Dover Street Market (2009)
    by Comme des Garçons

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Dover Street Market Fragrance Notes

Shop for Dover Street Market products online

Reviews of Dover Street Market

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 7 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Dry and lovely

Dry incense and dusty, in a very good way. Very much of a skin scent on me, and one that i very much enjoy. It is very well blended; the woods and the incense blend together very well, forming an integrated whole. A hint of citrus, but just a hint, provide balance and keep it from being too austere.

_____

7 hour later, and this is just a delicious scent. The combination of the woods and incense are just stunning at this point. Still a skin scent, and still lovely.

08 October, 2013

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

This is better than neutral; not because it is original for CDG (it is NOT),
    but because it is a bridge between the dusky/smoky incense series, and the gorgeous and freshly alien-vibe of CDG 3.
    Heavier and woodier than CDG 3; would actually make a decent substitute, since CDG 3 is quite difficult to come across these days.

20th July, 2011

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

I like it. I agree with the assessment below that Dover Street is a good entry-level offering by CdG into their incense style. It is not as bold as Hinoki nor does it make such distinctive statements as the Incense Series scents. This is an office-friendly, casual sort of scent and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    The scent is bright, sprightly, and energizing. Citrus-pepper opening notes give way to nutty-woody spice (coriander) and good hints of resinous incense. The tangy juniper does give a gin-like note. Generally, the notes are smoothly blended. The dry-down has lovely incense and wood notes... in a light, translucent style. Its restraint and casual charm make this rather classy, in my opinion. Suitable for any occasion, any weather.

12 May, 2011

foetidus

I’m not sure what I’m getting – some citrus, some pine, I believe, and some labdanum. I can identify those notes as individual, but, except for the first thirteen seconds, they don’t seem to be working in combination… When I smell the opening accord I’m thinking: “This can’t be Comme des Garçon… CdG would make something more interesting than this!” I mainly find the opening accord insignificant and a little bit off. Significance eludes the heart notes, too, to my nose. Dover Street Market gets really barren in these middle notes except for an unimpressive wood accord. I lose just about everything except some residual pine and a bit of patchouli.

I don’t smell any incense, and that may be why I have problem with it. I probably have selective anosmia to whatever they are using for incense, and this is a factor in my lack of appreciation for the entire fragrance. I’m missing the cedar and juniper berries, too. I get weakness for sillage and shortness for longevity… I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with my Avignon and Kyoto because Dover Street Market is just not very interesting.

06 April, 2011

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Very much like other CDG offerings -- the pepper and woods mixture is almost becoming a signature note with them. The pepper and pine seem to dominate the whole fragrance after a time -- I don't find the incense very noticeable except for adding a sort of dusty dry vibe. Longevity and sillage are both good for me and it isn't very expensive. Not innovative but I like it.

07 April, 2010

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Comme des Garcons Dover Street Market

When it comes to incense scents Comme des Garcons has certainly found its niche. From the Incense Series through to Hinoki you would think they've found every variation on the theme but 2009's Dover Street Market shows that there is at least one more variation left to be explored. Dover Street Market was described as "a modern twist on a classic woody fragrance". I guess what that means is this is an incense scent laid over woody notes. The funny thing is that the woods are the least prominent part of this fragrance. The top is a yin and yang mix of citrus and pepper. This kind of tart and spicy beginning leads well into the appearance of the incense along with a very lively juniper and coriander which almost gives off a gin accord under the incense. The base is mostly patchouli with cedar and pine finally coming into play to supply the promised woods. Dover Street Market is perhaps the lightest incense fragrance that Comme des Garcons has made and that might make it a good introductory scent to the Comme des Garcons style of incense perfumes. Dover Street Market has average longevity and average sillage, on me. As one who likes almost all of them I think this, for me, will be a more everyday kind of incense and another possibility to think about when I'm in an incense mood.

12 December, 2009