Back to Black (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker

About Back to Black

Back to Black is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Calice Asancheyev-Becker

Reviews of Back to Black

If rubber and tea
Weren't honey and tobacco
You'd be back to Black.
24th October, 2017
Heavy, sweet honey and tobacco for the first 4-6 hours and then dries down to a nice vanilla with the honey and tobacco still in the background for many hours afterward.

Big projection and longevity. Gets cloying fast if over-sprayed.

20th October, 2017
Fruity honeyed tobacco with a good dose of powder...not bad...I had a decant that I enjoyed wearing , but not enough to invest in any more...in the same ballpark as Tobacco Vanille , Herod , Pure Havane and Naxos...actually probably the closest is So Oud Asmar which I did like enough to grab a full bottle...but as always , sample and let your own nose decide what you like...does get more and more pleasing as it dries down...
15th August, 2017
I got a decant of this fragrance, and have worn it around six times. It has decent sillage, but the overwhelming main note that I smell is a combination of baby powder/rose and old attic smell (if that resonates for anyone), with a recurring tang of old urine. I keep expecting to get something different, but it is quite consistent over a range of temperatures and humidity levels.
21st June, 2017
You can smell the quality of a niche fragrance, but it's not to my taste. I much prefer Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, just my subjective opinion. I find this only okay, a little too subtle on the tobacco with too much of a sweet, almost fruity note of vanilla being completely drowned out by the honey.

Too many sprays could overpower people with the sweetness. Overall, nothing special for the price.

If you love this brand and tobacco based fragrances I recommend 'Light my fire' from the same house.
01st May, 2017
Back to Black smells attractive when sniffed periodically, but it remains unflinchingly dense, heavy and sweet, and doesn't display the kind of deft evolution required for this kind of scent to remain interesting and wearable for me.

As others have mentioned, what you smell on top - basically a big, wet pipe tobacco note with burnt sugar and honey - is what you get until the end. Minimal evolution. The accord is nice, but it quickly gets cloying, and I wish the scent would dry out a bit more. The strong honey note makes for a compelling experience in that it brings out a distinctly wet and animalic tone in the tobacco note. I think there's a great opportunity here to keep that animalism alive and tone down the mushy, wet sweetness. Performance is strong, but at this price point, I simply expect a more dynamic experience.
27th April, 2017

Add your review of Back to Black

Shop for Back to Black products online

Search Amazon for Back to Black

Member images of Back to Black

There are no member images of Back to Black yet. Why not be the first?