Vanilla & Anise (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseJo Malone London
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Vanilla & Anise

Vanilla & Anise is a shared / unisex perfume by Jo Malone London. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Vanilla & Anise

Fragrance triangle for Vanilla & Anise:
Top = Sicilian bergamot, Tunisian neroli, wild fennel, star anise;
Heart = tuberose, violet, vanilla, orchid, jasmine, frangipani, cloves;
Base = ambergris, vetiver, Bourbon vanilla absolute, tonka.

Jo Malone's Vanilla & Anise definitely has dominant star anise and vanilla notes in this very busy formulation. Fresh fennel is also present, giving its toasty spicy-sweet touch. Tuberose, with its creamy fleshy quality, does cut through the mix to soften things up. Tonka accents thing with its inherent vanilla-like flavor.

Sillage is decent. Longevity, ok. A great scent for either gender, with the fennel being the polarizing element, IMO, on whether one likes V&A or not.
10th October, 2018
This is complex for such a fresh and young fragrance. It's comforting and my go to right when the leaves start to change colour before the fall. I find JM tends to stay on the simpler side of things. I like this because it is simple, and I have retired it for the same reason.

For me, the anise is the star (get it? haha!), smoothed out by the vanilla with a little hint of something floral and spicy? It lasts a long time, and I can't tell much difference between the open and the dry down.

I layer with Blue Agave when spring is around the corner.
02nd October, 2015
The actual notes in this fragrance gives it a much more complicated picture than I had initially thought. And perhaps the simple title made me think these were the only two notes in this – but vanilla and anise are basically the notes I get.

Anise is very recognizable (kind of like juniper is to me), and it just seems to overpower many of the other notes. I mean, bergamot doesn’t stand a chance against anise, and I don’t get bergamot in this. I get an uncomfortable anise smell to start off. This lasts for awhile, eventually dies down a bit, and then I get some vanilla and light anise. It just doesn’t sound as complex as the note listing makes it appear.

So, that’s about it. It smells good after a couple of hours, but the fragrance itself doesn’t last much more than that. So, I probably wouldn’t purchase this myself, but someone else may want to give this a shot.

The notes I saw listed on another site are:
Bergamot, Fennel, Neroli, Star Anise
Clove, Jasmine, Frangipani, Orchid, Tuberose
Vetiver, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Amber
20th December, 2012
rbaker Show all reviews
Vanilla and Anise - that's it from start to finish. Young, clean, and even for a scent designed for layering very very straight. Not bad, but not one of Esteé Lauder's finest. Mind you, in heat the longevity is a very good five hours.
29th November, 2012
Like many of Jo Malone's fragrances, they're easy to describe. What your going to get is a nice vanilla and anise fragrance that smells great for the first 10 minutes. Very linear with very little projection and 2 hour longevity. If you can live with it's shortcomings Vanilla and Anise might be worth a try.
24th July, 2012
I gave this 4 stars because I think it is a great Unisex fragrance. I got a sample of this and several others from the Jo Malone representative at Bloomingdales.

This is just not for me because it is way too powdery and I dislike powder. It's so Estee Lauder.

I think it is a great man's fragrance. I also tried this layered with Jo Malone Grapefruit as recommended by the sales rep at Bloomies. Combined it is a terrific scent for a man. Both of these now belong to my husband and as much as I didn't like it on myself I love it on him either alone or in combination with the Grapefruit.
27th February, 2012

Add your review of Vanilla & Anise

Shop for Vanilla & Anise products online

Jo Malone perfume 3 samples Vanilla and Anise

$17.99 (0 Bids)
End Date: Tuesday Feb-19-2019 19:13:18 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Member images of Vanilla & Anise

There are no member images of Vanilla & Anise yet. Why not be the first?