Memoir Man (2010)

Memoir Man is a men's fragrance by Amouage. The scent was launched in 2010

Shop for Memoir Man products online

$242.56*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 145.00)

Reviews of Memoir Man

Showing 1 to 6 of 45 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Memoir Man opens on a wonderfully crisp, camphoraceous, green aromatic accord, with basil and bitter-astringent artemisia leading the charge. A big, big frankincense note rolls up after a few minutes’ wear, and then holds court over the composition for the next hour or so. Among the more recent Amouage releases, only Jubilation XXV matches Memoir Man in its emphasis on frankincense. But where Jubilation XXV sets frankincense against a rich, dense oriental backdrop of spices, resins, and dried fruit, Memoir remains spare, stark, and dry. Indeed, in a line characterized by opulent and heady olfactory textures, Memoir Man stands out as particularly austere.

While it may be severe, Memoir Man is not an opaque or heavy scent. Indeed, by house standards, it’s downright transparent. I find that Memoir Man wears quite close to the skin, and while I wouldn’t call it feeble, I’d have a hard time over-applying it. So long as the frankincense holds sway and the echoes of the opening aromatics linger, I enjoy Memoir Man as a serious, sophisticated – even cerebral – incense composition. It’s when the frankincense recedes and the last remnants of basil and artemisia fade that my affection starts to waver.

If the oakmoss, leather, and tobacco base notes in the pyramid have you anticipating a bold, 1970’s throwback drydown experience, you’ll have to look elsewhere – Epic Man, to be precise. Memoir Man’s drydown is very powdery, with an emphasis on soft woods, clean musk, and a not-too-sweet vanillic amber. The oakmoss is applied with a very light hand, and the leather doesn’t register with me at all. The tobacco is as dry and brittle as the rest of the scent: more discarded cigarette butt than Cuban cigar. The musk employed in Memoir Man flirts dangerously with fabric softener, which is a shame, as it grows progressively dominant over the scent’s final hours. Memoir Man is one of the in fact one of the few Amouage scents I can recall whose base notes smell more suggestive of aromachemicals than anything occurring in nature. The nifty top notes and well-rendered frankincense heart make me want to like this more than I do, but with each wearing ends in an unsatisfying anticlimax.

19 June, 2014

nogame's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Absent an interesting drink. Basil and daisy-like plant is very pleasant. Serge Lutens and Amouage elements terrific analogy. I can feel very clear, even mint. This is not as cold as in mint gum, dried mint flavor consistency.
          When it comes to middle notes of incense, and I see a dominant oak moss. Vetiver is also already being felt. I think there's also a sage.
          When we come to the end of last stayed in the dusty smell like patchouli. Used very little and light of tobacco and vanilla. Odor does not work wonders but good quality.

Notes:
    Top: Absenthe drink, basil, tarragon plants (Asteraceae), Mint.
    Heart: lavender, rose, incense.
    Base: amber, oak moss, wood Gaiac, Leather, Musk, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla, Vetiver.

23 April, 2014

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar

Now I was in two minds to put this a neutral due to the price of this. Let me start by saying this is a very nice smelling fragrance but nothing like I have read, I heard it is dark, mysterious, brooding, complex. I could not disagree more this is very light, not really mysterious or brooding and quite linear smelling. This to me smells like fresh cut grass or the sap of privit leaves. It is very fresh but does not really go anywhere, it does not last as long as everyone says and does not project all that well either, Now maybe this is my skin it could just be the case but I am not sure as my girlfriend tried it and had the same result. The price for me is a killer that I paid so much, now I would buy this as the smell is really fresh and a different kind of fresh to the usual fresh frags out there, but is it really worth the price....short answer NO! If you are looking for dark mysterious scents try ENCRE NOIRE, SALVADOR DALI POUR HOMME, NORNE. a few others but for that description do not get this. I decided I would give a thumbs up review as the fragrance did not tell me it was all these things and maybe that was just a big disappointment to me that it was none of what I expected, I think I may have liked it much better having not really heard much about it, although I still think the price is just mental!

27 March, 2014

steve0580's avatar

In the opening, the immediate two notes I smell are smoke and incense but it's not so much as church incense as it is a bright incense. The woods in the fragrance are more background players than at the forefront. It also has a note that I'm having a hard time placing and it could very well be the absynth, since that's listed as the central note. Quite honestly, I don't know what absynth smells like on its' own, so it's hard for me to say. When it dries down, the bright incense takes over as the dominant note.

This was on my want list for quite some time and admittedly, when I first sampled it, I wasn't terribly impressed but later, I went back and tried it again. It was like a drug and I was hooked.

This is easily a 10/10 in my book.

02 March, 2014

Deep, dry, resinous, dark, and mysterious bearing… With a pyramid’s listing of top-quality frankincense, leather, tobacco, absinthe, wormwood, and guaiac wood, it’s no wonder that Memoir Man is so impressive. This is the kind of fragrance I dream about… and wish for… and it truly delivers all I want of darkness, depth, and viscerally fulfilling resinousness. For a while, that is.

It is probably impossible to keep a brilliant, dramatic show like this going for more than twenty – thirty minutes. The resinousness is too-soon lost, leaving an almost-compelling dry, non-aromatic wood / incense scent that itself all-too-soon becomes an attractive skin scent. The skin scent aspect lasts into tomorrow.

Highest-quality components, wonderful, linear, but fast-fading, Amouage’s Memoir Man is nearly a religious experience …one that is, alas, too short lived as a sillage producer even though it is a great, great skin scent.

01st March, 2014

Jridgen's avatar

Memoir Man opens very green with a tenacious mint and wormwood presence that is equal parts herbal, alcoholic (absinthe) and outdoorsy. The woods, tobacco and incense come more to the forefront as the scent progresses through the middle and the wormwood and mint die down.

The fragrance lingers for some 8-10 hours and slowly moves closer to the skin. Lacking the oud, heavy smoke and dried fruit found in other Amouage fragrances I believe this is one of the easiest to wear in the lineup. That being said it retains an incredible amount of complexity, depth and note progression throughout the wearing.

It is entertaining, dark and mysterious - the best in the line.

24 February, 2014

• Time Left: 20 days
    Amouage Memoir Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml/3.4oz
    • Time Left: 5 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)
    Amouage Memoir Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml