Antaeus Sport (1985)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseChanel
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus Sport

Antaeus Sport is a masculine fragrance by Chanel. The scent was launched in 1985

Antaeus Sport fragrance notes

Reviews of Antaeus Sport

I absolutely love Antaeus, especially vintage Antaeus (pre-2000's). Antaeus Sport Cologne, to my nose, is almost identical to Antaeus. Released in 1985, 4 years following the release of Antaeus, it seems that this flanker didn't succeed as Chanel had hoped and was discontinued after only a few years. It came in both splash and spray bottles.

I concur with other reviewers that this is not as "pronounced" as the 1981 original, though the notes seem nearly identical. There are no new notes or accords that I can detect - certainly none that jump out at me. The dry-down is where I really pick up the difference. It is very sweet and borderline cloying - a sandalwood/vanilla combo, though I can't say it's vanilla I'm smelling... just sweetness that isn't there in the original. Sometimes it's hard to discern in vintages if natural aging (or degradation) of ingredients is the primary reason behind the change in smell.

Though I still keep a bottle of Antaeus Sport Cologne and have had several bottles of it in my collection over time, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the Sport Cologne or pay much more than I would for vintage Antaeus. A Chanel collector should certainly wish to acquire a bottle for the sake of its rarity, but sometimes I forget that I still have a bottle of this in my wardrobe!

Antaeus Sport won't disappoint, but if you already know and love Antaeus I don't think this flanker will really provide a radically different experience than vintage Antaeus until the dry-down. If one wants to observe such a vast departure from the original, seek out reformulated/modern Antaeus and contrast it to the vintages. If you're a total Antaeus fanatic it is worth trying Sport Cologne. It's almost guaranteed you will enjoy it.
10th January, 2019
Mesmerizing Antaeus flanker. This sport version is a little softer, especially in the opening. I think I may like it even more than the original release, but it's not as strong or complex. It's a slightly toned down version that's a little easier to pull off, at least soon after spraying.

It seems to add a touch of sweetness in place of the mossy bite of the original. Maybe it was discontinued in part for being too similar to the original, but for me it's a nice complement to the original to have in the rotation.
27th December, 2015

A true relative of Antaeus… I love it, but I’m not at all sure it’s a sport fragrance. I mean… Castoreum and leather in a sports fragrance? …Takes a lot of believing!

Antaeus Sport joins the ranks of the best masculine fragrances I’ve experienced. It is a less dense version of the classic, vintage Antaeus (not the present Antaeus, which is a shadow of its former self). Antaeus Sport makes vintage Antaeus more wearable and a little bit cleaner without removing the quality and panache of the original… yet it retains the vintage Antaeus’s sophisticated sillage and lasting longevity. I didn’t think it possible but I like this one better than the vintage Antaeus.

A big thank you to the generosity of the lover of power scents / former Basenoter who provided me with this excellent experience of sampling of Antaeus Sport Cologne, and I’m treasuring every drop of it. Two thumbs way, way up!
17th February, 2015
Probably looked better on paper than what was actually produced. This was one heck of a job to pull off being that Anteus is such a dark and mysterious fragrance. Ultimately didn't work but is a nice edition to my collection.
06th May, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
Medal worthy sports flanker

A crisp citrus-bergamot-mint opening is soon softened by a jasmine note. In the drydown a very nice rose appears, whose sweetness is dampened by a white pepper counterpoint; then a delightful raisinous nose gives it added depth and character. A beautiful gentle patchouli emerges in the base, not harsh or sharp. For the last couple of hours it is oakmoss, however, that dominates the scene, again a softened and very much a milder version of the usually harsh chypre note. It is as if Jacques Polge wanted to demonstrate that these otherwise harsh ingredients can be softened in the right hands. As sports flanker this is smoother, gentler and more restrained that the original. Silage and projection are very good, as is the longevity of over six hours. One of the very few sports version that I prefer to the original.

15th August, 2013
Simply put, a lighter, smoother version of the wonderful Antaeus. Less herbal and more woodsy with a different sandalwood note. Also of note, towards the end, Antaeus Sport smells a lot like Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez's styrax.
02nd January, 2012

Chanel Antaeus Sport EDT 100ml 3.3oz

End Date: Sunday Mar-10-2019 14:10:16 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $205.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

RAREST CHANEL ANTAEUS POUR HOMME SPORT COLOGNE SPRAY 3.4 oz 100ml - Almost FULL!

End Date: Saturday Mar-23-2019 6:41:22 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $180.00

RAREST CHANEL ANTAEUS SPORT 3.3oz/ 100ml used

End Date: Saturday Mar-23-2019 12:02:04 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $249.00

Member images of Antaeus Sport

There are no member images of Antaeus Sport yet. Why not be the first?