Shem-el-Nessim (1906)

Year of Launch1906

HouseGrossmith
SupplierRobertet

About Shem-el-Nessim

Shem-el-Nessim is a shared / unisex perfume by Grossmith. The scent was launched in 1906

Reviews of Shem-el-Nessim

This is the fraternal twin to L'Heure Bleue. Evidently, the original Shem came first, along with L'Origan (if this matters). Regardless, they are all very closely related in form and style, and if you love one, you will probably be interested in taking her sisters for a waltz or two around the Edwardian ballroom, as well. The Grossmith is a slightly more airy and herbal take on L'Heure, and I find its additional geranium notes rather lovely. It is not as heavy and sweet as the Guerlain, substituting a sophisticated, almost stellar radiance for L'Heure's velvety marshmallow warmth. Roja Dove and Luca Turin both love Shem-el-Nessim (if you care), and I do, too, although I would wish for an increase in its projection and lasting power, especially at this particular price point.
15th September, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
Floral-to-vanilla complexity

A beautiful neroli-bergamot freshness combines with delightful geranium-jasmine floral additions in this traditional but very well blended opening. In the drydown a nice rose and ylang-ylang merge into a base of white musk, patchouli and a nice cedar-vanilla base. There is colourful development on my skin over time, with high-quality components and good silage and projection. I get about five hours of longevity. In all is classicity this is delicious, especuially on a nice spring day.

23rd October, 2013
There’s no denying that this and L’Heure Bleue spring from the same gene pool – they both have the same melancholy sweet subtlety born of the heliotrope-sandal notes that are their foundation. This is great for reveries, introspective days when its quiet sophistication will prompt the mind to slip away to an ever-so-tempting elsewhere. One of those scents that play with time, stretching the mental experience of it to a lovely stasis. Lovely twinkly, powdery fadeout.
23rd July, 2012
I'm rubbish at detailed reviews, but this reminds me of L'Heure Bleue, minus a heavy play-doh note I didn't like in LB, and with amped up florals. Great stuff and full bottle worthy (oh if I could afford it all, I would!)
22nd November, 2011
redrose Show all reviews
Absolute gorgeousness, seduction in a bottle. The opening florals envelope you with soft luxury, and I felt as though I were stepping into the most beautifully scented bath I could possibly imagine. The sultan's favourite, being prepared and anointed before being led into the boudoir! And as the scent unfolded, the cedar, sandalwood and soft musks support the rose and iris without overpowering them. Many other floral and oriental notes are in there, too: it would take numerous wearings to be able to name them all, if it were even possible. And I'm not sure I'd want to. Shem el Nessim is all just too romantic and dreamy and perfect for me to wish to analyze it too much. I leave that to the scientists. I'll just let myself be carried along in its spell.
I agree with Grossmith that it embodies the spirit of the Edwardian era, when feminity was celebrated. I can't really see this as unisex, although if any men are brave enough to wear it, they'll get plenty of attention.
For me, its longevity varies. I first tried in summer, when the dry air combined with my own pale, dry skin to evaporate this beautiful perfume after only three hours. Now, though, it's autumn, and the air is more humid, and almost six hours after dabbing it on it's still strong.
The final drydown is so similar to the original, much-lamented L'Heure Bleue that they could almost be mistaken for each other. There is nothing sharp or modern here, and if you're strictly a 21st century, minimalist perfumista, you probably won't go for Shem el Nessim. But if you love the unabashed fullness and richness of classic and vintage perfumes, do give this a try.
I love it and would buy a FB today if only it were not so expensive. But ... luxury and authenticity don't come cheap, and with Christmas not too far away, I'll be leaving strong hints for Santa.
13th November, 2011
I'll make it short... I find this disappointing. It is strongly hinting at L'Heure Bleue, but does not in the least manage to create a similar magic. I am not convinced by the iris note here either leaving a stale undertone on my skin. Get L'Heure Bleue instead!
09th July, 2011

Add your review of Shem-el-Nessim

Shop for Shem-el-Nessim products online

Search Amazon for Shem-el-Nessim

Member images of Shem-el-Nessim

There are no member images of Shem-el-Nessim yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Shem-el-Nessim (1906)