Memoir Man (2010)

Memoir Man Fragrance Notes

Shop for Memoir Man products online

$242.56*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 145.00)

Reviews of Memoir Man

Showing 1 to 6 of 43 reviews.

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar
    Highpriestofdarkness

Now I was in two minds to put this a neutral due to the price of this. Let me start by saying this is a very nice smelling fragrance but nothing like I have read, I heard it is dark, mysterious, brooding, complex. I could not disagree more this is very light, not really mysterious or brooding and quite linear smelling. This to me smells like fresh cut grass or the sap of privit leaves. It is very fresh but does not really go anywhere, it does not last as long as everyone says and does not project all that well either, Now maybe this is my skin it could just be the case but I am not sure as my girlfriend tried it and had the same result. The price for me is a killer that I paid so much, now I would buy this as the smell is really fresh and a different kind of fresh to the usual fresh frags out there, but is it really worth the price....short answer NO! If you are looking for dark mysterious scents try ENCRE NOIRE, SALVADOR DALI POUR HOMME, NORNE. a few others but for that description do not get this. I decided I would give a thumbs up review as the fragrance did not tell me it was all these things and maybe that was just a big disappointment to me that it was none of what I expected, I think I may have liked it much better having not really heard much about it, although I still think the price is just mental!

27 March, 2014

steve0580's avatar
    steve0580

In the opening, the immediate two notes I smell are smoke and incense but it's not so much as church incense as it is a bright incense. The woods in the fragrance are more background players than at the forefront. It also has a note that I'm having a hard time placing and it could very well be the absynth, since that's listed as the central note. Quite honestly, I don't know what absynth smells like on its' own, so it's hard for me to say. When it dries down, the bright incense takes over as the dominant note.

This was on my want list for quite some time and admittedly, when I first sampled it, I wasn't terribly impressed but later, I went back and tried it again. It was like a drug and I was hooked.

This is easily a 10/10 in my book.

02 March, 2014

foetidus

Deep, dry, resinous, dark, and mysterious bearing… With a pyramid’s listing of top-quality frankincense, leather, tobacco, absinthe, wormwood, and guaiac wood, it’s no wonder that Memoir Man is so impressive. This is the kind of fragrance I dream about… and wish for… and it truly delivers all I want of darkness, depth, and viscerally fulfilling resinousness. For a while, that is.

It is probably impossible to keep a brilliant, dramatic show like this going for more than twenty – thirty minutes. The resinousness is too-soon lost, leaving an almost-compelling dry, non-aromatic wood / incense scent that itself all-too-soon becomes an attractive skin scent. The skin scent aspect lasts into tomorrow.

Highest-quality components, wonderful, linear, but fast-fading, Amouage’s Memoir Man is nearly a religious experience …one that is, alas, too short lived as a sillage producer even though it is a great, great skin scent.

01st March, 2014

Jridgen's avatar
    Jridgen

Memoir Man opens very green with a tenacious mint and wormwood presence that is equal parts herbal, alcoholic (absinthe) and outdoorsy. The woods, tobacco and incense come more to the forefront as the scent progresses through the middle and the wormwood and mint die down.

The fragrance lingers for some 8-10 hours and slowly moves closer to the skin. Lacking the oud, heavy smoke and dried fruit found in other Amouage fragrances I believe this is one of the easiest to wear in the lineup. That being said it retains an incredible amount of complexity, depth and note progression throughout the wearing.

It is entertaining, dark and mysterious - the best in the line.

24 February, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Green, poisonous ivy embracing an Edwardian abandoned mansion. Gorgeous pungent leafy dark fragrance. Another gem from Amouage!

13 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

zatarain's avatar
    zatarain

The opening is an aggressive green angular mixture of absinth, wormwood (aren’t these two the same thing?), basil and mint, a combination I found somewhat discordant. As with the thyme in Tom Ford’s Tuscan Leather, I felt the basil would have been best left in the kitchen spice rack. However, this clamorous opening did not last long before a very smooth frankincense and something else, which I guess is the combination of rose and lavender arrived to settle things down and impart a soothing, warm impression.

The fragrance soon settled into a spicy warm woody incense with the greens in a supporting role, undeniably attractive.

The base notes, which appear to be everything comforting, warm and masculine round it all out and despite superficially resembling many other fragrances’ drydown phases, this maintains a beautiful, well-balanced and distinctive character, though I am again struck by a certain resemblance to Tuscan Leather, though this is a more complex and sophisticated inclusion of cooking spice (basil) with leather.

In summary: a beautiful, well-blended and ultimately unique expression with a startling green herbal opening.

05 January, 2014