Vanille Intense (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseNicolaï
PerfumerPatricia de Nicolaï

About Vanille Intense

Vanille Intense is a feminine perfume by Nicolaï. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Patricia de Nicolaï

Vanille Intense fragrance notes

Reviews of Vanille Intense

This fragrance is anything but a pale and monothematic gourmandish vanille. I get plenty of structure and opulence indeed. Vanille Intense by Parfums de Nicolai is a gorgeous amber-chypre with a plain baroquely powdery main vibe, a touch of initial liquorous-eliotropic atmosphere and an histrionic neroli's aristocratic performance. Actually this fragrance is an "amber noir" rich of luxurious charm, loftiness and dramatic decadence. High inlaid ceilings, chandeliers, bas-reliefs, draperies, golden massive frames and mystery dominate the imaginary scene ideally set insidea gorgeous gothic countryside's aristocratic building. I get an amazing accord of rich hesperides (orange's oil in particular), sweet spices (effectively huge cinnamon and cloves), mentholated immortelle, patchouli, musk, (may be hints of ylang-ylang), powdery woods and rich amber. I get a resinous (slightly buttery) presence in the blend, something vaguely waxy-honeyed and warmly animalic. Probably opoponax is included in the recipe supported by further resins and rich balsams. Immortelle actually elicits a sort of "atmospherical" aromatic-minty boise aura more than properly a "materialistically vegetal" herbal-earthy feel. The overall effect is luxurious and debauched, a cyprian sort of lofty olfactory ambience conceptually a la Cerchi Nell'Acqua Usmar Venezia (basically a far more resinous blend) or Il Profvmo Patchouli Noir. Olfactive ambiences a la Maria Candida Gentile's (and Farmacia SS Annunziata's) resinous creations jump vaguely on mind and I get soon effectively an high quality musk really close in "visceral" quality to the Acampora's hyper smooth vegetal main raw material (actually a superb musk). I catch qualities I've effectively yet picked up in scents from Boucheron (such like the more radiant Jaipur Saphir) or in oriental semi-gourmand juices from L'Artisan Parfumeur. Finally musk succeedes on vanilla as main supporting element for the dominant orangy-spicy amber and a darker opaque ambience (partially conjuring, for different reasons, scents a la Rochas Tocade, Guerlain Shalimar, Habit Rouge, Bois d'Armenie, Kiori by Kiori or Caron Parfum Sacre) starts mastering the stage. It is a sort of resinous-opaque obscure musk kind of supported by a subtle piquant-bitter dustiness, by a pungent-acid spiciness (may be clove or cumin), smoke, may be hints of frankincense and by kind of Odriu'esque bitter herbal influences (plus woods). I'm sure to pick up a touch of velvety suede along the "profound" dry down. Vanilla Intense is a surprisingly lofty/classy dark amber-juice with a rich congeries of sophisticated and aristocratic facets. A fine dandy fragrance evoking (under its external cover) a "fuzzy" background of orchestras, sin, perdition and tragedy.
23rd October, 2015 (last edited: 26th October, 2015)
I was ready for a (likely boring) blast of pure vanilla, but Nicolai’s Vanille Intense does contain way more than simple vanilla. Actually, if it wasn’t for the name, I would not have called this a “vanilla” scent at all. This seems to me more a sort of really pleasant, albeit sadly slightly cheap sort of neroli-bergamot-musky fragrance with some pepper-cumin, a whiff of herbal aniseed and quite a bold presence of orange-fruity notes, with also a really graceful smell of orange flowers. Not overly sweet overall – actually, barely sweet. There’s some sweetness but it is dry, austere, dusty, elegantly floral. Vanilla is there just to soften and sweeten the base notes, and it even almost disappears after a while. The drydown seems in fact mostly peppery-ambery still with a balsamic whiff of orange and herbs (with a persistent nuance of aniseed for me, which may be an aldehyde though). Kind of similar to the same concept of Fendi Theorema for women, just a bit louder and cheaper here, less heavy on cinnamon and heavier on both pepper, amber and orange-herbal notes.

Quite pleasant overall: a tart, refined, really aromatic fragrance, and for once it’s aromatic in a slightly unusual way – not many fragrances use orange notes this way. Vanille Intense kind of explores orange in some of its nuances – you get the leaves, the blossoms, the fruit. The rest – spices, amber, vanilla, some musk – just acts as a background enhancing the main notes. Sadly the quality doesn’t seem that high as regards of the materials (thus affecting the richness and the vibrancy of the notes), and despite you get a nice evolution and some really nice nuances, overall I find Vanille Intense a bit cheap – in the “flat/synthetic” meaning. You feel it could be way more sparkling and charming than this. I wished they had a bit more budget for it, as Vanille Intense had all the potential to be a really good fragrance. Anyway as-is it is still undoubtedly pleasant, warm, comforting and easy to wear, also with excellent projection and persistence... just a little overpriced for the quality for me.

6,5-7/10
30th July, 2015
Genre: Oriental

Well, they got the “intense” right. This stuff has Klieg light projection. And yes, it’s vanilla, too.

Vanille Intense doesn’t spend much time on traditional citrus top notes and instead jumps right onto a very sweet vanilla liqueur accord with just a dab of orange blossom and sweet spice. Nicolaï’s is an unabashedly gourmand vanilla, and without relief from the smoke and animalic civet accents of, say, Shalimar of Bal à Versailles, some noses may find its clear, candied flavor too one-dimensionally sweet. Patchouli and a clean musk add depth and substance to the central cinnamon, vanilla, and orange blossom accord as the scent plays out, but the overall shape doesn’t alter much over time. The scent pyramid includes immortelle, and Vanille Intense is one of those rare compositions where this bully of a note does not overwhelm its neighbors. Instead, it adds a welcome sense of dark mystery to what might otherwise have been a bland powdery vanilla-amber drydown.

Boozy vanilla oriental fragrances are all the rage among the high-end perfume houses, a trend begun with Guerlain’s Spiritueuse Double Vanille and continued recently in L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Havana Vanille. Guerlain’s offering grates on me, with a jarring acidic middle note and a crude angularity to its structure, while Havana Vanille just disappears after an interesting start. Nicolaï, by comparison, seems to get it right, and though this particular type of scent doesn’t hold much appeal for me, I can’t find much to fault in Vanille Intense.

07th July, 2014
This one opens with a HUGE head-clearing blast of camphorish spice that reminds me of men's aftershave. On me it has a little soapiness in the heart. It quickly moves into a very complex dry down that is both intensely incensey and spicy and also sweet, warm, dark, musky vanilla. It's like patchouli cinnamon bun incense. I've sampled this a few times now and did not get anything 'pissy' or stinky when I wore it as some of the other reviewers experienced - thank goodness :) But I do have to say that this fragrance definitely took some getting used to! I was not expecting it to be so assertive, but I really appreciate it's intensity, I love the way the fragrance notes are layered, how it evolves and changes, and I also like it's sillage. It's wonderfully invigorating, bracing even. It definitely woke me up! It would be a good unisex fragrance.

All in all, I don't love it, but I like it a lot and I think it has it's place as being unique, interesting, and NOT boring. Something to wear when I need to clear the cob-webs.
13th April, 2013
Off scenter's thoughts are bang on with this one. The orange and vanilla custard are so edible I wanted to lick them.Yet there is something else, compelling, I still can't name, which makes this a genuine scent not an accident in a patisserie. However I refrained from purchasing it and went with Odalisque, because something about VI told me it would just go on... and on... and on, without noticeable change.
I do want to eat it though!
04th March, 2012
There really isn't too much to say about this one. It opens with a brilliant vanilla liqueur scent that I just can't get enough of, and unfortunately I mean that in a literal sense because it's over within two hours. After that the lavender starts to dominate the sillage and I completely lose interest. Lavender just isn't a good enough smell to hold court and dominate the way it does here. Such behavior would typically tilt a fragrance into the "negative" category, however, due to the fantastic opening I'll just lay an obnoxious neutral onto this fragrance with a rolled up newspaper. "No, bad Vanille Intense, look what you've done to the carpet!"
22nd January, 2012

Add your review of Vanille Intense

Shop for Vanille Intense products online

Search Amazon for Vanille Intense

Member images of Vanille Intense

There are no member images of Vanille Intense yet. Why not be the first?