Baudelaire (2009)

Baudelaire information

Year of Launch2009

HouseByredo

About Baudelaire

Baudelaire is a shared / unisex perfume by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2009

Baudelaire fragrance notes

Reviews of Baudelaire

Byredo Baudelaire is a spicy masculine scent that's vaguely in the same spirit of fougeres while lacking their freshness.

A mix of juniper, pepper, leather, patchouli, incense, and even a little amber, Baudelaire has spicy elements and lean towards more of a cold weather men's signature scent. The juniper and pepper stand out as sharper notes, even in the dry down, but most of the other accords are in harmony, the amber serving as a smoother counterweight to the incense, patchouli, and leather, a trio that can otherwise be daunting..

I like a little bit, but not nearly as much as some of the more classic spicy men's options from the 80s like YSL Jazz and Chanel Antaeus.

Still, it doesn't move the needle for me very much. I can easily see how men and women alike could love this one, but it's just "off" on my skin, not quite where I feel it should be. Perhaps that's simply my wanting it to be more like other fragrances in the same subgenre, but at least for me, Baudelaire is one I was happy to try but am happier not to buy.

6 out of 10
06th June, 2017
This is a mild thumbs up for a mildly affecting fragrance which takes a slightly different spin on a widely applied formula. Sure it's good; sure it's nice; it would be twice as nice at half the price. The black pepper, incense and leather with very light florals is done all over the place. I am not denigrating this fragrance, It is not, however, a works of olfactory genius. I am only saying there are other options in this category that are similar, possibly more distinctive and less expensive. But if you are worried about this point-- don't-- Baudelaire is a good mens fragrance, for sure. Buy without fear.
04th July, 2015
I like the leather in the drydown but the rest of the notes don't really do it for me.
07th June, 2014
Wow factor

I sprayed it, went to work last week and i walked into a room with 2 men, both men who are not using perfume and eau de Toilette at all... (Besides daily deodorant.)

Both said : damn that smells nice what are you wearing!

Ok... point made > its a great scent !
Its an non-offending great balanced (maybe the best for men from byredo in my opnion)scent.
great notes with Hyacinth and Juniper its notes are uncommon buth well blend together!
like it,love it, and i will describe later what i feel in it.
For now a winner.

Pros: Blended well
Cons:

24th August, 2013
Such a wonderful scent...warm and comforting (often...see below). I am aware most of amber and berry accords, and light notes of incense and leather. Are there hints of Jubilation XXV in there, or am I crazy? It's not as dark as I expected (and I'm not even sure why I expected this), but fruitier and rounder. More purple than black. I did have the experience once of sampling it on my skin while rather sweaty after doing some physical work in the heat, and something about the combination was intoxicating. However, this is a day-to-day roller coaster of an affair for me...some days it's something velvety I love rolling around in, and some days it's a little too brash and 80s-feeling on me. Go figure.
16th January, 2013 (last edited: 16th January, 2016)
At first I am hit by Mugler's ANGEL (the berries and balsam mix), supported by an amber base. After half an hour, ANGEL is gone and the mix of amber and patchouli has settled into a dry dark and quite pleasant masculine scent.

However, why spend $145 for BAUDELAIRE, when you can get its equivalent in ENRICO SEBASTIANI's FOR MEN for less than a quarter the cost. Odd that the latter is not listed on Basenotes - it's quite fine and the one amber scent in my fragrance wardrobe.
28th September, 2012

Add your review of Baudelaire

Shop for Baudelaire products online

Search Amazon for Baudelaire

Member images of Baudelaire

There are no member images of Baudelaire yet. Why not be the first?