Grey Vetiver (2009)

HouseTom Ford
SupplierFirmenich
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grey Vetiver

Grey Vetiver is a masculine fragrance by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Grey Vetiver

Tested from a small sample today and again this evening.
My (as usual amateur) review: like it very much.
I'm a vetiver freak now, so obviously got full-on vetiver from the start. I have Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir, and all I can say is that with Grey Vetiver I get the vetiver freshness but at the same time something kind of "cloudy/muddy " in the background at the start. This goes, and then it's slightly soapy, clean, fresh. It's already gorgeous by now, but it gets better. Clean, refined, subtle, delicious, it reminds me of "watery light". I know it has many other ingredients apart from vetiver, and I'm sorry I can't divide these from each other. I would have to use the word "beautiful" - I think in my limited experience I've only ever used that word before once and was describing Chanel Sycomore. As with the Chanel this is for me "not of this world" and definitely kind and benign, but the Chanel has more life and physicality. Which is why I'm still saving my pennies for the Chanel one day..... Here comes the weird descriptive bit: Grey Vetiver for me is me sitting in a large ground-floor room of an old house, empty, dusty and light, I'm watching the light summer rain on the windows trickling down outside, all the while in the presence of a ghost, a quiet, kind, but lost spirit that can be sensed but not seen.
Weird stuff aside, in any case it's a lovely, light, pleasant vetiver scent that I will definitely add to my collection. It lasts about 6 hours on the skin, soft to moderate silage. A daytime scent, I think I will wear this a lot.
July 2015
22nd July, 2015
Salutation.

GREY VETIVER defines of Masculine Elegance.This Lovely Scent possesses a blend of Woodsy notes giving it an Exciting scent.A True head turner as I constantly get Compliments whenever I wear it. Elaborate,Modern,Classy, Addictive,Expensive,Woodsy,Appealing and Distinct.

A fresh and Citrucy Opening with Citruses followed by a Lovely heart of Spice and The base includes a Unique blend of Woodsy Notes That Making you feel like Walk in an Exotic grove and also Gives you Mystique.

The Perfect scent for the Everyday also Surprisingly Intimate and Subtle when wear on a Date Because This Scent is So Cute for Ladies.GREY VETIVER will definitely help make Your perfect SPRING&SUMMER.I would Highly Recommend this EDP If you like fresh scents with some depth.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Superb on my skin.

Thank You TOM FORD.

7.75/10
11th May, 2015
What Daniel Craig sprays on to get into his tuxedoed, James Bond character.
11th March, 2015
My favorite Tom Ford. This was a surprise since it is a vetiver that is both a very elegant wearer and a sophisticated fragrance that doesn't become a bore after repeated wearings. It is more modern than the classics and it isn't done on the cheap. This is actually a complex and rich composition with a soapy quality and some powder (orris) in the dry down. It also has a spicy, mossy feel and leaves a very alluring trail. I find it very classy and satisfactory and go for it very often. I can't recommend this enough to both vetiver enthusiasts and newcomers to the genre. Perfect for all seasons and occasions and one of the scents that I have repurchased many times.
01st March, 2015
A beautifully refreshing scent from Tom Ford. The modern take on Vetiver for a younger generation and it works very well. I stumbled across this in Rome during a hot summer and was intoxicated by it. The 35 degree heat did wonders and I couldn't stop smelling my arm. Bought it within 10 minutes. In my opinion it smells like quality so it's worth the price.

Back in the UK we're not blessed with such temperatures so I wear this with a suit to the office. The perfect frangrance for being taken seriously. It's definitely my favourite TF so far.

The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars is the projection isn't great on me. I can usually smell this for the first 30 minutes but then it's gone unless I search my arm for it. Maybe it's just me. Also I've only ever received 1 compliment on it and she was 60 :-(
27th February, 2015
Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver (edp) is one of the very best releases in its genre. This is a fresh, clean vetiver fragrance with some tart citrus, perhaps lemon, in the opening. The citrus subsides after a while and one is left with a very refined scent of vetiver and soft woody notes. It does not project a lot; rather, it is very subtle and sophisticated. Longevity is pretty good, all of which makes it a great choice as an office fragrance.

It is much less green and leans more towards being 'white' if one has to provide a visual interpretation. It is not as green as Creed Original Vetiver; it pretty much is the modern counterpart to great traditional vetivers such as Guerlain and Givenchy. It is also a perfect complement to the citrus and aquatic fragrances that people usually wear on summer days. While not as stunning as Creed's Original Vetiver (another great fresh vetiver fragrance) or Chanel's Sycomore (a completely different beast), it is a solid fragrance by itself and ticks almost all the right boxes.

A modern classic.