L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale (2010)
by Guerlain

L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale information

Year of Launch2010

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale

L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale is a shared / unisex perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale

Maybe my sample is off because it's not sweet enough for me. Also, too powdery/feminine for my tastes. I do get some of the sweet tonka but it's an airy-lighter tonka, not sticky and syrupy like I was expecting. Doesn't smell cheap but has the "old-lady" vibe. Again, might just be my sample, so if I see in a store, I will try again and update.

Performance is really good. Projects nicely and is noticeable all day.
12th October, 2017
Ohhh my god .

Amazing wonderful sweet Tonka goodness.

Reminds me a bit of feve but more subtle and dare I say it more masculine. Lovely almond vanilla fragrance but not too sweet. Reminds me a little bit of code Profumo without the vile code DNA .

This was love at first sniff , this would work better in fall and maybe in winter also. Pure sex in a bottle 11 out of 10 to guerlain

The only issue is trying to find this in the U.K. It's like unicorn tears , but this only adds to it's exclusive appeal. It is also very expensive but worth it .

I need this !!! Managed to purchase a sample which has run out and I am clucking like a chicken for my next fix of this angel ....
13th August, 2017
Like Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Tonka Impériale stays as a veil on the skin for a long time. They are not comparable, still I need to say that there is ironically more vanilla in this one that in SDV. And like in SDV, you've got to go through some very hard seconds in the opening (urine, here, jasmine I guess), before getting the nutty and spicy, sweet and soft tonka, allied to tobacco.
I thought I could compare it to Fève Délicieuse, but the tonka there is stronger, as beautiful, but with less work around it.
You've got to love almond as well, there's a lot of it.
A gorgeous unisex gourmand.
15th April, 2017 (last edited: 15th August, 2017)
Having been to the House of Fraser Manchester's Guerlain launch event of L'Art et la Matiere, I learnt that the points of departure for this exclusive line were to pay homage to the Guerlain classics, but in an almost "inverted" way, and to use a small number of the highest quality ingredients across the range. Well, in the respect of putting into practice a concept, I think Guerlain have got this spot on: the fragrances as a body index many of the classic Guerlains, but in original and provoking ways. It is hard to find common olfactory themes therein, but no matter: the vision is clear, as it the quality of the raw ingredients.

It's hard without further testing to say I prefer this that or the other of the line, but one thing is for sure: Tonka Imperiale is up there among the best. It is listed as a unisex, and I can imagine this working in the right attire and in certain surroundings, but let's face it: this is largely for the ladies. The gourmand aspects are to the fore in TI, and as you would expect, the voluptuous vanillic and biscuity accords are highlighted. However, there is also an incense note that adds a slight edge of smoky austerity. I struggle to detect any tobacco on skin, although this was more evident in testing in other media - perhaps a shame, as this probably rules me out of the market for it personally.

But beyond that, a definite modern classic and surely something that would suit the majority of women. I'm now the proud owner of a 5ml decant thanks to the kind people at HoF, and my concern is now how best to use it.
10th February, 2017
This is certainly a gourmand. It opens with strong vanilla/tonka and almonds. There is a crayon-amber note strong on application also. There are some spices, hiding in the background poking their heads out occasionally. It is fairly linear and probably not a hot/humid summer fragrance.
Opens with lilies and the ocean. algae helps with the oceanic theme. I wish I knew the aroma chemicals that Guerlain and Bond use to make this, and Fire Island smell exactly like Coppertone sun-tan lotion. It's a scent that has been around for years and brings great memories of the past, wear it on your night-out to the seafood restaurant on your beach vacation.
03rd August, 2016 (last edited: 09th September, 2016)
Delicious gourmand, with a deceptively complex structure. Repeat wears bring out incense, tobacco, rosemary. Of course, the ultra-rich and refined almond/tonka notes on top are the real star of the show.

Wear it only when you want beautiful, rich strangers to ask you to run away and live a life of luxury and indulgence together.

One of the most guaranteed sexy fragrances I've ever found. A sheer delight every time.
09th May, 2016