Wonderwood (2010)

Year of Launch2010

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerAntoine Lie

About Wonderwood

Wonderwood is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2010 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Reviews of Wonderwood

This one is so comfortable it’s the tracksuit bottom of woody fragrances; therein its main virtue (so supple, easy and everyday) and its main drawback (too easy and everyday).
Wonderwood is a peppery cedar with a high clear frankincense that wears light and fresh despite the evident spicing. Many CdG perfumes take an approach with natural notes that is akin to airbrushing – the note is recognizable but it is lifted and smoothed and buffed to the point that somehow takes it out of nature.
I have a soft spot for woody perfumes, but this one left me wanting due to its uberpolished execution; which perhaps also explains the reviews that go, ‘I don’t normally like woody perfumes, but this one did it for me’. The whole is brought together with finesse, it just fails to excite me. A shame as the name is so evocative and enticing.
Oud is mentioned in the notes list but is so apologetic it seems hardly worth mentioning.
15th January, 2015
Was not fussed with this pretty generic wood scent. Decent longevity and sillage but playing it safe. Very deep and rich scent but not as beguiling and complex as CdG 2 MAN.
02nd June, 2014
This is a wonderful fragrance.
The opening of this fragrance is a smoky and woody smell mixed with vetiver note.
It's a very natural and beautiful combo.
This opening remind me of "Lalique Encre Noir" in many ways.
While "Ecre Noir" is a very quality fragrance, this one is even better! the quality is very good.
In the dry down the smoky aroma settled down and now you can smell a very light and natural woody scent with slightly sweetness and smokiness in the background. some spicy notes trying to show their faces but they are completely in the background.
The woodsy note is mostly sandalwood.
The cedar and oud notes are much weaker and you can barely smell them.
Longevity is OK but projection isn't that great!
A great natural and quality fragrance.
There is nothing so unique and special about it but because of great quality and also woods which are my favorite note in fragrances, it's a thumbs up for me.
27th February, 2014
I have seen the rave reviews about this one and was fortunate enough to try it recently. This is a fragrance that should not be judged by its opening but left to dry down completely and be tried out from head to toe.
The opening is quite strange. I can't pinpoint every note there, but I definitely get the pepper and some 'saw dust' note that reminds me of another well known scent. I didn't like the opening very much as something was a bit harsh for me. But I definitely did a double take once this started to dry down!! Wooded harmony with soft, gentle sandalwood and no doubt vetiver and perhaps oakmoss. A true indication of what a 'fragrance pyramid' is, I sincerely recommend this.
Definitely a masculine scent, but good enough for the office or a night out.
09th January, 2014
Wonderwood shares some strong similarities with Ikon by Zirh, Fever by Celine, Gucci Pour Homme, and Dirty English, all of which I own already so it seems redundant to have but it's just superbly blended and these scents just plain work on my arid skin. The comparisons to Encre Noire are true as well, but it doesn't sting my nose in the initial stage the way Noire does. The price tag is a bit much compared to the aforementioned, but if cedar, smoke, and spice is your thing, either Wonderwood or Gucci will certainly scratch your itch.
25th December, 2013
Is cedar the Wonderwood?

Excellent pepper note dominates the opening accord… and already there’s a smoky, incensey, wood background to the opening pepper and somewhat recessive bergamot. Dominant among the wood is cedar, but there are hints of oudh and sandalwood in the recesses. I would have preferred a stronger oudh and sandalwood and not so much cedar, but I guess cedar is cheaper. The pyramid lists caraway and vetiver, but they escape me… apparently they are overwhelmed by the potent cedarwood, as am I. After the opening, Wonderwood continues as a deep, rich, resinous no-holds-barred wood scent, accented with spices and incense, that has good projection and longevity. Nice, but much safer than CdG usually plays their cards.

As a sucker for this kind of wood scent, I approve of its strongly resinous notes, and I do enjoy "cedar" but it seems to be a primary and inevitable element in oh-so-many wood fragrances that have come out in recent years… Enough, already with the cedar – it simply doesn’t have to be the dominant wood in every wood fragrance costing less than $200. So what am I saying? I guess I’m saying that, of course I enjoy Wonderwood; but there are several of designer and niche scents that are based on about the same concept and are as good as or better.

Pros: Deep, resinous, wood scent, dominated by cedar (of course).
Cons: Wish the guaiac and sandalwood would be better represented."

24th September, 2013

Add your review of Wonderwood

Shop for Wonderwood products online

Shop for Wonderwood at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Wonderwood