Juniper Sling (2011)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 32 ratings

Juniper Sling Fragrance Notes

Juniper Sling information

Juniper Sling is a unisex fragrance by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 2011

Shop for Juniper Sling products online

Reviews of Juniper Sling

Showing 1 to 6 of 15 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Juniper Sling opens with a woody accord comprising vetiver and cedar (Iso E), plus juniper berries, a subtle note of cloves, a dusty base of patchouli, amber and perhaps cocoa beans, with a light animalic/musky note which I can not distinguish clearly but however gives a "carnal" and dark allure to the composition – there may be leather too. A decent, unusual take on a classic chypre, more spicy and less flowery, also less animalic/leathery, but with the same camphor feel, at the same time with a masculine, austere barbershop breeze. As minutes pass it also emerges better a rooty-powdery-soapy side of orris roots, and also the leather note arises more prominently, on a balmy-earthy base. Overall I'd say it's a "not that bad" scent, a nice rooty-spicy-earthy composition with a couple of less-usual accords (juniper), but overall it's also a bit artificial and pale. In other words, a missed opportunity.

5,5-6/10

23 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

The London dry gin idea – juniper berries and citrus rind – appeals to me in its simplicity. My high hopes for the re-release of Lubin’s Gin Fizz collapsed when its juniper and citrus accord turned out to be tantalizingly ephemeral, and I’m sad to report that Penhaligon’s entry in the gin-and-tonic style suffers the same liability. I get five minutes of astringent juniper berry and citrus refreshment, then nothing but a very pale, clean soapy musk skin scent. The only juniper berry scent I recall having any lasting power is Creed’s Baie de Genièvre, but the Creed is a much darker, heaveier composition than Gin Fizz or Juniper Sling, and manages to endure on the skin by substituting a spicy vetiver base note for the effervescent citrus accord that lends the Lubin and Penhaligon’s their short-lived buoyancy.

I’m still waiting for my perfect Tanqueray No. 10 cologne…

19 June, 2014

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I like this one's spring cool refreshing effect with the greatly adapted gin-fizz juniper note but the enjoying is quite short. Very, very short lived one to call even a fragrance. Would never buy but happily finish up if gifted.

25 March, 2013

Darvant's avatar

The way of the modernity is full of obstacles. This fragrance is basically a vetiver, note initially spicy, woody, watery and aromatic but finally banalized by a conventional woody/ambery sweet accord. At the beginning i catch nothing than dust, i mean sweet prickly spices (cinnamon, cardamom, may be nutmeg) and pepper. In a while a classic citrusy and aromatic vibe (juniper) starts enveloping the spices with a prominent orangy (airy) undertone. At this point the vetiver hangs out aqueous and aromatic, half Encre Noir and half Drakkar Noir. In this phase i find the juice more than pleasant, balanced and aromatic-resinous. Unfortunately the smell becomes with the time more and more sugary and fruity with some floral patterns. I detect the cherries and the sugary-spicy (i think to smell cinnamon) accord with a touch of balsams (benzoin?). Going on with the development a sort of woody ambery (dusty ambergris) chord reinforces the structure and restrains the taste. The dry down is conventional and ambery, masculine but a bit too common and really impenetrable. A (still, afterall) classic kind of juice with a decent temperament.

24 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2013)

dpark's avatar

England England

Having known Penhaligons for over 20 years it is such a pity it now feels it needs to go down the commercial route.

Juniper Sling is such a good idea but the execution is a complete let down. The opening top note invites interest but the very swift dry down reveals a very mainstream, floral heart which, again lasts for such a short time, also far too sweet for masculine use. The base notes are far too tenacious lasting hours and proving difficult to lose.

10th May, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

I like Juniper Sling a lot. When I first applied my sample, I was met with the aromatic and very dry beefeater-like gin and tonic quality that others have remarked about. That persisted for maybe an hour. Later, (while I was on the metro rail) I noticed something sweet in the air. Since a lady had just sat next to me, I first assumed it was her. But when I concentrated on the application to my arm, I realized it was me. I looked up the notes on my cell phone and sure enough, I saw that Juniper Sling had black cherry and brown sugar notes. I must say, I like this part a lot, possibly even more than the bright gin opening, which I also liked very much. It transformed into a spicy, sweet and slightly leathery drydown. From start to finish Juniper Sling projects a classic pre-prohibition era cocktail quality to it (which was the explicit theme for this perfume's creation). I actually didn't have a problem with longevity (without holding my nose to my arm I caught a smell of it here and there on me as long as 7 hours after application) so much as I had a problem with projection. The projection with the sample was indeed well below average and left me dissatisfied.

Despite this problem I bought a full bottle, largely on the merit of the cherry and gin cocktail heart and drydown (although like I said I enjoyed the brisk opening as well). I think the complaints below about longevity and projection are possibly a result of only using small samples. I won't deny that I apply Juniper Sling HEAVILY when I choose to wear it, but I manage to get a reasonable amount of projection afterwards, as much as the average millesime Creed at least. So perhaps bear this in mind if this issue has left you undecided about getting a full bottle.

17 April, 2012

Add your review of Juniper Sling

Search for on eBay United States

Penhaligon's Juniper Sling Eau de Toilette (50ml) (1.7 fl. oz.)
    • Listing Type: eBay Store