Calamity J (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseJuliette Has a Gun
PerfumerRomano Ricci

About Calamity J

Calamity J is a shared / unisex perfume by Juliette Has a Gun. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Romano Ricci

Calamity J fragrance notes

Reviews of Calamity J

Nothing complex or cutting edge about this fragrance.
It's basically Not a Perfume with Iso E Super explosion + sweet amber, tonka bean, patchouli, cinnamon and more animalistic synthetic notes (musk, civet and castoreum).
On my skin, the iris note is not as strong as I would like.
I don't see this perfume as a chic, cool rock star, or a tomboy fragrance, but I do find it comfortable, somehow comforting and pleasing... like a nice soft blanket or an old overworn t- shirt/ pair of jeans.
It reminds me of cinnamon cookies at moments.
A perfect book & tea time pal and a "go to" fragrance when enjoying some peace and quiet.
It's more complex than pure Not A Perfume cetalox, but still very unoffensive and light.
Sillage and longevity both seem medium (soft toward the end), but cetalox and Iso E Super linger on my skin for hours and hours. (Even longer on hair and clothes).
However, I guess the nose gets used to them after few hours and can't register them anymore, yet they still surprise me after I think the perfume is completely gone.
I like combining it with Kuumba Made Amber Paste (it makes amber more prominent).
The more you wear it, the more you become sensitive to its notes (because you know what to look for and they became familiar).
I wish this calamity would be more of a calamity, but I like it a lot.
In the words of The Civil Wars: "Oh I don't love you but I always will."
25th February, 2017
A somewhat mediocre fragrance unfortunately. Juliette Has A Gun Calamity J smells rubbery and resinous. Supremely synthetic (Iso E super, ambroxan, galaxolide, linalool, eugenol) but never cloying, destructured but banally pleasant. The note of frankincense is literally creamy-rubbery, ambery and seasoned (like seasoned woods). The note of patchouli takes part to game but never becoming heady or distinguished. The scent seems something between By Kilian Incense Oud and Shalimar but with an its own (faint) individuality provided by smooth synthetic iris plus suede which gives me a touch of that (far more modern chic and refined) Dior Homme intense Parfum's vibe (with nuances conjuring me vaguely D600 Carner Barcelona too). The dry down is darker and finally barely more complex with several interesting nuances and a "twist" of prickliness. I find out in this phase an unexpected sort of metalling-citric more fluidy undertone with hints of saltiness.
25th October, 2014
The opening of Calamity J is modestly pleasant, not particularly deep or interesting but nice: iris, suede, amber, vanilla, a few cocoa beans, with a light floral breeze and perhaps a discreet woody undertone, which may be a vetiver note given a certain amount of salinity on the very base (which may be however simply due to the massive ratio of synthetics used here). Sweet but not sweetish, soft and cozy, effortlessly mellow and elegant. Desperately shallow and artificial though, but classy enough for a suburban dinner out. Like alfarom correctly notes, all this (which is not anyway particularly amazing) kind of vanishes and collapses sooner than expected, and you remain with a really basic and light amber-vanilla accord, clean and pale, nice but a bit boring after a while. In my opinion, a bright idea followed by a clumsy and poor execution.

17th August, 2014
To my nose Calamity J is a nice mix of amber, patchouli, a bit of iris and vanilla, with a nice musk note that's not very animalic/dirty.

It's sweeter than Citizen Queen and also less metallic. Also Calamity J doesnt have the huge aldehydes.

It's very well balanced and unisex in my opinion.

Great scent that's suitable for all year.

26th March, 2013
I am no fan of ambery scents, as well as patchouli-amber combination, this one pens up with nice earthy iris note, its simple triology, warm, woody, earthy , no flolars, makes it great unisex, but not my cup of tea, it turns sweeter and sweeter, and makes me a bit sick
24th March, 2013
Elzéard Show all reviews
An excellent introduction into patchouli orientated fragrances, with the note never dominating but certainly acting as the soul. The easiest patchouli I have even worn.
24th August, 2012

Add your review of Calamity J

Shop for Calamity J products online

Search Amazon for Calamity J

Member images of Calamity J

There are no member images of Calamity J yet. Why not be the first?