Urban Musk (2009)

Urban Musk information

Year of Launch2009

HouseTom Ford

About Urban Musk

Urban Musk is a shared / unisex perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Urban Musk

shoddy

What is an urban musk? And, importantly for fashionistas, who prioritize urban above all else, what would a rural musk or a suburban musk smell like. Accordingly, cow shit and hell?

Urban musk smells to me like Kiehl's Musk Number One that has been watered down both in fact and in concept. It smells like a bland, slightly berry-like musk that has been accented with a drop of an animalic musk then diluted by a non-descript sweet floral.

When the Ford Privée line offers a deliberately simple product, such as Azure Lime, or a new take on a familiar piece, such as Lavender Palm’s take on lavender, I'll cut them some slack. When their product is a shoddy take on a simple product available at 1/10 the cost, I say fuck 'em. Don't buy it.

from scent hurdle.com
27th August, 2013
I love Dumbo but this....

Dumbo is a Disney creation. Urban Musk is a Tom Ford creation. I wished I could flap my ears when I tried it, anything to fan away the odor of the elephant house. Yes, this was a big dumpy poo from Jumbo as he walked through the zoo with his keeper. Maybe it's a guy thing.

Pros: Maybe it's a guy thing
Cons:

19th June, 2013
There is straight up lightish musk with only a minimum of barnyard on my skin, but a light freshness, even a bit of green herbs. After about an hour this becomes close to my skin, and over times a fruity note emanates, that at times gives the impression of overripe bananas and other fruits. Towards the end a nut component develops and blends in very nicely with the rest. After an hour is becomes close to my skin, with limited silage and projection but excellent longevity of nearly eight hours on me. Not much country to me, and the name is not inappropriate in my case.
17th August, 2012
Definetely not an unisex fragrance as rarely are the withe top pvt blends.
I wearied it twice and dumped.
05th May, 2012
I lay out my opinion from the start: Urban Musk smells like a base rather than a fully worked-out fragrance. Do I find the intensely animalic notes intriguing? Yes. Am I surprised that, despite the smack-you-in-the-face barnyard notes, UM is still very wearable? Yes. Is a fragrance that is clearly meant to be layered worth almost $200 for a small bottle? No.

UM is fascinating to me primarily as a study on what a niche brand thinks perfumistos/as want to smell. It certainly delivers some of the raunchy, barnyard notes that I miss in contemporary fragrances. That said, it really doesn't deliver much more. The top notes are deliciously raunchy, and as things mellow out there is still a notable animalic tone. Eventually, however, it dries down to a comfortable musk that smells remarkably of baked goods. There's not much more to it than that.

If this were $40 for 50ml, I would buy up a case of it and layer it with virtually everything I own. But for nearly five times that amount, I'm a lot less inclined to make the commitment.
19th October, 2011
The problem with the musk note in niche brands is that it's legit musk. Legit musk, smells like sh*t. When I say legit, I mean not as synthetic smelling, not as chemically induced. Musk in a more natural way. You may ask yourself, "who wants to smell like poo?". Well, natural musks in fragrances are rather upper class. Now, I'm not saying that - if you wear Jovan Musk, you're trailer trash.. no; wear what you like - of course! I'm saying that I associate the more natural musks with the more affluent crowd, kings, queens, and royalty. This is just my opinion though.

Now.. with all that said, let's talk about Urban Musk. Well.. myself, not being a big musk fan, you can imagine me bashing this fragrance. However, the musk in the opening of Urban Musk, although very raw and natural smelling, is toned down. Ya, it still smells like poo.. but hang in there a little while. 10,20,30 minutes tops, and you'll see this fragrance transform into a different smokey blend, with some sort of deep dark fruit note(s), amber, some spices (very subdued), and a little something sweet.. but I can't quite pinpoint it. The overall dry down though is very very smokey, I'm talking like Tea for Two smokey. It's not bad, but not really my flavor.

On the upside of things, it lasts forever, but I didn't get much projection.. this could also be because I was expecting a natural musk smell, which isn't my thing, so I feared it would project, and I did a rather small application every time I wore this. Now knowing more about it, I may wear this fully soon, and revise this part of the review if needed.
06th February, 2011

Add your review of Urban Musk

Shop for Urban Musk products online

Search Amazon for Urban Musk

Member images of Urban Musk

There are no member images of Urban Musk yet. Why not be the first?