Grey Vetiver (2009)

SupplierFirmenich
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Harry Fremont

Reviews of Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver Eau de Parfum

This is a cool, mysterious, citrus-spicy wood.
It opens up with a boisterous lemon note, but as implied by the name, vetiver is the guest of honour at this party.
If we equate shades with temperature and determine that white is cold and black is hot; the ‘grey’ in the title is a perfect pitch for this fragrance.
The citrus, orrisroot, nutmeg and pimento provide the refreshments for the party; while the woods, oak moss and amber bring the warmth.
What you’re left with is a finely balanced fragrance that never becomes screechy or overpowering. This is why it’s perfect for both power dressing at the office or a casual weekend get-together. This can also work in a huge range of weather conditions, dressed up or dressed down. It will adapt to you.
One of the best warmer weather fragrances from Tom Ford; including the blue-bottled private blends.
This has layers if you get to know it.
One of the best introductions to vetiver.
28th March, 2017
Superbly rendered Vetiver that really does leave the likes of Guerlain smelling like a curious relic. I can't agree that the two are all that close as some have suggested. Where Guerlain's Vetiver dries down to that unpalatable "old man" smell, this settles down to a soapy grass with just a touch of sweet.

There is something on the edge of this fragrance that mid way through really sings and it's so, so good. I once had a bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Vetiver (the original one) and it was so bitter and cloying to my nose. Tom Ford's starts off like a muted version of that but the development is where it takes a different direction and what a direction.

This becomes like a second skin on me and I'm sitting here as I'm typing on some sort of perfume-high as it gently drifts up from my chest.

There really is nothing more I can add that hasn't already been written. You pay a premium for this but you can smell the quality throughout.

I think I'd have to agree with a previous reviewer who suggested this should now be considered the reference Vetiver.

This review is for the EDP version.
03rd September, 2016
Fantastic opening (edp)..bright and lemony with dry woods..think Issey miyake to some extent .. The nutmeg is intelligently blended with the vetiver to bridge the citrus and vetiver together, it let's the vetiver eventually shine through the dry down with a touch of orange blossom and pimento (very cute).lasts 7/10 hrs at least on my skin I get a sort of lemony drift wood, spiced/gin and tonic served in a wood yard. Classy art deco style bottle design, took me a few wearings to fully appreciate the simplistic elegance of this scent, extremely close to original guerlain version but cleaner and brighter, more modern I suppose. The edp version can become a bit annoying after 6 hours..i get a little fed up of smelling dry wood for so long but it's a small price to pay for great silage.
26th August, 2016 (last edited: 18th July, 2017)
I usually hate vetiver fragrances, but this is a nice spicy, citrus and green grass fragrance. Not FB worthy, but a thumbs up b/c it's a vetiver that I like.
05th July, 2016
Perfectly masculine. Just barely some spice. Understated, not flashy. A soapy drydown fades to something more comfortable. The new suit and tie.
30th June, 2016
I had heard good things about this fragrance, so I figured I would like it. I like Original Vetiver by Creed, but I struggled with the synthetic feeling of Grey Vetiver. I did enjoy the final stage more than the opening or the middle notes as it softened, but I'll have to give it another wear.
02nd May, 2016