Back to Black (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerCalice Asancheyev-Becker

About Back to Black

Back to Black is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Calice Asancheyev-Becker

Back to Black fragrance notes

Reviews of Back to Black

Understandably a very popular sweet tobacco option in the niche/luxury genre, By Kilian's Back to Black is the first and only perfume of their line that I've sampled due to my interest in sweet tobacco but the also absence of the brand's availability in stores near me (or in general).

Back to Black does not disappoint, being among top sweet tobacco options. The tobacco element is perhaps as rich and deep as in any tobacco fragrance I've ever smelled (it has the natural aspect of a Demeter or Jo Malone). The honey sweetness is also distinct from the more alcoholic sweetness of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and the more pure sugary sweetness of Parfums de Marly Herod.

Projection and longevity are both very strong--it's a promising example for the line, so it inherently makes me think that other By Kilian options will perhaps be worthwhile from a strength standpoint.

The composition on a whole, though, is still inferior to the giants Tobacco Vanille and Herod, and being more expensive than either ($260 for 50ml) is the main reason I wouldn't opt for a full bottle of Back to Black but rather a small decant for the collection. Many argue that Back to Black is the best, though, and I can certainly see why. It's inviting, and has both rich tobacco and sweet sides to it, fully ready to take on a variety of cold weather situations, especially dressed-up and special occasions.

Highly recommended as a sweet tobacco option. This could easily be a signature scent and certainly seems to be for many men.

8 out of 10
05th October, 2015
I'm getting tobacco, vanilla, honey, smoke and something leatherish (I'm looking at you, 1 Million!) out of this. The composition is definitely balanced towards the sweeter side. This may be a cool clubbing-scent for goth-/rock-kids. Ridiculous price.
06th August, 2015
A bit sweet in the beginning but an excellent opening nonetheless. One of my favorite dry downs as the tobacco becomes almost salty-sweet (in a very good way) on my skin. It is a fairly linear scent as others have mentioned. Longevity and sillage are excellent. A definite 4.5 out of 5 in my book.
30th July, 2015
A truly opulent scent that portrays wealth and class. BACK to BLACK BY KILIAN is one of the most expensive in my collection. however i am not a big fan of unisex fragrnces but i couldent disregard this one as I am absolutely enamored with tobacco& honey and vanilla scents.It makes you seem more mature.this perfume is what you wear when you want the ambiguity of your age to enhance your sensuality. Classy, Glamorous, Luxurious,Seductive,Expensive,Warm and Sweet but not in a cloying way.

The fragrance has combintion of sweet blast of cardamom,white honey mix with saffron and raspberry, perfectly blanced and just the right strength,making way for a sensual,classy and comforting base composed of amber,vanilla, tobacco and patchouli as i feel like a million bucks when I wear reminds me a wealthy and dandy man who walk in a salon with a exquisite pipe in his hand.BACK to BLACK BY KILIAN is intimate stuff best reserved to be shared with your loved one.perfect for autumn and winter evening.women will pry the bottle from your hands,so take care!

Longevity?Good on my skin.

02nd June, 2015
solid sillage and duration... a bit linear but never cloying, rather linear...but one of the best outings from this house!
21st April, 2015
Tried this as a sample of some of the Kilian line. Where's the bergamot? I also like honey but I don't want to wear it. This is making me nauseous.
10th April, 2015

Add your review of Back to Black

Shop for Back to Black products online

Shop for Back to Black at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Back to Black

Member images of Back to Black

There are no member images of Back to Black yet. Why not be the first?