Sartorial (2010)

PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Sartorial

Penhaligon's say "A fragrance for a new generation of gentlemen, inspired by the scents of the workroom at Norton & Sons, bespoke Tailors of Savile Row"

Reviews of Sartorial

Sartorial is a conventional fougere with a twist: there are some added metallic and sweet notes. It starts off smelling very similar to the iconic Brut, only being a bit more complex and an added depth. There is a metallic element in the heart, and after about 2-3 hours a semi-sweet, honeyed beeswax note creeps in to give it more substance. However, the final dry down becomes a little too sparse for my tastes - especially given what comes before. Sillage is appreciable at first before calming down, and overall it lasts about 6 hours on skin.

I'm a fan of fougeres, but I like them more green and astringent. While Sartorial is a very respectable fragrance, eventually it's somewhat limiting for me. It pushes the fougere in directions that don't quite sit right with me. As a result it's hard for me to pick it ahead of many including Brut, Azzaro, Tsar, Jazz, Nobile, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Invasion Barbare and Fougere Royale. This is simply a personal preference, and the rating is reflective of that.

Therefore, even though I'm neutral, I recommend this to anyone seeking a modern gentlemanly fragrance within the fougere family.

12th February, 2017
Sartorial has an old school vibe. I've seen the comparisons to Brut and I can understand where some might think that. I remember trying my brother's bottle of Brut many, many years ago. It wasn't too bad, but Sartorial is much better. Brut may have a few similar notes, but it isn't nearly as dense as Sartorial. Brut is much more transparent in smell and complexity. Sartorial is almost like a solid fragrance. Smelling Sartorial is sort of like the moment when you put your nose close to the tin that holds the block of fragrance and you can feel the weight of it while your smelling the fragrance. Sartorial is very sweet, but it feels like a clean, natural sweetness. This is a fragrance that works well whether wearing a suit and tie, or jeans and t-shirt. Very versatile, and just very enjoyable.
13th December, 2016
A worthy fragrance at last from the house that seems to me to enjoy developing "subtle" gentlemanly scents. While by no means a sillage powerhouse, Sartorial does break the Englishman boundaries a little. It's an excellent, and somewhat complex take on a traditional lavender over oakmoss, but there's an interesting supporting cast of wood, spice and green elements. Very clean smell, without a soap or chemical imbalance.

I like where the designer went here, and would wear this in cool weather, as it's sophisticated enough for formal attire and clean enough to be office safe. Looking for a sample and would likely purchase a bottle. Thumbs up.
09th September, 2016
Initial smellings reference Brut (or is it Old Spice?) quite closely. There is nothing shy and retiring about Sartorial, and it comes across as a choice for a man who doesn't mind invading space with his scent.

After some hours of development, though, the beeswax and honey come to the fore, and hold the floor thereafter. The result is something stronger but much more subtle than the opening would suggest, with enough variation and development in the accords to keep your nose coming back for more.

I have no experience of working with tailors but it seems to me that the marketing does cohere nicely with the form of the scent. Worth trying.
18th May, 2016
This is straight forward gentlemans scent in the English tradition. It smells well made and is easy to wear. I get neroli, cardamom, lavender, leather and some oakmoss. I would say it lasts about 5 to 6 hours on myself with little projection. It would be great on weekends or to the office for sure. For the price (online $65 to $70) and quality it's great. Enjoy!
23rd April, 2016 (last edited: 26th May, 2016)
I will say up front that fougere is not my favorite scent family. With that out of the way, there are components of this I enjoy. The woody notes are nice and do give off the intended Savile Row tailor shop note.

But I find the scent too sweet and cloying with a pronounced vanilla note for this to really work for me. It also is a very penetrating and potent scent.

Lastly, this reminds me of a scent I used to wear in high school and while I can't remember which it was, it makes this smell kind of imitational and low-rent.

Just not for me.