Grey Vetiver (2009)

SupplierFirmenich
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Harry Fremont

Reviews of Grey Vetiver

A perfectly blended, linear fragrance with the main notes of citruses and vetiver. Inoffensive, pleasing and natural, but I personally like scents with a bit more depth.

A definite recommendation to try for someone who wears Terre D'Hermes for a long time and wants change to something more sophisticated.

As for the comparison with Vetiver by Guerlain, I'm still on Guerlain's side.
01st November, 2017
Not much else can be said about Grey Vetiver that hasn't already. However.....

I got my hands on the EDP, made in Switzerland. The only reason I mention this is because I've read in some places, reviewers who bought this and it was made in the USA. They didn't have good things to say (i.e. it was implied fake). Also, I believe the EDParfum has more kick and longevity than the EDT, so if you can get the parfum version, you might as well.

Regardless, I give this a wholesome 2 thumbs up. A very elegant, masculine, refined scent. Something a gentleman wears, not to make a huge statement, but because he enjoys smelling good and dignified. I can see this as both an office scent and a casual, picking pumpkins at a farm-type wear. For sure a fall/winter scent too.

I get a very soapy opening and overall soapy aroma through to basenotes (literally one of the most concentrated, liquefied, upscale white bar soap smells I've ever been exposed to). It's not a barbershop soap, or soapy talcum powder, just lovely rich soap. This is mixed with a light vetiver, not sharp at all. I have L'Occitane Vetiver. I love it! However, that is a sharper, slightly bitter, more traditional vetiver note. Tom Ford toned down the vetiver in this, to make it very equal to the soapiness. It's calm and subtle.

There is some citrus I get, and very very light woods. Can't say I get pimento or nutmeg, but I do slightly smell sage in the far reaching background. Silage is pretty good; sofar it's been 1.5 hours and I can still smell it very easily. The EDP is definitely not a skin scent, but it doesn't punch those around you in the face either. 1.5 foot range projection, so to me it's something loved ones and somebody in-line at a store would get to enjoy.

In conclusion, I can certainly recommend Grey Vetiver. It's another high-class effort by TF, and one that says "I'm cool, confident, don't mind getting my hands dirty but enjoy a crisp white button-down shirt too".
25th October, 2017
I can't tell you why
Buttered citrus vetiver
Is grey, but it is.
22nd October, 2017
BoxPred Show all reviews
Tom Ford got it right with this one. Has a universally acceptable aura without being generic. Great for the office, exudes professionalism. Citrusy with a vetiver kick. Another one of those scents that delivers in a simple yet effective manner.
25th September, 2017
I really like vetiver scents... My faves are Bleu de Chanel EDP, Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir by Lalique... This just doesn't work for me at all... Has a hint of "old man" in it that is off putting. A try before you buy even if you find a great deal.
29th August, 2017
Grey Vetiver Eau de Parfum

This is a cool, mysterious, citrus-spicy wood.
It opens up with a boisterous lemon note, but as implied by the name, vetiver is the guest of honour at this party.
If we equate shades with temperature and determine that white is cold and black is hot; the ‘grey’ in the title is a perfect pitch for this fragrance.
The citrus, orrisroot, nutmeg and pimento provide the refreshments for the party; while the woods, oak moss and amber bring the warmth.
What you’re left with is a finely balanced fragrance that never becomes screechy or overpowering. This is why it’s perfect for both power dressing at the office or a casual weekend get-together. This can also work in a huge range of weather conditions, dressed up or dressed down. It will adapt to you.
One of the best warmer weather fragrances from Tom Ford; including the blue-bottled private blends.
This has layers if you get to know it.
One of the best introductions to vetiver.
28th March, 2017