Commando (2009)
    by Smell Bent

Commando Fragrance notes

Animal Musks, Tonka Bean

Reviews of Commando

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 4 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 2 Negative Reviews

David Ruskin's avatar
    David Ruskin

A nasty synthetic mess. It opens with a hint of honey/urine which may be due to Phenylacetic Acid (or even Butyric acid) which could be intentional or a result of the poor quality of the ingredients. It quickly develops into a stodgy sweet chemical mix of musks and coumarin. I wanted a dirty, animalic musk (like MKK), and didn't get it.

This has taught me to NEVER blind buy.

13 February, 2013

warho15's avatar
    warho15

Note: This review is on the perfume oil. Commando is also available in EDT spray.

This scent is rather spare in terms of notes -- musk and tonka -- but definitely does what it says it's going to do, and does it with simplicity and intelligence. "Going commando" titillates with the unseen, but implied; Commando implies plenty, without being explicit.

The opening is a pretty feral musk, definitely on the synthetic side (which I don't use in the pejorative sense). A sharper, cleaner, soapy musk follows right behind, marrying the barnyard with the barbershop. The tonka in the base both grounds and sweetens the musks, ultimately providing wearability and a finished feel.

The perfume oil stays close to the skin and projects little. However, I do notice that I catch comforting whiffs here and there for about four hours or so.

16 January, 2013

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Has a bit of skank, but it's a chemical fecal smell. Not something I would ever wear and after smelling it once that was all I needed. Might appeal to those that enjoy daring and odd smelling fragrances. Otherwise, it'll be a scrubber for most.

02 December, 2012

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l get a momentary whiff of aldehyde in the opening, followed by a leathery, dirty musk with just a touch of sweetness. Over the first half-hour, l get an impression of something cool & minty, before the tonka bean note comes to the fore. ln the drydown it becomes a warm, sweet, animalic skin scent with a powdery base. The projection is low-moderate, & it lasts around six hours before fading.
    Apparently this smells "like crotch" to some folks, but l didn't find it all offensive, just "direct, animalic & sweet", as freddie put it. ln fact, l would love it more if it projected more!

23 November, 2012

karazzmatic's avatar
    karazzmatic

Hi. I JUST got a bottle of COMMANDO in the mail. Upon first spray, it was attractive enough to me but it is so complex that I didn't know what to make of it. I don't wait for the drydown or for the heart notes to relieve the top ones; if I don't like it initially I am not keeping it. This fragrance, however, broke ALL my rules...

It quickly transforms itself, and like the changing colors of a moodring, it evokes seriouness yet sexiness. I am very impressed and totally shocked.

Basenoters: If you see a bottle of this you must at least give it a try. For $15 I got a diamond in the rough...

24 May, 2012

forfreddie's avatar
    forfreddie

I feel like I have to comment on this.
    Commando was a recent discover for me. I have explored the Smell Bent line quite well, and have a few bottles.
    I love dirty musks, and admire Brent's Untitled No.8. However, from reading just a couple of reviews, and the words "skin scent" over and over again, I expected Commando to be an almost scent-less clean musk with a slightly dirty undertone with a vanillary base.
    I was wrong.
    I blind bought this, as I was placing an order and thought - why not!
    Commando is absolutely wonderful. It is filthy animalic, with Brent's signature fecal musk, overlaid only slightly with a cleaner musk. It is impossible not to smell this and not compare to Muscs Koublai Khan, however this is more animalic than the latter, and also devoid of the floral rose. For me, that's what makes this so appealing.
    The base of tonka bean smooths this fragrance out and just lets it melt into the skin.
    For the price, I think you really can't beat it. If it was in a fancier bottle and priced at 100, I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised.
    It has easily, and quickly, slipped confidentaly into my top 10, and I recommend it to anyone.

26 April, 2012