Opus III (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseAmouage
PerfumerKarine Vinchon-Spehner

About Opus III

Opus III is a shared / unisex perfume by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Karine Vinchon-Spehner

Reviews of Opus III

Sweet, powdery feminine leaning scent with all the florals, oriental floral spicy (a la clove) scent; violet-centric, yummy benzoin and vanilla in base, reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor’s White Diamonds.

Would rather smell this on a lady than wear it myself!
14th August, 2018
Opus III is a good perfume if you look at the bottle but you skip the Amouage logo. This liquid has nothing to do with oriental luxury scents.

It is floral and complex but not very versatile.
31st May, 2018
I completely agree with Jack Hunter's review, this is stereotypical old lady perfume. I will say that it's exceedingly well blended and you can tell the ingredients are of high quality. I think this leans feminine, possibly unisex but only in the dry down. The opening is a massive blast of powdery violet, white florals, and aldehydes. I also detected a hint of urine in the opening but it dissipated quickly enough. After that it's all incense. Dusty, woody, spicy, floral, powdery, honey, ambery, musky, vanilla incense. Phew! I'm sure a more bold, self assured person than myself could pull this off fabulously, but it's just too loud and vintage for me. Oddly enough my cat just loves the smell of this fragrance but my cat also loves the smell of dirty gym clothes.
21st January, 2017 (last edited: 22nd January, 2017)
Stardate 20160915:

Modern take on spicy oriental floral. Nicely blended and sublime. After ClaireV and Darvant I have nothing to add except this is good but not $300 good.

15th September, 2016
One day, I was coming out of the Book Centre and he was coming out – both of us with our respective friends, and both of us in our Catholic school uniforms. As we passed each other, our eyes met, and I swear to God, we both turned full circle to take a good long look at each other.

I had never before done anything so brazen in my life. We both walked backwards to keep staring at each other as our respective groups pulled apart, and if a movie crew had been there to catch the moment, it would have gone down in history as the most romantic moment in my shabby little life. I was 16.

Back at our respective schools after lunch – boys and girls attend separate schools in Ireland – we both busied ourselves with the business of asking around. Who is this person? What do we know of their people? Their pedigree?

The intelligence on him came quickly back – nobody to bother about. I had a certain amount of capital to expend, being reasonably attractive, popular, and brainy, whereas he was an unknown quantity, and certainly not popular.

Didn’t matter – I had to have him. It also didn't matter that it ended badly, two years down the line. I will never forget the romance of that moment. The first and only time I've ever fallen in love on the spot.

Amouage Opus III gives me a similar feeling. I don’t know how it happened, but there’s been a coup de foudre. Our eyes met and I did a full twirl on my heels. So I now send out feelers into the community – is this a worthy one? The early reports are not encouraging. Nice, they say, but save your money. You can do better.

If I were to distill a whole Internet’s worth of reviews of Opus III into two phrases, it would be “overly complex” and “nothing special or notice worthy.” I don’t argue those points – in many ways, Opus III is both overly complex and not at all groundbreaking or original. But – and it’s a big but – it has a lilting, slow-moving beauty to it that spins my heart off like a leaf on an eddy. It’s like being at a crazy party and discovering at the last minute that it’s really the big, silent farmer in the corner that you want to go home with. Opus III has a solid heft that makes me want to curl up inside it.

Reducing it to a category, I’d say that Opus III is a massive violet floriental. But as others have pointed out, the combination of notes is so complex that it’s hard to pick out individual notes. The best I can do is point to the various phases that the fragrance moves through, managed through a series of small, barely perceptible shifts and transitions.

Violet is the moving force here and is present in each permutation. First, we have the violet-hay-earth opening, where the bitter, dirt-covered hay of broom is balanced out by a wet, candied violet accord that comes off like Apres L’Ondee on steroids.

Welling up behind this dewy, bittersweet opening is a bank of mimosa flowers with their fluffy yellow, bitter almond scent. When the mimosa meets the violet, the fragrance shifts from wet hay-violets to a dusty pollen note that makes one think of the yellow dust that covers your fingers when you crumple a buttercup or some other cheerful yellow wildflower.

There is also a dusty heliotrope note here that makes me think of Farnesiana or L’Heure Bleue, but this lacks almost completely the fruity and pastry-like tones of those fragrances. There is a similar weight here, though, like a piece of blue velvet folded over many times.

A tiny accord is hidden here and I catch glimpses of it only sometimes – a dove-grey iris note that colludes with the violets to produce a faint (very faint!) cosmetic undertone. Not exactly lipstick, not exactly powder, but something a little bit frilly.

Under the earth-hay violets and the meadow-pollen violets and the iris-violets, there is another violet combination brewing, and it turns out to be the definitive one – violets and ylang. Ylang introduces a fruity, plasticky edge with a banana-like note to the mix, and when it merges with the violet note, its creamy banana custard voluptuousness becomes corrupted with a strange boot polish note. Could be tar, could be nail polish remover like some reviews mention – I don’t know. But it is a little strange, and more than a little addicting. It’s what draws me back to my sample time and time again, like a druggie.

The spicy orange blossom and jasmine are secondary players here, but they too form their own little pairing with the violets, and add a slight indolic languor to the violets’ dewy, childlike presentation.

Opus III winds up in familiar Amouage territory – a daub of frankincense, dry woods, amber – and while the base is not wildly new or exciting, what it does do is provide a dry, un-sweet landing for the rich floral combinations swirling around the violets. The base is what makes Opus III perfectly unisex, and takes it further away from the two fragrances to which Opus III is most commonly compared, namely L’Heure Bleue and Insolence EDP, which are far more obviously feminine.

Having mentioned the Guerlains, I must mention that I find Opus III to be far more satisfying than either of those fragrances, and more beautiful. I love the rich, earthy hay of the broom, the yellow pollen feel from the mimosa, and the unctuous creamy ylang. It combines – to my nose – the best of L’Heure Bleue, Samsara, and Insolence, and cuts away the fat and the excess fruitiness of those scents.

Opus III smells wholly natural and of this earth – and although it lasts a long time, is longevity is due to a certain richness and heft of fragrance oils rather than muscular woody synthetics. It wears on the skin like a rich, comfortable old velvet cloak.

I rather love it – can you tell? This fragrance moves me. But like any coup de foudre, I’m suspicious of the strength of my feelings. Practically everyone notes that Opus III is not an unusual or extraordinary fragrance in any way. Does that mean that my tastes are pedestrian? Am I a bit of a pleb? Well, probably, and more than just a bit. I can’t quite bring myself to care, though. I want to wear this, and so by God I will.

Hey Opus III! Yeah, you, the hefty farmer with the big red face in the corner! Get your coat – you’ve pulled! Let’s hope this doesn’t end too badly. My judgment in these matters is famously terrible.
01st March, 2016

Complexity is the primary characteristic I find in Opus III. The opening is aldehydic, green, neutral, warm, and spicy. It lasts well and provides a fine sillage. My difficulty with it is that it’s not very interesting… But it is complex – I could easily get lost in its maze.

The heart is floral. The only note that I can clearly pick out is violet, the rest of the floral notes are lost on me, which for me makes the heart accord not very interesting. The base is a neutral / wood / sweet platform with the aldehydic violet still fliting about. Again, complex but dull.

I don’t know what happened to Amouage with these Opus fragrances – they seem entirely out of character from Amouage’s usual offerings.
07th February, 2016

Opus III | Amouage | AMG | 100 mL

End Date: Sunday Feb-24-2019 4:29:36 PST
Buy It Now for only: $447.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Amouage Library Collection Sample Set Lot 2mL/0.07oZ ea Opus ii iii iV V 2 3 4 5

$24.99 (0 Bids)

Amouage The Library Collection Opus III Eau de Parfum Unisex 100 ml U47841 CA

End Date: Friday Mar-1-2019 10:51:06 PST
Buy It Now for only: $192.79
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Opus III by Amouage Eau De Parfum Spray 3.4 oz / 100 ml (Women)

End Date: Saturday Mar-2-2019 1:14:03 PST

NEW Amouage Library Opus III EDP Spray 3.4oz Mens Men's Perfume

End Date: Saturday Mar-2-2019 21:45:44 PST
Buy It Now for only: $266.96
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Amouage 'Opus III' Eau De Parfum New In Box (Original Formula)

End Date: Sunday Mar-3-2019 13:14:42 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.99

NEW Amouage Library Opus III EDP Spray 1.7oz Mens Men's Perfume

End Date: Sunday Mar-3-2019 14:26:52 PST
Buy It Now for only: $134.42

Member images of Opus III

There are no member images of Opus III yet. Why not be the first?