Orange Star (2010)
    by Tauer

Orange Star Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Orange Star

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Tauer's Eau d'epices with a sprinkle of Fanta - not much else to say, if you are familiar with that (both Fanta and Ed'E). A bit messy.

13 April, 2014

jtd's avatar
    jtd

amber orange

I've written about a couple of orange perfumes recently. (Bond no 9 Little Italy and Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine) Neither one of them was satisfying, and both did orange an injustice. Come to think of it, I do know another solution to the orange problem perfumery. Robert Piguet Baghari seems to keep a shadowy, candied orange alive forever but this kind of magic seems to have a Faustian quality to it, so I'll leave it be.

I think Andy Tauer has found a solution to the orange dilemma.

The two perfumes that failed the orange tried to treat it like a lemon and make Eau de Cologne out of it. Citrus is bright, and citrus olfactory notes are volatile. Focusing on the lightness but trying to make it last feels a bit desperate, like the search for an eternal appearance of youth. I call this the red shoes approach. Keep dancing and maybe you'll convince yourself of eternal youth.

Tauer’s solution seems more realistic but no more prosaic, and likely more repeatable to anybody who would care to investigate (ie. imitate). He neither candies the orange, nor tries to make a cologne out of it. He preserves it. In stretching out the life of the orange, Orange Star trades some of the fruit’s tartness for a luscious hint of salt, but in finding endurance it also appears to have concentrated the flavor. Playing with depth and thickness instead of sweetness, Tauer fastens citrus to amber, and finds a middle ground that is both refined and lasting. With amber’s inherent lushness Orange Star glows more than it shines. Perhaps it has less wattage than a short-lived cologne, but it also has a lithe, like sun-kissed-skin quality that makes it both playful and kinda' hot. I’d love to smell this on someone else.

24 September, 2013

Superlekker13's avatar
    Superlekker13

I am not sure about this one - I want to love it, but when first sprayed, it has a rsther overpowering cheap bath bubble/soapy top note that stays on for an hour or so. It is very, very strong. Then it settles to spicy very sweet orange, violet and fizzy pop. A very femininine scent, too feminine for me, and perhaps a bit too overpowering for my workplace. A nice date scecnt, though.

02 May, 2013

calnadur's avatar
    calnadur
    Switzerland Switzerland

I cant fully make up my mind about this one.

I like the fact that, after an initial and somewhat confused outburst of fruity/green flavors, in the body of this scent the orange and citrusy notes in general are smoothened by a softer layer of vanilla and the likes.. The sweetness that remains uncontrasted towards the end however tends to bear too faint a resemblance to the picture I had drawn in my mind, inspired by such a bold label as Orange Star.

Worth a try still.

06 April, 2013

Khaibit108's avatar
    Khaibit108

This has the perfect sillage and longevity by my standards. It isn't overwhelming, but it stays and is rather noticeable. Unfortunately, after the sweetness of the orange disappeared, I was left with a nasty green herbal/floral note that I absolutely hated. It's very grassy and mildly nauseating. It's not a total scrubber, but I won't be wearing it again.

05 August, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

The opening of this has more edge than a head shop full of orange fractals. I enjoy Tauer’s audacity; the upfront blast that says, ‘Dammit, I love wearing fumes.’ Here we have tangy, bitter citrus peel, the slight gingeryness of lemongrass and what to my nose read as a spectrum of orangey aromachemicals ranging from the cleaning product to the juicy gumdrop. I know most swear how natural this one is, but to me the combination of the verité and the chemically enhanced is what makes this opening so extraordinary.
    The volume drops pretty quickly on this one, though longevity is excellent. And when the scent settles, there is a slight violet-like powderiness, the citrusy notes relax and get smoothed by a restrained almost-not-there sweetness nudging up from the base. An orange like no other, and one no-one should fear wearing.

23 July, 2012