Back to Black (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker

About Back to Black

Back to Black is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Calice Asancheyev-Becker

Back to Black fragrance notes

Reviews of Back to Black

chad888 Show all reviews
Before i looked at the structure in this and the notes:

Burnt sugar/honey.
Candied oranges.
Sweet SWEET SWEEEEEEET tobacco.

In that order. Top, middle, base.

This is nice though, i liked it and brought it, got home and checked the notes.

The burnt honey sugar notes are definitely the combination of honey, almond, amber with the bitterness of raspberries and cherry.

The honey lifts off which leaves a bitter sweet fruit candy smell with ginger(bread?) which i mistook for orange.

Then the vanilla, tobacco, tonka, benzoin to give a really sweet tobacco accord.

It is Ambre Narguile with burnt tobacco notes coming through to give a more bitter note.
18th May, 2016
Normally I cannot stand "honey" notes. Normally "cherry-fruit" smells annoy me. Screechy musks make me run. Something really gets me with B2B, however, and I now consider it a "guilty pleasure" that I really enjoy wearing.

Most reviews of B2B are spot on and I won't repeat what's been said. What makes this fragrance come together for me are the (get ready for another seemingly guilty pleasure!) musks that sit underneath it all. I get clean white musks and brown musks, a touch screechy, not irritating, and not animalic. It's the musks plus the touch of citrus that keep the whole thing from becoming a cloying dessert bomb.

I just works really well with my skin and I will be finding completely inappropriate times and places to wear it!
26th February, 2016
in love finally !!!

i have tried this one on for size 3 times i guess its true what they say the third times a charm

the first time i tried it on i couldn't smell myself projecting which to me is a big must when pulling the trigger on a new frag

the second time it just gave me a headache

but the third time mmmm lol it projected beautifully with only 3 sprays

the sweet honey and tobacco blended to perfection made it a very pleasant wearing

this is defiantly a must have for a true fragrance connoisseur

on to the next
22nd January, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening blast combines a somewhat dark bergamot with a herbal note, with impressions of cherries and forest berries, especially raspberries, added also. Very nice.

The drydown means business: the cherry turns sweeter, and soon a note of a somewhat stale fruit-flavoured pipe tobacco note develops, with a sweetish note of honeyed prunes blending in very nicely. The second half develops a well-executed vanilla note, rich, dark and saturated. It becomes increasingly spicy. This spiciness is not a myrrhe-incense spiciness, but more the air above an Oriental street market; it is never ceremonious à la Messe a Minuit or even Amouage's Interlude. With time it pairs up with a slightly sharp crisp undertone that reminds me of some oakmoss impression, but the vanilla sweetness prevails as a persistent counterbalance. This touch of sharpness makes is a touch more interesting and bit less dense and heavy as, for instance, Tobacco Vanille.

The perfomance is truly sensational, with strong sillage, excellent projection, and a longevity of fifteen hours on my skin. This is a well-made winter scent, a hint too synthetic at times but overall convincingly in concept and realisation. One of the best By Kilian's. 3.5/5.
07th January, 2016
The opening is so damn good,just love the raspberry too bad that after a few minutes the tobacco/honey kicks in and ruines the scent for me.Herod is doing a much better job and is excellent from start to finish,great cherry/tobacco mix and is done so right and is without honey so the combo tobacco/honey is not for me.
27th November, 2015
Understandably a very popular sweet tobacco option in the niche/luxury genre, By Kilian's Back to Black is the first and only perfume of their line that I've sampled due to my interest in sweet tobacco but the also absence of the brand's availability in stores near me (or in general).

Back to Black does not disappoint, being among top sweet tobacco options. The tobacco element is perhaps as rich and deep as in any tobacco fragrance I've ever smelled (it has the natural aspect of a Demeter or Jo Malone). The honey sweetness is also distinct from the more alcoholic sweetness of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and the more pure sugary sweetness of Parfums de Marly Herod.

Projection and longevity are both very strong--it's a promising example for the line, so it inherently makes me think that other By Kilian options will perhaps be worthwhile from a strength standpoint.

The composition on a whole, though, is still inferior to the giants Tobacco Vanille and Herod, and being more expensive than either ($260 for 50ml) is the main reason I wouldn't opt for a full bottle of Back to Black but rather a small decant for the collection. Many argue that Back to Black is the best, though, and I can certainly see why. It's inviting, and has both rich tobacco and sweet sides to it, fully ready to take on a variety of cold weather situations, especially dressed-up and special occasions.

Highly recommended as a sweet tobacco option. This could easily be a signature scent and certainly seems to be for many men.

8 out of 10
05th October, 2015

Add your review of Back to Black

Shop for Back to Black products online

Shop for Back to Black at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Back to Black

Member images of Back to Black

There are no member images of Back to Black yet. Why not be the first?