Not a Perfume (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseJuliette Has a Gun
SupplierFirmenich

About Not a Perfume

Not a Perfume is a shared / unisex perfume by Juliette Has a Gun. The scent was launched in 2010

Not a Perfume fragrance notes

Reviews of Not a Perfume

I’m glad I tried “Not A Perfume” because now I know which molecule is to blame for very, very many of my bad reactions to perfumes. It feels like a small victory knowing this, even though few perfumes list it in their pyramid.

“Not A Perfume” consists only of Cetalox and ethanol, which is in the same family as Ambroxan. Zealot Crusader below did a good job in his review explaining the ins and outs of ambroxides. I can add that I react distinctly different to this one with Cetalox, than “Molecule 02” with Ambroxan.

Cetalox smells on my skin like a sort of harsh abrasive “fresh” note, one I’ve smelled a lot in men’s fresh fragrances. One that stands out for me was ‘Aventus for Women’, where this note ruined the fragrance for me. It’s used a lot in detergents, apparently because of its clean, crisp quality. On me it is beyond crisp, more in the ozonic category, quite unpleasant.

Being able to piece this together was helpful, but as a fragrance...yeah, whatever.
21st August, 2019 (last edited: 02nd September, 2019)
This is indeed not a perfume. Perhaps the height of industry cynicism or just a hilarious placebo experiment, Not a Perfume (2010) is extremely useful to any serious perfumista or colognoisseur for one reason: this is one of several references for ambroxide, the oft-used base aromachemical for modern designer perfumes since its popularization in the same year this was launched. Almost an omen is the release of Not a Perfume, showing off the synthetic ambergris tone Francis Kurkdijan used in the previous year's Lady Vengeance (2009) all by itself, and its importance is in allowing those who often malign the "ambroxan overdose" purported to be in every major designer release to actually familiarize and recognize a variant of the note on its own. Cetalox is of course just one patented variant of ambroxide produced by Firmenich that isn't a single molecule like IFF's Ambroxan, and may differ from Mane's Orcanox, and Givaudan's Ambrofix.

Escentric Molecules did this same trick with ambroxan on Molecule 02 (2008), which is a purer representation that offers an even wider range of reactions from smelling nothing to being overwhelmed hours after application, but the point still gets across. This opens as almost nothing too, since the nose doesn't readily detect something this chemically-pure even if it isn't a single molecule like actual ambroxan, because this is meant to enhance a perfume rather than be it alone. However, within five to ten minutes, the familiar warm, slightly earthy, tad salty, and ambery vibe signature to an accurate reproduction of ambergris appears. This doesn't have the depth and complexity of real ambergris because let's be honest, the impurities found in a naturally-sourced ingredient are exactly what gives it depth, and this is just a pure single chemical in wearable dilution.
What Not a Perfume does also varies greatly upon skin chemistry, since it will literally enhance what is there already much like any chemical base note, just not as wildly as Molecule 02.

The clincher here of course is the price, since you're effectively paying full retail price for an entry-level niche brand (over $130USD at time of review) for something you can buy in pure form for much less just because it is diluted and presented as a perfume, hence the cynicism. On the plus side, you can use this as a base for a traditional eau de cologne like 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792) if you don't mind an ambergris base, but you could also just muck around with industry aromachemicals for cheaper so it comes down to price for convenience of a pre-mix, like with alcoholic cocktails. My recommendation is just to sample Not a Perfume for an ambroxide reference, then use it to determine if the cause for your much-loathed modern designer accord is really ambroxan or something else like norlimbanol. Educational, but not really wearable, Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume is exactly that. Solid neutral for me because I appreciate the edification if not the absurdity of the presentation.
03rd June, 2019
How sad that this smelled like literally nothing on me. I may as well have sprinkled a few drops of tap water on my wrists and neck. A big disappointment after all the positive reviews I've seen.
20th February, 2019
Excuse me, but if I go to dinner and spend that much, I want my steak seasoned with something more than salt. They want how much for ONE note? I can go to my local new age shop and pick up a small bottle of multi-note perfume oil for fifteen bucks, and I think I will. Thank all that's holy it's only a sample

It starts out like nothing. At first, you wonder if you put on enough. Then the scent brightens and you get that first hit of fragrance.

And then that first burst lasts forever. And ever. Nothing happens. While it's busy lasting forever, it's doing double duty by getting boring. Finally, annoying, and you can't escape it.

Imagine you meet a nice couple that seems great at first, but when you finally invite them to a barbeque with your other friends, everyone starts off getting along, but the couple starts talking about their fascinating jobs of typewriter maintenance and organizing floor varnish. Next, they get raging drunk, make a scene, and you can't get rid of them fast enough.

I admit I'm no fan of "simplicity" or "minimalism". However, I expect a little more "magic" from a fragrance. Especially for that much money.

It reminded me of old, soured Chanel No. 5 and CK1 after a little while

14th October, 2018
In the words of Yoda...This good thing Cetalox smells.

Simply good. And I do mean simple. 7.5/10
25th July, 2018
This is science. And it agrees with my chemistry.

I thought Molecule 02 was the best scent for me, but this is heavenly. My new signature fragrance. It has everything I've ever wanted from a perfume... EVERYTHING.

I seriously don't understand all the negatives...??! I guess it's all about skin chem, well, this thing rock my world.

22nd June, 2018

JULIETTE HAS A GUN NOT A PERFUME EDP 50 ml/1.7 oz NEW 2016 BOX

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 8:10:37 PST
Buy It Now for only: $65.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Juliette Has A Gun Not A Perfume Women 3.3 3.4 oz 100 ml Eau De Parfum Spray Nib

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 10:51:25 PST
Buy It Now for only: $74.95

JULIETTE HAS A GUN NOT A PERFUME 3.3 FL oz / 100 ML Eau De Parfum Spray Sealed

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 11:39:15 PST
Buy It Now for only: $96.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

juliette has a gun not a perfume travel size spray

$7.00 (1 Bid)
End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 12:28:09 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Juliette Has A Gun Sunny Side Up EDP Spray 100ml Women's Perfume

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 12:37:28 PST
Buy It Now for only: $126.64

Member images of Not a Perfume

There are no member images of Not a Perfume yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Not a Perfume