Cowboy Grass (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseD.S. & Durga
PerfumerDavid Moltz

About Cowboy Grass

Cowboy Grass is a masculine fragrance by D.S. & Durga. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Moltz

Cowboy Grass fragrance notes

Reviews of Cowboy Grass

Vetiver combined with herbs, greens and the smell of a saddle blanket – salt, sebum and leather. A bold and unique draft on vetiver.

With vetiver in its center, the evolvement of the composition seems linear, still it follows the standard sequences unobtrusively. In the opening the green facets are highlighted. There are linalool and other common green top notes but in an unusual high concentration, strong and harsh. A bite that does not curry favor with one, it rather shows attitude. The key and allure of the whole perfume.

Within 15 minutes the bite leaves, green stays and the brute (animal), dirtier shares are emerging. They mingle and bounce against each other, slowly fading towards the end (which is the next day) leading into a fully and roundedly rendered, blazing, aromatic, fruity aspect of vetiver. Very pleasing.
22nd July, 2015
From a sample...
From the opening until fading several hours later, I constantly got the scent of beeswax. It's a slightly sour, yet dry resin type scent that I just couldn't warm up to. It's very different, and if you are looking for different in a outdoor avant-garde sort of way, Cowboy Grass may appeal to you. Maybe it's the combination of wild grasses and herbs that bees make their wax from that gives this fragrance it's distinction. Just not a scent for me.
11th July, 2015
D.S. & Durga seems to excel at combining natural elements that effectively evoke real settings, and Cowboy Grass is no exception, the emphasis being on grass.

Spice, grass, wood, vetiver all seem to contribute to Cowboy Grass, which ends up coming off not as strong / wintery as Burning Barbershop or Bowmakers, but certainly not as light as some of the greener fragrances. So in that respect, it has an interesting all-season versatility to it. Decent longevity and projection, but not terribly impressive in either, this might be a worthwhile try as it does not remind me of anything I've smelled recently.

6 out of 10
08th July, 2015
Vetiver often dominates a fragrance to the point of making it feel one-dimensional. When it does, it tends to bore me. Not so with D S & Durga's Cowboy Grass. I get an initial blast of vetiver, followed by a complex grassy and herbal accord. The vetiver never goes away, but there is a nice balance between the vetiver, the sagebrush, wild thyme, and prairie switchgrass and that isn't all - the trademark resinous notes that are commonly associated with D S & Durga fragrances are there as well. This makes for a complex, interesting, vetiver fragrance that deserves more attention than it has gotten to date. Thumbs up!
11th June, 2015
Vetiver. Grassy vetiver that manages to spark, fizzle and buzz. From someone that considers Guerlain Vetiver 'the standard', Cowboy Grass leaves me thinking of an incomplete synthetic-feel component piece meant for something more complex and versatile.

Perceptions taken off a sample. Online, a 50ml bottle costs > $100. I'm 50+, for reference.
13th February, 2015
Cowboy Grass continues the olfactory theme of most of the D.S. & Durga line - resinous, pungent, raw fragrances that are mostly dry, texturally scratchy and not easy-to-like.

CG is all grasses, dirt and dry woods - a sort of supercharged vetiver note with no iodine-salty notes - rather a flat, grassy and roasted smelling leaf note.

I used to work cutting grass during my summer vacations, as an adolescent, to earn money and when you've spent a day in the sunshine, sweating with bits of dried grass, leaves and dirt all over your body and work clothes the smell sort of reminds me of CG. Strangely enough, swirling around in the middle of all of this, is a mint note - that adds a bit of depth to the scent (sort of like the mint note in Derby does). And then, unexpectedly, the scent starts to disappear rapidly on skin. For such a strong vetiver top note I expected this one to last a bit more. I would have over applied it if I could...but the way this pierces the nose when applied I don't think anyone could actually tolerate over applying this one - it's very tough and gritty.

Fans of Lorenzo Villoresi, Andy Tauer's harsh, strange and difficult-to-get-the-first-time approach to perfumery, should check out Cowboy Grass and a few others in the D.S. & Durga line.

I love sampling this sort of scent. It's sort of an extension of the CdG Leaves Series, which I love. I am weird like that. :) But I can't imagine wanting to reach for CG on a regular basis: I have no idea in what sort of setting I would wear something like this.
09th July, 2010

Add your review of Cowboy Grass

Shop for Cowboy Grass products online

Shop for Cowboy Grass at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Cowboy Grass

Member images of Cowboy Grass

There are no member images of Cowboy Grass yet. Why not be the first?