Chypre

Chypre information

HouseEssentially Me
PerfumerAlec Lawless

About Chypre

One of the green classics named after Cyprus. A fresh and complex blend of citrus, floral and green notes which obscure the woody floral heart which in turn covers the base of tobacco and oak moss. Top citrus notes of linden blossom, neroli, bergamot, lime and cassis gently obscure hints of lavender and rose. Fresh green notes are provided by violet leaf, mint, cumin and seaweed. Cedarwood and cypress help marry the lighter citrus and floral notes with oak moss and tobacco. Like the best men dead butch but also soft and feminine.

Reviews of Chypre

Interesting... It's like a grassy green chypre smell with a huge gob of sweaty cumin on top. Given time, the chypre elements all melt together into a quiet hum of essential oil smell, while what appears to be lemon verbena fuses with the omnipresent cumin.

The basic feel and recipe of this remind me of Diorella, with its vegetal green chypre and cumin, but it's like a blocky reinterpretation. If Diorella is a hazy impressionist painting of a grassy, mossy French countryside, then Chypre is the same scene painted in big blocks of color with the subtle shading largely removed. Big greens and yellows and big loud cumin - it's not without its charm, but ultimately I'm not a cumin fan and, at least in this case, I prefer hazy impressionist complexity over this lo-fi version.
30th January, 2018
Eliza Show all reviews
For the first 10 minutes I suffered through something bitter and medicinal . this one isn not for me. I love to read the notes: violets, tobacco, and oakmoss , but I couldn't detect them when I wore Chypre. It does develop into something woody and rose like which is nice, yet the first part of it was unpleasant for me.
29th November, 2010

In the opening I get a strongly aromatic cedar woodnote that demolishes the florals and dominates the its tobacco note... absolutely no citrus. Because I am oversensitive to wood notes, the florals and citrus, and later the green, moss, and marine notes simply do not make it through the cedar dominance. I do get cumin, and that hangs on for the run of the fragrance. I like the cumin and I feel it’s about the only note in the fragrance that says “chypre” to me. Because chypre is my favorite genre, I originally thought that I would like to experience an oakmoss with a little more strength of character. In wearing the fragrance, I somehow, someway get a genuine chypre feel in it, and I have no idea why that is so, and I enjoy it. Just like many of the original women’s chypres, this Chypre is suitable for a man. Sexy.

01st November, 2010
Like a crossbreed of Coty Chypre and Bowling Green, CHYPRE is a tad spicy and not quite as mossy as I prefer my chypres to be. I don't find it gourmand at all, at least not in the projected sillage, but the cumin tends to overstay its welcome.

Notes:
linden blossom, neroli, bergamot, lime, cassis, lavender, rose, violet leaf, mint, cumin, seaweed, cedar, cypress, tobacco, oakmoss.
30th October, 2010
Nice gourmand scent with lots of spice; yes the cumin is ever present from the top notes right through to the basenotes; very long lasting and made with good ingredients; I have really enjoyed it this one too...

Thanks very much...big thumbs up...!!!

26th October, 2010
...excuse me...but there seems to be an excess of cumin in my Chypre!

...and lots of it! If you love cumin, this one will melt your heart. If you're like me, and have a serious aversion ~ you may not enjoy it. A little too foody for my taste too. True enough, the cumin fades and what's left is much like Coty's original Chypre! Although it's not my style, this unique take on the genre' should bring some devoted followers.

22nd October, 2010

Add your review of Chypre

Shop for Chypre products online

Member images of Chypre

There are no member images of Chypre yet. Why not be the first?