Hasu-no-Hana (1888)

Year of Launch1888

HouseGrossmith
SupplierRobertet

About Hasu-no-Hana

Hasu-no-Hana is a shared / unisex perfume by Grossmith. The scent was launched in 1888

Reviews of Hasu-no-Hana

There's a lot going on here, and all of it is painstakingly old-fashioned.

It kicks off with fusty lavender and bergamot, but mixed with that weird faux-castoreum gasoline note made famous by Knize Ten. There's a full pantry of spices as well, with sage and clove and leafy greens the most prominent. Then there's also a full amber base that's concentrated enough to be prominent from the start.

Over the course of the day, I smell different combinations of these ideas. Sometimes, it's chypre-ish, while other times it smells like an amber perfume. Other times, the spices come forward and it basically smells like a bay rhum.

All in all, I like Hasu-No-Hana. It's expertly put together, clearly with deep love and respect for its original formulation. But what I like the most about really old scents is the way they threaten to fly off the rails. Knize Ten is a careful step away from complete utter insanity. And Kolnisch Junchten is even closer, while perfumes like Jicky or SMN's Spanish Leather actually are completely nuts. Compared to these inspirations, Hasu-No-Hana seems a bit toned down, almost castrated or disinfected. I'm still giving it a thumbs up, but I wish it were a little wilder.
01st December, 2016
Old world, imperial luxury. How this can be considered a chypre is however beyond me - as a chypre lover I would be hugely disappointed if I encountered this excpecting a floral chypre. A soft, smooth oriental, with the balsamic basenotes present throughout, it is reminiscent of Shalimar. The woody drydown is almost smoky, with a dusty feel. Although it is meant to be unisex, to my mind it is rather masculine - like a freshly washed, clean shaven male cheak ready for a kiss.
02nd June, 2014 (last edited: 04th June, 2014)
No doubt, it is masterfully done. I can see why some people rave about it. If a fragrance has a color, Hasu No Hana would be golden honey. It is actually smooth and not sharp at all. I expected some sharpness from its being described as a chypre. I know honey is not listed as a note, but I can't help thinking it is exactly honey that I smell. The cedar and vetiver are well blended, barely perceptible although the cedar comes across better in the beginning. Of all the flowers, I feel the jasmine the best.

This composition evokes long-gone opulence. I can imagine Marie Antoinette wearing it while she is taking a stroll in her favorite, private garden of Trianon. I realize that perfumery during her time was quite different, of course. Despite its luxurious, rich texture, Hasu No Hana feels surprisingly modern.
16th April, 2014
There's something of the iris-bergamot-woody-amber base of Shalimar here but it's paired to a chyprey structure which is very traditionally executed. The fragrance feels incredibly luxurious and opulent but has an overall "artisanal" vibe to it that makes me think about certain "all-natural" brands. Smells great if one's into powdery oriental fragrances but it lacks a tad of animalics that usually make these kind of fragrances grand. I like it but. In the end, considering the price, I'll stick to vintage Shalimar Parfum.

01st November, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
Delicate beauty

The top notes with their bigarrade-style orange and rose are a delight, with a tradtional ylang-ylang-and-jasmine leading into a drydown that sees iris added. Later on wood notes with a bit of moss and vanilla give it a richer base note impression. Very well made, but on my skin it has very limited silage and projection, and is gone after three hours. Les rich and vivid that the other classic Grossmiths on my skin.

23rd October, 2013
A chypre-y oriental

04th July, 2013

Add your review of Hasu-no-Hana

Shop for Hasu-no-Hana products online

Search Amazon for Hasu-no-Hana

Member images of Hasu-no-Hana

There are no member images of Hasu-no-Hana yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Hasu-no-Hana (1888)