Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir (2010)
by Parfumerie Generale

Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir information

Year of Launch2010

HouseParfumerie Generale
PerfumerPierre Guillaume
Parent CompanyPierre Guillaume Diffusion

About Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir

Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir is a feminine perfume by Parfumerie Generale. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Guillaume

Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir fragrance notes

Reviews of Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir

The newly-mown-lawn green floral top notes on Gardenia Grand Soir are simply irresistible as far as I’m concerned. They strike a perfect balance between herbaceous bitterness and floral sweetness. The florals move forward over the first ten or fifteen minutes, growing progressively soapier and a touch indolic as they do so. The juxtaposition of soapy/green and fleshy/indolic components captures some - though nowhere near all - of the peculiar dirty-fresh complexity that distinguishes gardenia. The floral accord is wrapped up tight in a very powerful and unashamedly chemical sandalwood. If there’s anything else going on here I cannot discern it behind the hugely amplified pseudo-sandalwood.

Gardenia Grand Soir’s development, such as it is, consists largely of a steady diminution of the floral notes until, after an hour or two, the “sandalwood” is all that remains. Given the appealing opening, this drydown is a shocking anticlimax. I find it unpleasantly harsh and crude, especially considering how artfully Dominique Ropion grafted a similarly massive sandalwood base note onto a white floral composition in his Carnal Flower for Frédéric Malle. Gardenia Grand Soir is no Carnal Flower, nor can it hold a candle to Estée Lauder’s Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, which still holds pride of place in my (very small) gardenia pantheon.

14th June, 2014
I beg to differ. I love this fragrance. It opens with a green gardenia note and develops into a creamy white floral and then to a fruity floral (berry, peach?). There's nothing grand about it but I love it for its light and airy quality.
19th March, 2012 (last edited: 20th March, 2012)
This is a very disappointing & puzzling fragrance to me. l don't get any gardenia or sandalwood whatsoever. What l do get is the smell of boiled sweets, (British hard candy) all the way from opening to drydown. l get the soapy greenness in the top, & a hint of jasmine about an hour in, but otherwise, just sickly, unpleasant sweetness. l went to work after 2 hours & didn't even notice it fade, l was just thankful when l realised it had gone.
10th February, 2011
Parfumerie Generale's new Gardenia Grand Soir by Piere Guillaume.
Notes : gardenia accord, australian sandalwood,mysore sandalwood, Sandalore (synthetic - warm sweet sandalwood aroma - powerful ,tenacious ,diffusive - taken from )

Begins with a touch of green - not much at all and frankly- that's as green as this scent gets. I get ' soapy green leaves ' at the start and some sandalwood and then all hell breaks loose . It gets quite intense and sweet ( I'm guessing this is the 'Grand Soir ' bit ) .
I am sorry but I am hard pushed to smell any authentic -type gardenia in this . I get soap- sweet -floral .
Maybe it's an gardenia corsage someone accidently sprayed with another floral perfume- that's what I get.
After a while the intense sweet floral closes off and is replaced primarily with sandalwood though I think the sandalwood is there from the start ,in it's own way. Then the green comes back and it's green woody floral .

My thoughts- this is a strange ,odd perfume. Not really much gardenia at all .If anything it's a green leaf gardenia corsage all mashed up to a pulp and mixed with sandalwood. Odd,peculiar and not very compelling to me. So disappointing for me - with a name like that, you would expect the grandest gorgeous blooming gardenia .

That's $95 dollars per 50 mls richer for me to put towards something else.
17th June, 2010

Add your review of Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir

Shop for Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir products online

Search Amazon for Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir

Member images of Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir

There are no member images of Private Collection - Gardenia Grand Soir yet. Why not be the first?