when first getting to try this notorious scent, but certainly not the balance that exists in this dark magic. This is an ideal scent for me. Hits home with an opening of smoke and incense, but never overwhelming! Turns into a lovely dark oud and tobacco concoction that remains within a few inches of the skin, and lasts all day long! Big thumbs up!
22nd November, 2015
Disappointed. I thought it will be dark and mysterious, beautiful drydown, elegant. But what do we have Oud et Santal (Dupont) on steroids and that's all. Don't worth a buy.
04th July, 2015