Sartorial (2010)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Sartorial

Penhaligon's say "A fragrance for a new generation of gentlemen, inspired by the scents of the workroom at Norton & Sons, bespoke Tailors of Savile Row"

Reviews of Sartorial

One of my new favorites. In a world of unisex fragrances Sartorial stands out as purely man. It has a very old fashioned smell about it but in a sophisticated way. I get the comparisons to Brut but in a much more luxurious format. What I love about Sartorial is that it is what it is. It doesn't try to be something it's not. Classic alpha man in a well tailored suit comes to mind when I smell Sartorial.
29th July, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
This one I cannot stand. I might not be the biggest fan of the fougeres but I can totally respect and see the beauty in old classics. I can't agree on any quality on this. I get metal, lavender and oakmoss from this sharp scent. I felt off the whole day I wore it and kept hoping no one would smell me.

I was open minded when I got a sample since it has been so praised, but for me - a scrubber.
28th July, 2017
Pure class in a bottle, old school but nice. Spicy and what a man should smell like. Can imagine a solicitor or Barrister wearing this. There is a lot of notes going off but it's so well blended I can't detect them individually. Perfect masculine spicy frag with honey and wood deep into the dry down. 10/10
28th July, 2017
Sartorial is a conventional fougere with a twist: there are some added metallic and sweet notes. It starts off smelling very similar to the iconic Brut, only being a bit more complex and an added depth. There is a metallic element in the heart, and after about 2-3 hours a semi-sweet, honeyed beeswax note creeps in to give it more substance. However, the final dry down becomes a little too sparse for my tastes - especially given what comes before. Sillage is appreciable at first before calming down, and overall it lasts about 6 hours on skin.

I'm a fan of fougeres, but I like them more green and astringent. While Sartorial is a very respectable fragrance, eventually it's somewhat limiting for me. It pushes the fougere in directions that don't quite sit right with me. As a result it's hard for me to pick it ahead of many including Brut, Azzaro, Tsar, Jazz, Nobile, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Invasion Barbare and Fougere Royale. This is simply a personal preference, and the rating is reflective of that.

Therefore, even though I'm neutral, I recommend this to anyone seeking a modern gentlemanly fragrance within the fougere family.

12th February, 2017
Sartorial has an old school vibe. I've seen the comparisons to Brut and I can understand where some might think that. I remember trying my brother's bottle of Brut many, many years ago. It wasn't too bad, but Sartorial is much better. Brut may have a few similar notes, but it isn't nearly as dense as Sartorial. Brut is much more transparent in smell and complexity. Sartorial is almost like a solid fragrance. Smelling Sartorial is sort of like the moment when you put your nose close to the tin that holds the block of fragrance and you can feel the weight of it while your smelling the fragrance. Sartorial is very sweet, but it feels like a clean, natural sweetness. This is a fragrance that works well whether wearing a suit and tie, or jeans and t-shirt. Very versatile, and just very enjoyable.
13th December, 2016
A worthy fragrance at last from the house that seems to me to enjoy developing "subtle" gentlemanly scents. While by no means a sillage powerhouse, Sartorial does break the Englishman boundaries a little. It's an excellent, and somewhat complex take on a traditional lavender over oakmoss, but there's an interesting supporting cast of wood, spice and green elements. Very clean smell, without a soap or chemical imbalance.

I like where the designer went here, and would wear this in cool weather, as it's sophisticated enough for formal attire and clean enough to be office safe. Looking for a sample and would likely purchase a bottle. Thumbs up.
09th September, 2016