Grey Vetiver (2009)

HouseTom Ford
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Grey Vetiver

Superbly rendered Vetiver that really does leave the likes of Guerlain smelling like a curious relic. I can't agree that the two are all that close as some have suggested. Where Guerlain's Vetiver dries down to that unpalatable "old man" smell, this settles down to a soapy grass with just a touch of sweet.

There is something on the edge of this fragrance that mid way through really sings and it's so, so good. I once had a bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Vetiver (the original one) and it was so bitter and cloying to my nose. Tom Ford's starts off like a muted version of that but the development is where it takes a different direction and what a direction.

This becomes like a second skin on me and I'm sitting here as I'm typing on some sort of perfume-high as it gently drifts up from my chest.

There really is nothing more I can add that hasn't already been written. You pay a premium for this but you can smell the quality throughout.

I think I'd have to agree with a previous reviewer who suggested this should now be considered the reference Vetiver.

This review is for the EDP version.
03rd September, 2016
what an opening (edp)..bright as staring at the sun whilst being drenched in ice water ..think Issey miyake (not in a bad way). .cacherel rolled into one but with more care and precision ..the two I've just mentioned have now become a forgotten memory. The nutmeg is intelligently blended with the vetiver in a way that let's the vetiver eventually shine through the dry down which on me lasts 6 hrs at least(my skin gobbles up scents) I get a sort of lemony drift wood, gin and tonic served in a wood yard ??. Classy bottle, took me a few wearings to fully appreciate the elegance and quality of this scent, in a tonka bean dominated world this scent glides through in a modern classy confident stride.. Just bloody enjoy it and don't be stuck up as much as this scent drives you to be gentlemanly the opposite wearing it !!
26th August, 2016 (last edited: 28th September, 2016)
I usually hate vetiver fragrances, but this is a nice spicy, citrus and green grass fragrance. Not FB worthy, but a thumbs up b/c it's a vetiver that I like.
05th July, 2016
Perfectly masculine. Just barely some spice. Understated, not flashy. A soapy drydown fades to something more comfortable. The new suit and tie.
30th June, 2016
Every once in while, while I am waiting for my girl to pick another purse, I make a pass to through Sephora. I like to see if anything has changed. Most is rubbish.

This one always catches me up. No rubbish here. This is a standard scent, not flashy. It is the kind of scent that will become one of the old standbys.
18th June, 2016
I had heard good things about this fragrance, so I figured I would like it. I like Original Vetiver by Creed, but I struggled with the synthetic feeling of Grey Vetiver. I did enjoy the final stage more than the opening or the middle notes as it softened, but I'll have to give it another wear.
02nd May, 2016