Ophelia (2009)
    by Heeley

Ophelia Fragrance Notes

Shop for Ophelia products online

Reviews of Ophelia

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

dlane1953's avatar
    dlane1953

Fresh, innocent white floral

A very beautiful, fresh-smelling fragrance with lots of staying power. (12 hours later I was still enjoying the scent.) Every note seems natural and vivid.

The opening is super-sweet and tangy with the scent of freshly squeezed oranges. After about 15 minutes a soapy note crept in but dissipated shortly thereafter. The white florals are big and delicate at the same time---not overpowering. A watery note seems to run throughout the life of this fragrance, very suggestive of poor Ophelia's end. I usually avoid aquatic fragrances, but this one never steps over the bounds into something that's too much for my nose. In fact, it's very beautiful and evocative. The base notes are subtle to my nose, underscoring the general delicacy of the scent without fanfare. Sillage is excellent.

Pros: Delicate, fresh, realistic white floral
    Cons: Short life span"

19 September, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

I received a sample of this, and gave it to my wife. It smells incredible, and she fell in love with the Jasmine and Tuberose combination. It is definitely a woman's fragrance, there is nothing unisex in this at all. Heeley House, like Penhaligon's, has wonderful fragrances, but they lack the longevity and projection that other houses have. I applies some to my forearm and it smelled great, but sat politely on my arm.

29 November, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

A green jasmine with an aquatic lightness at the top which deepens to accommodate airy tuberose (now there's a contradiction in terms) and hints of muguet. It's that subtle, simple thing that Heeley does well but which ultimately never has me reaching for my wallet. This is a white floral bouquet that may tempt those who can't stand them; it's stripped of indoles and trips shivering naked through the clouds, singing: 'I could live on air alone.' A cunningly charming creation.

28 June, 2012

jtd's avatar
    jtd

The topnotes of Ophelia give that fullness of spring that makes you crave summer. Then it gives you that, too!

The initial notes of muguet and jasmine and their bursting-at-the-seems fresh spring sweetness are underlined by the watery crispness these early flowers of the season have. Moving into its heart, Ophelia sheds a bit of green and takes on early summer in all its white floral beauty. Tuberose and ylang ylang are a leisurely indulgence compared to spring’s exuberance and take Ophelia into the sultry, dreamy phase with a bit of underbelly showing thanks to the indoles.

Fortunately, spring to early summer is the timeframe. None of the prelude to nostalgia that late summer implies. Ophelia’s heart and base give that heightened feel of the endless potential of summer. The wonderful trick here is that Ophelia remains the white/green bouquet composed of all its elements. Even in ‘summer’ mode, the spring flowers remain, if in the background.

And then we have the lily. I haven’t seen anyone else note this, but a watery-ambery, raspy lily not unlike the one in DK Gold comes along in the basenotes to take a soft-handed lead. Its watery note suddenly seems like the logical outcome of all the flowers that have preceded it. Here, I assume, is the full Ophelia of Hamlet reference: handing out flowers, then winding up in the water.

I can find what I like in most perfume genres fairly easily. Chypres, orientals, leathers. But sometimes a boy just can’t find a satisfying, gorgeous, huge, white floral. Problem solved.

20th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2011)

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l don't get any indoles from this, just a very pretty, soapy jasmine, gardenia & a little lily of the valley, with some green stems. A lovely spring scent, not as strong or long-lasting as Yosh's Whiteflowers, but with a softer feel. Very nice.

09 February, 2011

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

When I dabbed on Ophelia an image immediately popped into my head: the six of cups card from the Tarot deck.

This is the card of childhood innocence, kindness and charity, and purity of thought. This is the card of Ophelia.

This is one of the most subtle, fragrant green florals I have ever smelled. The green notes aren't spelled out but to me it is earthy like violet. Tuberose is listed, and I am very sensitive to sweetness but here it does not dominate.

This scent is like a chewy green, not sharp like tree bark, nor bitter like citrus; but firm and robust (and a bit watery), like the smell I get when I walk through the redwood forests and pluck moss from the trees.

It's more than a skin scent and stops way short of announcing your entry. Longevity is good and quaility is up there. Love it.

07 June, 2010