Spice and Wood (2010)
    by Creed

Spice and Wood Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Spice and Wood

Showing 1 to 6 of 22 reviews.

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Ahh...Spice and Wood by Creed. Fairly nice fragrance with all the notes I should love. However, this is EXPENSIVE and just doesn't deliver for its' price point. Opens with a hard liquor smell of whiskey, gin, or any cheap hard liquor from the "bottom shelf" really. This does subside a little after 15 minutes and an apple/iris quality comes through. This presents as musty in my opinion because of that lingering sour alcohol. I find an all too fleeting clove note in the middle that seems to overpower the rest of the notes and almost presents as pure clove oil rather than cologne. Lasts 5-6 hours before breaking down to a musty, watery generic wood fragrance. Overall, it is disappointing. I admit my opinion is influenced by the price. If i'm paying premium prices, I want flawless. This isn't it.

11th March, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Is this Creed's response to Tom ford's Bois Marocain?
    If it is, than Creed did a great job, it improved on Bois Marocain by creating a more wearable, more sophisticated and a lot smoother fragrance than Tom Ford's.
    Specially in the opening, Bois Marocain is piercing sharp, to the point of been somewhat annoying with its strong pencil shavings note, while Spice and Wood is smooth as silk.
    The heart and drydown are very similar but I would prefer S&W over BM anytime.
    Both are blatant copies of the brilliant J. Casanova EdT that unfortunately was discontinued, but neither reach the greatness of J. Casanova, although for those lamenting the disappearance of that beauty can replace it with either S&W or BM.
    BM is more outdoorsy and young, while S&W is more intimate and mature. Sillage of BM is nuclear while S&W is closer to the skin, but still pretty decent. Both of them last for hours.

02 February, 2014

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Spice, Wood and Overpriced...

Spice and Wood opens with an alcoholic gin-like blast before quickly adding a slightly tart apple and natural lemon tandem. As the fragrance enters the early heart the apple is just detectable as the stronger lemon remains, now joining peppery angelica and deep slightly sweet clove in support of an emerging cedar and birch starring tandem. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down the lemon finally is replaced by relatively clean musk that now joins the still dominant remaining cedar from the base as the fragrance's linear development finally comes to a conclusion. Projection is average and longevity above average at 8-10 hours on skin.

There is plenty of fine smelling cedar to be had, and the clove spice adds some depth with the angelica imitating pepper quite well but the real pleasant surprise is the natural smelling supporting lemon that hangs around well into the heart accord. The lemon is the only thing that distinguishes the composition from being just another woody composition that has been done about as well a hundred times over. That said, the whole composition just screams "me too," just done with better materials than most others in the genre. The bottom line is Spice and Wood certainly delivers on the promised notes and does smell relatively good, but one can't help being more than a bit disappointed in its mundane results, earning a "good" rating of 3 stars out of 5 for the fragrance, but a strong avoid at its ridiculously lofty $225 per 30ml bottle price tag.

Pros: Delivers what it promisses and adds a gorgeous supporting lemon note to the accord.
    Cons: Relatively benign and completely overpriced.

16 September, 2013 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2013)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Soft spice

The nice top notes on me are apple dominated, with a peppery incense and clove giving is a spicier note. Later in the drydown a nice patchouli and soft musk appears. Nice and pleasant for warmer autumn days. Projection all right, longevity three hours.

14 September, 2013

Justin Case's avatar
    Justin Case

The strong pepper opening almost drove me away from this fragrance, but S&W grew on me until I decided to buy it. Here is why:

- Almost nothing synthetic about it to my nose. Very natural.
    - I pick the cedar note strongly in the first 3-4 hours, making me feel like I'm hiking in the woods. Also generates a feeling of being strong.
    - Excellent longevity on my skin.

That said, to me something makes this scent particularly heavy and energy-demanding. I cannot wear this every day or even every few days. Some fragrances make you feel handsome, but this one makes me feel like I'm carrying a handsome person on my shoulders. Wearing it makes me want to sit down and reflect on philosophical things. It is quite classy and says only good things about the wearer in a sophisticated way, but to me it is not refreshing, not uplifting, and not for after showering. This is something I'd wear when I'm trying to tell people that there is a lot more to me than meets the eye.

07 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2013)

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

If someone wanted to precision craft a scent that I would like by surgically joining elements I enjoy from some of my favorites, there's a good chance it would end up a lot like Spice And Wood. It's got the cherry cough syrup over wood that I love in Filles En Anguilles leading to the sweet green mix of spices and fruit from X For Men, and then it opens up into a peppery iris reminiscent of 28 La Pausa. Throughout all this, it maintains a pleasant smell of peppery wood, just slightly fruity sweet from that apple note, before ending up with a really disappointing "woody amber" base that kind of smells like rubbing alcohol, the only cheap-smelling misstep in an otherwise very pleasant perfume.

As much as I've enjoyed Spice And Wood, it has a strange concentration. There's a sharp chemical blast in the beginning that feels like it's turning off part of my nose, leaving Spice And Wood more enjoyable in its sillage than on skin, where it smells fairly weak. Aventus did this same thing to me, so I think it's a Creed thing. All that being said, this is not very strong. There's a certain luxury concentration at which a scent is rich without being loud (think Green Irish Tweed) that I expect from a really expensive scent, and Spice And Wood is nowhere near that. Yes, the sillage is decent, but it always feels quite thin. But it still deserves a thumbs up, because I really have enjoyed it.

12 November, 2012