Incensed (2009)
    by Smell Bent

Reviews of Incensed

Showing 1 to of 1 reviews.
    positive No Positive Reviews • neutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Imagine the smells of a centuries-old cathedral - frankincense and myrrh embedded in dusty ancient carved woods. Then overlay those smells with a sharp herbal green component that smells to me like fennel and then smear the whole thing with vanilla cupcake frosting.

In a way, incensed is quite clever. Incense notes (especially frankincense) have a creamy sweet richness to them that calls to mind a vanilla gourmand smell and it's a fun trick to create an incense gourmand. That being said, I personally think Duchoufour's Aedes de Venustas for L'Artisan explores the frankincense/gourmand crossover with more panache (using dried fruits and booze to wonderful effect while avoiding smelling like frosting or candy).

I know the man behind Smell Bent is a member here and I don't want to give a bad review to Incensed, as it is quite fun and clever but, in terms of my own personal taste, I just don't enjoy candy-sweet vanillas, no matter how interesting they are in theory.

19 January, 2012