Aventus (2010)

About Aventus

Aventus is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 2010

Aventus fragrance notes

Reviews of Aventus

I was curious about Aventus because I wondered if it was possible to evaluate the fragrance without pre-scorn or bias, and if indeed I liked it, would I be able to say so? Alternately, if I disliked it or was lukewarm, could I say that too without having to tone down my words?

I dislike Aventus on principle – the hype, the crude jokes, etc. But the fragrance itself is pretty nice.

The opening is immediately appealing – a fresh, fruity note identifiable as pineapple but not tropical in any way. I am able to identify the style as the Creed house style, which comes across as watery, green, fresh, and sparkling in a slightly metallic but pleasant way. I think that many of the Creed Royal Exclusives such as Aventus and Spice and Wood play with the trope of fresh fruit (apple, pineapple) joined to a light, clean cedary base. It is crisp, aqueous, and pleasant to wear.

The base is smoky in a lightly-charred-woods kind of way, owing to a restrained hand with birch tar and cedar or oak wood. It smells slightly synthetic, but in a way that seems deliberate and therefore forms part of the fragrance’s charm, as in CdG Black.

As it dries down even further, it becomes sharper and more generic, with a “male aftershave”-y character. I could see my brothers wearing this. It’s clean and inoffensively masculine, so I can see why this would be a popular, safe choice for the office.

Pineapple over birch tar – it doesn’t sound like much, does it? However, Aventus manages to come across as more than a sum of its parts. Like Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT or L’Instant, the fragrance might seem nothing special when you pick it apart or smell it on a paper strip. But when you spray it and wear it over the course of a day, it forms a sort of force field of attractiveness around you that cannot be explained away by the notes. You smell great and other people think you smell great too.

It's pretty soulless and generic-smelling. But it does its job of making a man seem clean, fresh, and ready to mate with.

26th September, 2016
This is a hard review as I believe with all the batch variations it's hard to give an accurate representation but it opens fruity (pineapple) and for me with some wood, goes into a musky light apple fragrance, stupidly good projection and longevity to boot, I am struggling as to whether it goes to a thumbs up or neutral review, I will put thumbs up for now though.

Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 9/10
Sillage: 9/10

Overall: 8.66
04th September, 2016
Being number 2 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

As usual with Creeds, I was dubious about trying this. A first reaction might be: pineapple? really? But then I have no objection to smelling like coffee, cocoa, aniseed, and any number of other comestibles.

There is perhaps less going on up top than the note pyramid suggests; either that, or the pineapple blocks the rest out. The descriptions of "smoky pineapple" and similar are pretty much spot on, as fairly early on the pineapple is joined by a smokiness that is comprised of, I suppose, the birch, patchouli, and base notes as cited above.

And... it's not half bad. I get on with it. The FWF family approves, which is important. Most of all, it smells rather better than it sounds. It's almost like a cologne type fragrance given the Andy Warhol treatment, the same patterns and figures, just a completely left-field palette. It does not, as I suspected it might, smell like I had spilt a can of Lilt* over myself. It's way more sophisticated than that. Not sure I would buy in a hurry (q.v.: Himalaya), but I would get use out of Aventus were someone to buy it for me. Thumbs up for boldness and blend.

* UK name for a pineapple and grapefruit carbonated beverage.
30th August, 2016
Great scent but not my favourite. I believe it is overhyped.
10th August, 2016
I'm curious if anyone picks up on a similarity to Raid : Ant Killer - pine forest fresh scent
09th August, 2016
Above all, Aventus is versatile. It's so fresh and zesty, that a scorching summer's day is its perfect accompaniment. Come evening time, spray on some more (your nose gets used to it really fast otherwise) and marvel at how the ever-so-slightly smoky drydown is just what the doctor ordered. Freezing winter? Of course, spray it on! It smells great! A true signature gem. I have a clone produced locally, which I usually layer with my 10ml decant of Aventus batch 11Z01 on my pulse points. The clone actually projects more, but after the drydown it becomes sickly and cloying, whereas the real stuff is simply sublime.

Five+ stars
20th July, 2016

Add your review of Aventus

Shop for Aventus products online

Shop for Aventus at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Aventus