Bang (2010)

PerfumerAnn Gottlieb
SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige

About Bang

Bang is a masculine fragrance by Marc Jacobs. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ann Gottlieb

Reviews of Bang

Bang opens up with a similar essence to its name. Projecting strong peppercorn notes, I also get a light scent of fresh liquorish. The base is almost creamy with textures of patchouli and earthy green notes, like moss. The longevity is rather disappointing, lasting about 5 hours on average. I am impartial with the initial peppercorn but it tones down rather quickly but unfortunate the cologne in general dissipates within a few hours. It's a great cologne for night at home with your special someone.
04th December, 2014
Opens up with a strong blast of pepper, before it settles down to a more general earthy tone ... for about 30 minutes, before it completely disappears.

Longevity is terrible, sillage is non-existent and projection is nothing to write home about ... which is a shame, because - for the first few minutes at least - I quite like the way this smells. Given the comparisons with TDH, I'm thinking that once this bottle of Bang is finished, I should replace it with a bottle of TDH ...

11th November, 2014
Hit and Run...

Surprising, (given it's name, and bottle)... Bang! is more pensive than party! Yes, the Opening is forcefull, metallic, and all-kinds-of-peppery. But a rosy Pink Pepper (reminiscent of cinnamon tic-tacs) quickly segues to a more solemn, subdued Heart: From there, it's all dry coniferous Woods and Pepper -mellowed out by a dark velvety Resin in the background. A touch of Oakmoss, lends a mild but stately balsalmic tang... adding pungency and depth. A classy touch. But hardly enough to make the scent, complex.

Yet, Bang! is far from boring. The highlight being an "inky" Vetiver Root (a la Encre Noire) that contrasts nicely to make the glimmer of Pink Peppercorns, PoP! It's Edgy; but brooding. I dig it. It has neither the sweetness, nor the loudness of Spicebomb (yet another spicy competitor). In fact, Bang! operates in stealth most of the time. (it's presence felt, more by others than the wearer), and there is next to no sweetness at all (save for the aforementioned tic-tac allusion). Marc Jacobs makes some bold choices with this mature, and unlikely candidate (in 2010) -Given the current trend of child-pacifying confections that pander to Gucci pocketbooks with bubble-gum taste.

I like "Bang!" in much the same way I like Gaultier's Kokorico. (I don't mean they smell alike). But their approach might come from the same "head space". Equally uncomplicated, unconventional... and with an undeniable sense of Style. So, Bang! might be of interest to my fellow "Kokoricans" as well. I was surprised how quickly this one became a staple for me in the Fall and Winter. It may have taken a few innings, but ultimately for me...

BANG! ...hits a home run.

Longevity: 8/10(in base, as skin scent)
Projection(Fall temp): 6.0/10(in mid, stealthy)
Art/Creatives: 8.5/10 (bottle,concept,
composition)– the 50ml flacon stands
up more stable than the 100ml.lol
How: work,casual,dates,fall,winter,more
pensive than playful,any age over 20 imo..
31st October, 2014 (last edited: 02nd December, 2014)
Nautral right now because I just put it on an hour or so ago. Reaging the other reviews I should expect to smell it for about another hour, and then BANG.......it's gone.

Pepper is exactly what you get from the onset. And you get it in buckets and spades. Pepper, pepper, pepper. I'm at the cedar note now. Pleasant, but as was suggested earlier..........linear.

TDH is far superior to this, and the only similiarity that I can detect is that they both start off with (somewhat) overpowering notes. Ends there.

May have to try it a few times with a bit more application next time to hopefully increase longevity.

Stay tuned.......................
19th July, 2014
On my skin the opening blast of the pepper smells like cat piss and vitamins. Luckily it is rather brief and when it fades and the woods make an appearance I do kind of like it. I get the incense vibe and to me it smells kind of like dirt in a good way. Unfortunately, it doesn't project well and Bang is entirely gone in about 2-3 hours hence the name I suppose.

I bought the 50ml for $16, so I am not going to spend too much time complaining about Bang. If I paid retail I would be much more unhappy with this frag. If you are looking for a brief masculine/sensual scent this might be a nice change of pace.

I'm thinking because it is called Bang and the 2-3 hour longevity perhaps it was intended as a bedtime scent. Bang would also work for a trip to the gym.
23rd June, 2014 (last edited: 26th June, 2014)
Genre: Woods

The best part of Bang may be the hilarious copy in the scent pyramid: "Hypnotic elemi accord?" "Primal masculine woods?" ROTFL

Peppercorn notes, black or pink, pop up so often now they bid well to become the Calone of early 21st century male perfumery. Bang tops the trend by offering peppercorns sans adornment. Its black pepper top note is the most aggressive I’ve smelled since Villoresi’s Piper Nigrum, but where Piper Nigrum morphs into a powdery vanilla oriental drydown, Bang employs a dry cedar note, a dab of vetiver, and a whopping dose of abrasive, bitter woody amber in an effort to sustain the peppercorn effect as long as possible. The result is a relatively linear, simplistic, and one-dimensional olfactory experience.

Deciding whether you’ll like Bang is easy: do you want to smell like peppercorns? If so, yes. Me? I’ve grown bored with it in the time it’s taken to compose this paragraph. I guess the ad copy wasn't so good after all...
09th June, 2014

Add your review of Bang

Shop for Bang products online

Shop for Bang at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Bang

Member images of Bang

There are no member images of Bang yet. Why not be the first?