Iris (2010)
    by Donna Karan

Iris Fragrance notes

Orris butter, Iris absolute, Magnolia, Rose de mai, Violet flower, Vetiver, Ambrette seed

Reviews of Iris

Showing 1 to of 1 reviews.

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I love the smell of iris in nature, however in fragrances, while appealing, they just don't seem to live up to the natural flower. Iris fragrances are often too powdery, too green, too creamy or just a floral mess. My favourite iris scent so far is Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal, however I've always been open to finding another iris love.

Donna Karan's Iris tries to be as natural as possible, choosing to avoid the powderiness and the buttery qualities found in most iris perfumes. I find it quite dewy and refreshing, perhaps a diluted version of the actual flower.

In the top notes, the soft and green iris note was quite delightful, however the more it developed, I began to detect a slight soapiness that turned me off it a little. Once it reached the drydown I was disappointed with how mediocre this fragrance was.

While certainly wearable and pretty, Iris leaves much to be desired. Layering is a possibility, however I have to be honest and admit that I can't imagine iris blending easily with just anything. Experimentation would be in order to achieve something magical.

Because this fragrance is so simple, it does come across as being quite cold and a little transparent, especially with the lasting power being so weak. Like Robin said on the Now Smell This blog, "if you’re after impressive sillage or lasting power, you’re bound to be disappointed".

Give it a chance and it may grow on you, however it won't impress straight away. Iris is not something you'll dislike, because it is extremely pleasant and predominantly floral and Spring-like, however for those, like me, that seek something unique and mind-blowing, Donna Karan's Iris is just not the one to blow you away.

23 March, 2012