Sartorial (2010)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Sartorial

Penhaligon's say "A fragrance for a new generation of gentlemen, inspired by the scents of the workroom at Norton & Sons, bespoke Tailors of Savile Row"

Reviews of Sartorial

Starts off with a sweet and citrus twist on the mature, old-school, classic male scent. Very good projection lasts 3-4 hours. The drydown is sweet and musky with that old-school feel still coming through.

I’m not a big old-school fragrance guy but this is pretty enjoyable.

Longevity is good, lasts through the work day.
27th January, 2018
Swanky Show all reviews
Many mainstream fragrances with this structure fall apart, leaving a very cheap and thin vanilla or amber the last man standing. Penhaligon shows some quality here by avoiding the devolution into the bakery-goods sweetness of many pretenders.

I found a very good deal on a small bottle of Sartorial, and I'm glad to add it to my collection, although, frankly, I don't find it near as complex as the notes listing would promise. It does start out with a Brut-like lavender, wood and vanilla dryness, but ultimately it diverges from Brut (I don't get the barbershop powder in Sartorial that is central to Brut's structure) with what I assume is the beeswax filling the center channel.
12th January, 2018
One of my new favorites. In a world of unisex fragrances Sartorial stands out as purely man. It has a very old fashioned smell about it but in a sophisticated way. I get the comparisons to Brut but in a much more luxurious format. What I love about Sartorial is that it is what it is. It doesn't try to be something it's not. Classic alpha man in a well tailored suit comes to mind when I smell Sartorial.
29th July, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
This one I cannot stand. I might not be the biggest fan of the fougeres but I can totally respect and see the beauty in old classics. I can't agree on any quality on this. I get metal, lavender and oakmoss from this sharp scent. I felt off the whole day I wore it and kept hoping no one would smell me.

I was open minded when I got a sample since it has been so praised, but for me - a scrubber.
28th July, 2017
Pure class in a bottle, old school but nice. Spicy and what a man should smell like. Can imagine a solicitor or Barrister wearing this. There is a lot of notes going off but it's so well blended I can't detect them individually. Perfect masculine spicy frag with honey and wood deep into the dry down. 10/10
28th July, 2017
Sartorial is a conventional fougere with a twist: there are some added metallic and sweet notes. It starts off smelling very similar to the iconic Brut, only being a bit more complex and an added depth. There is a metallic element in the heart, and after about 2-3 hours a semi-sweet, honeyed beeswax note creeps in to give it more substance. However, the final dry down becomes a little too sparse for my tastes - especially given what comes before. Sillage is appreciable at first before calming down, and overall it lasts about 6 hours on skin.

I'm a fan of fougeres, but I like them more green and astringent. While Sartorial is a very respectable fragrance, eventually it's somewhat limiting for me. It pushes the fougere in directions that don't quite sit right with me. As a result it's hard for me to pick it ahead of many including Brut, Azzaro, Tsar, Jazz, Nobile, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Invasion Barbare and Fougere Royale. This is simply a personal preference, and the rating is reflective of that.

Therefore, even though I'm neutral, I recommend this to anyone seeking a modern gentlemanly fragrance within the fougere family.

12th February, 2017