Back to Black (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker

About Back to Black

Back to Black is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Calice Asancheyev-Becker

Back to Black fragrance notes

Reviews of Back to Black

solid sillage and duration... a bit linear but never cloying, rather linear...but one of the best outings from this house!
21st April, 2015
Tried this as a sample of some of the Kilian line. Where's the bergamot? I also like honey but I don't want to wear it. This is making me nauseous.
10th April, 2015

Several different notes come across in the opening… It’s a little citrusy and a bit spicier, and it has a definite raspberry aura. It is aromatic, and there’s a strong element of sweet in the opening too, mainly because of the heart accord’s honey note. A little later I get just a touch of a high quality castoreum (or leather or birch tar) that is not strong enough to annoy me, but it is strong enough to keep the sweetness (and almost everything else) from reaching me. I get lots of patchouli. I don’t get the tobacco, the amber, the labdanum, the vanilla, or even the cedar, my nose is overwhelmed by the castoreum.

And that’s what I’m left with for the almost interminable remainder of the fragrance. I can recognize Back to Black as an excellent and dramatic fragrance, but the castoreum (or leather or birch tar) has neutralized all the drama for me and left me with a very expensive, high-quality fragrance that I can confidently call… “not annoying.” Its performance on my skin certainly isn’t that of an aphrodisiac as it boasts on the bottle’s label.
17th February, 2015
A pleasant honey/tobacco scent that doesn't justify neither its price nor the rave reviews it gets.
Don't get my wrong, I do enjoy this fragrance, but there a tons of fragrances that I do enjoy more and that cost a lot less. I'll rather use my money on something else.
Sillage is moderate and longevity is better than average.
16th February, 2015
Late last night i used it ,and when i came back to my home i sprayed it one more time before sleep.
Delicious, a lot of honey from beginning to end . Sweet tobacco (i cant discern exactly what kind of sweet tobacco ), and after smelling conscientiously some shy vanilla notes.
Although there are many sweet notes , i dont think it is one of those sweet fragrances like candies, the tobacco gives the balance.
The longevity for me is fine, 6 hours.Sillage : the people will not turn back to look for who is wearing Back to Black.
25th January, 2015 (last edited: 26th January, 2015)
Woody Oriental

Back to Black’s honeyed cherry pipe tobacco accord reminds me one moment of Fumerie Turque, the next of those great tobacco fougères of the 1980s – scents like Or Black and Lauder for Men. Yet it remains very much its own creature. It lacks both the smoke of Fumerie Turque and the aromatic content of the fougères, and instead embraces a powdery amber and patchouli drydown with hints of cocoa, in the quasi-gourmand arrangement made fashionable by Christopher Sheldrake in Borneo 1834 and Coromandel. Back to Black is a dark, sweet, heavy scent that could easily have been crass and oppressive, but redeems itself through an underlying bitterness derived, I suspect, from a touch of birch tar. If you have a sweet tooth and like leather, tobacco, and patchouli, Back to Black might be just your thing.
09th June, 2014

Add your review of Back to Black

Shop for Back to Black products online

Shop for Back to Black at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Back to Black

Member images of Back to Black

There are no member images of Back to Black yet. Why not be the first?