Grey Vetiver (2009)

SupplierFirmenich
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Harry Fremont

Reviews of Grey Vetiver

This is a great fragrance for all occasions and can be worn all year.
This fragrance is basically Green soapy citrus. I mainly get a nice soapy accord with lots of grapefruit with a really clean vetiver. It smells like a very expensive soap very inoffensive. The performance is decent it last about 5 or 6 hours on my skin but only projects for about 30 or 40 minutes,it's mostly a skin scent for me,but I really love the smell it smells simple yet complex,and I find it slightly addictive when smelled up close. If this had better projection I would buy 2 bottles. For the price there are much better fresh soapy scents but it is a Tom ford so you are kinda paying for the name. For me this isn't bottle worthy because of the value isn't there for me, but I will defiantly use up my 10ml decant up fairly quick. Smell 4/5 longevity 3.5/5 projection 2.5/5 sillage 2.5/5 value 3/5
23rd March, 2018
What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Grey Vetiver' by Tom Ford is a great scent for the spring, summer and even possibly fall months. This fragrance literally smells like an upscale clothing boutique or a five star luxury resort hotel and spa.

Initial blast is citrus and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A dash of pepper matched to grapefruit and what seems to be bergamot are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver becomes fairly prominent and remains the dominant scent. Faintly present are a green and grassy note, with gives this scent some depth and balance.

The base is mainly vetiver and bergamot, and surprisingly the lemon and citrus top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken. Excellent work fragrance.

Longevity with a liberal application of a ten sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or so on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is subtle but present and never cloying or headache inducing. You can go heavy on this without fear for a night out on the town.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion that calls for class and intelligence. Smells very similar to 'Terre d'Hermes' by Hermes and 'Declaration' by Cartier.
25th January, 2018
A perfectly blended, linear fragrance with the main notes of citruses and vetiver. Inoffensive, pleasing and natural, but I personally like scents with a bit more depth.

A definite recommendation to try for someone who wears Terre D'Hermes for a long time and wants change to something more sophisticated.

As for the comparison with Vetiver by Guerlain, I'm still on Guerlain's side.
01st November, 2017
Not much else can be said about Grey Vetiver that hasn't already. However.....

I got my hands on the EDP, made in Switzerland. The only reason I mention this is because I've read in some places, reviewers who bought this and it was made in the USA. They didn't have good things to say (i.e. it was implied fake). Also, I believe the EDParfum has more kick and longevity than the EDT, so if you can get the parfum version, you might as well.

Regardless, I give this a wholesome 2 thumbs up. A very elegant, masculine, refined scent. Something a gentleman wears, not to make a huge statement, but because he enjoys smelling good and dignified. I can see this as both an office scent and a casual, picking pumpkins at a farm-type wear. For sure a fall/winter scent too.

I get a very soapy opening and overall soapy aroma through to basenotes (literally one of the most concentrated, liquefied, upscale white bar soap smells I've ever been exposed to). It's not a barbershop soap, or soapy talcum powder, just lovely rich soap. This is mixed with a light vetiver, not sharp at all. I have L'Occitane Vetiver. I love it! However, that is a sharper, slightly bitter, more traditional vetiver note. Tom Ford toned down the vetiver in this, to make it very equal to the soapiness. It's calm and subtle.

There is some citrus I get, and very very light woods. Can't say I get pimento or nutmeg, but I do slightly smell sage in the far reaching background. Silage is pretty good; sofar it's been 1.5 hours and I can still smell it very easily. The EDP is definitely not a skin scent, but it doesn't punch those around you in the face either. 1.5 foot range projection, so to me it's something loved ones and somebody in-line at a store would get to enjoy.

In conclusion, I can certainly recommend Grey Vetiver. It's another high-class effort by TF, and one that says "I'm cool, confident, don't mind getting my hands dirty but enjoy a crisp white button-down shirt too".
25th October, 2017
I can't tell you why
Buttered citrus vetiver
Is grey, but it is.
22nd October, 2017
BoxPred Show all reviews
Tom Ford got it right with this one. Has a universally acceptable aura without being generic. Great for the office, exudes professionalism. Citrusy with a vetiver kick. Another one of those scents that delivers in a simple yet effective manner.
25th September, 2017