The Smell of Freedom

The Smell of Freedom information

HouseGorilla Perfume [Lush]
Parent CompanyLush

About The Smell of Freedom

The Smell of Freedom is a shared / unisex perfume by Gorilla Perfume [Lush].

The Smell of Freedom fragrance notes

Reviews of The Smell of Freedom

What does freedom smell like? Pretty darned good. Like incense and...violets? Notes: Lemongrass, lemon myrtle, neroli, jasmine, ginger, fire tree, clove, black pepper, sandalwood, oudh and orris. The woods and the spice and the oudh mask the jasmine, but now I'm beginning to realize that when I think the florals are beautiful there's usually jasmine or jasmine and rose. I also detect the neroli. Looking orris up, it's the dried root of the iris plant, used to build violet notes and lends powderiness. So orris is what I picked up at first. What's fire tree oil smell like? Can't find a description. Overall, this is good, but not for me.
29th December, 2013
I'm not a big perfume wearer, mostly because perfumes are generally too flowery sweet to me. Reading the reviews of other members, I'm not sure I have anything intelligent to add but this is the first scent I've found available that I've been willing to pay money for and wear in YEARS.

I feel the other reviewers describes The Smell of Freedom well but I also detect a musky undertone that intrigues me. I like a spicy musky scent so I really like this. I have tried both the stick and the small spray versions and like the stick version best. To me it's more intimate than the spray version. The sales person described the difference as more intimate as well saying: 'Wear the stick when you want your husband to smell it. Wear the spray when you want everyone to smell it.'
06th May, 2013
A fluorescently bright lemongrass and jasmine over Australian sandalwood. Isnít that first hour of freedom always the best? Unfortunately a shrill metallic note stalks the fragrance, while the citrus notes eventually run amok and eclipse the delicate 'Oudh heart' of this olfactory triptych (you can smell the components in isolation at select Lush stores). Pleasant nonetheless.
11th September, 2012
Notes include sandalwood, orris, oudh, jasmine, neroli, fire tree, lemongrass, coumarin, cinnamal.
There is something here that reminds me of violet leaves -- a silvery-bright note. Perhaps it is the orris and jasmine in combination. Perhaps the oudh (generally undetectable) is contribuing a slight piercing-metallic note.
Phase 1. Interesting, different. Bright and exotic. Too bright and grassy to be called an oriental.
Phase 2. Slightly sweet, a bit of cinnamon-like spice. The spices and woods develop very nicely.
Phase 3. Creamy-rich sandalwood. Unfortunately, this grows and (like tofu) picks up other earlier elements, such as the florals. Ultimately the scent is rather heavy, perfume-y and tiresome. Phase 3 competes with phase 2 and 3 wins.
I liked it for a while, the middle was quite nice.
26th February, 2012
The TSOF's opening is interesting and slightly unusual. Every note is played and emphasized in it's drier aspect to reach an (almost) breathtaking effect. Nice. The problem is the drydown where this fragrance turns to a louder (much louder) version of 4711 Original Eau de Cologne. Good start bad end.
27th April, 2011
On a basic level, The Smell Of Freedom operates like a jasmine-infused cologne: the freshness of neroli and lemongrass combine with white blossoms to produce the sort of soothing effect many of us would associate with bottles of 4711. However, there is much more on offer to the attentive wearer. Powdery elegance appears in the form of orris, whilst a combination of woods (including, according to the official ingredients, a touch of oud) provides an infusion of warmth. The result is a beguiling brew that veers between wispy lightness and almost unbearable bleakness, very much like liberty itself.
27th October, 2010

Add your review of The Smell of Freedom

Shop for The Smell of Freedom products online

Search Amazon for The Smell of Freedom

Member images of The Smell of Freedom

There are no member images of The Smell of Freedom yet. Why not be the first?