Bois de Turquie (2008)
    by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Bois de Turquie Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Bois de Turquie

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 1 Negative Reviews

gmstrack's avatar
    gmstrack

Bois de Turquie by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is a gorgeous iris/sandalwood composition and one of my favorite scents for every day wear. It starts out sweet with notes of iris, mandarin orange, and orange blossom and quickly develops on the skin to expose sandalwood and bay leaf while a hint of myrrh lurks in the background. The iris note is beautiful and it never becomes too powdery because it is tamed by the sandalwood and perky bay. BdT makes me feel beautiful, approachable, and feminine; I could wear this everywhere and feel comfortable and appropriate. Longevity is mediocre, so I apply it to my undergarments. Projection is interesting because some of the notes sit very close to the skin, while the floral component leaves a decent trail. Overall, BdT is quite lovely and high quality.

07 April, 2013

blackened's avatar
    blackened
    Spain Spain

One of the best takes on orris-root.
    Great scent !! a relatively unknown perfume with a fruity-iris accord really estimable. good iris smell , not powdery or harsh , but a fruity/almondy and slighty creamy iris, swayed by a breeze of orange blossom, very wearable indeed and also with good longevity; although included in the pyramid of notes, I personally don´t notice the role of incense here.
    big thumbs up for MPG!!

16 November, 2011

digger51's avatar
    digger51

As said before this is a light scent. There is nothing that jumps out at you in Bois de Turquie. However, that does not mean it is a bad scent at all. It lacks the overall greatness of Santal Noble, but it is a very nice in its own right. It starts with a distinct but not overpowering orange scent due to the Mandarin, Orange blossom, Bergamot
    notes. from there is moves smoothy in the floral and base notes while retaining the subtle orangeness. This has the distinct MPG smell and feel to it.

I am not sure what it has to do with woods and the name is somewhat misleading IMHO because it is not a woody scent at all. Even though it has a citrus opening it is not an aquadic scent either. I am not sure how to classify it, but it is pleasing.

If you are expecting a dramatic scent like Santal Noble, Parfum D'Habit or Ambre Précieux then you will be disappointed, but if you can accept it for what it is then you will be pleased. It is more subtle and lighter than the other three, but crafted just as nicely. MPG has another winner that I shall gladly wear for years.

03 October, 2011

foetidus

At first sniff I get a combination of bay leaf and orange blossom – the opening reminds me a tiny bit of Iris Bleu Gris, but I find the very first notes of the opening much more likable that IBG; it is very enjoyable and interesting, but the enjoyment simply doesn’t last. The pyramid of Bois de Turquie lists a few floral notes – orange blossom, bergamot, and jasmine – but I don’t pick up on them even after the opening has disappeared. Rather, the opening morphs into the same violet-like off-note (I strongly dislike violet notes) that I get from Iris Bleu Gris, and I’m ready to scrub the fragrance from my skin. I understand that several orris notes give a violet-like emanation, and I believe that I’ve discovered the truth of that in Iris Bleu Gris and Bois de Turquie. I must admit, though, that BdT is a much milder form of my dislike. I do manage to lose the offending note without having to scrub, and I get a soft, attractive, resinous skin scent of myrrh and incense and wood for the drydown.

I don’t quite understand the position of Bois de Turkuie in the scheme of things from MPG. It hints at daring rather than actually being daring. “Daring” has been MPG’s forte for years. Ordinarily I would rate BdT as a neutral because the problem with the iris is mine, not theirs, but in BdT’s case, It is weak in sillage and longevity… and “weak” is the right word to use because it does not exhibit any of that hauntingly beautiful translucency such as MPG achieved with Sanguine Muskissime and some other of their scents. Considering this recent offering along with the reformulations of the original fragrances, I’m afraid that MPG is a company caught in a downward transition, and that is sad.

16 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2010)

's avatar

This is a very pleasant scent. There's a smooth ebb and flow in it, reminiscent of the waves on a beach.. in - say- Antalya. I find it sophisticated and pleasing to the senses, much lighter than Ambre Précieux , for example, and utterly pleasing to the senses. The name does not suit the perfume...it does not conjute up images of woods in Turkey, since it is not very "woody". As I was told in the shop in Paris recently, Bois de Turquie doesn't sell well. Maybe this is due to the poor staying power?

07 March, 2010

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

The predominant notes in this fragrance are mandarin orange and sandalwood. It is unisex because it is a light fragrance. The beautiful orange opening is warm and inviting while the base is subtle with a light wood incense scent. The laurel and geranium add light elevating green notes along the way. Iris, incense, myrrh and patchouli also keeps the drydown firmly in the incense woods category but still a very light stroke with all these notes. There is a subtlety here that reads as feminine or a very sensitive masculine scent. This fragrance is unique in fragrances I have tried even though orange and spice is a common theme (Kouros, Orange Spice, Elixir, L Eau d' Toracco) this version is the most subtle and ethereal I've tried. The closest comparative fragrance I've smelled is probably Baume du Doge by Eau d' Italie, but Bois de Turquie is a more subtle sandalwood scent with fewer spice notes and more incense. This is a wonderful fragrance to live with. My only complaint with this fragrance is that in its subtlety and low sillage it almost disappears until you move in close.

07 January, 2010