Leather Oud (2010)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Leather Oud

François Demachy:

Oud wood exudes aromas of Leather when it is burned. It is an astonishing, very animal-like scent... Oud inspired me to make it the focus of an intense, woody Leather fragrance. A very masculine fragrance bursting with character.

Leather Oud fragrance notes

Reviews of Leather Oud

I feel it is a semi-pleasant scent. Definitely leathery. Masculine. 3 hours in, I felt it was pleasant. My wife said it smelled nice. I really like it at this point. It is very potent. A couple sprays probably would do it. 5 hours in my wife says it stinks. I don't know what that means. Stinks or smells nice. 12 hours in I feel my first bit of fecality appear. Kinda smells a bit like a dirty hamster cage. Not super dirty, like rotten. Just like one that needs to be changed soonish. Reapplied the scent. I like it again here. Not stinky to me, not floral at all, not sweet. Kinda smells like horse people. Like fairly clean horse people would smell when dressed up a bit. Maybe at like a horse show. I really like this smell, though I'm not a cowboy, and probably can't pull this off too well. I'm not even sure I want to smell this way, but I find it a super interesting smell.
31st January, 2019
Whoah! Leather Oud by Christian Dior smells very, very acquired taste - meaning, you either love it or hate it.

It is bestial, dirty, full of life and crazy sexy! It's not something that everyone can use without trying it out first.

Agarwood (oud) comes across in an earthy, leathery-wood finish. If you look in deeper into Leather Oud, you can make out the support role that the spices and wood have amidst the animalic experience of the scent overall.

NOT for the meek of heart. Try before you buy, for sure!
30th November, 2018
Very very dirty.
If you want to pay this much to smell like a dirty smelly cat, go ahead. Be my guest. Thats exactly what it smells like.
20th November, 2018
This is a tough one.

It's a fragrance that I can appreciate. I can smell the history in it. To smell this is to understand something deep and contextual regarding all fragrance. But I have a tough time wearing it.

Many reviews exclaim this as dirty. Many as masculine.

I don't see this as smelling dirty as much as smelling old. I feel decades older wearing this. I'm in my 30s (for reference).

It also doesn't really push the 'masculine' envelope either. I can definitely tell I'm wearing a unisex fragrance. If anything it opens on the feminine side.

It's called 'Leather Oud'. It neither commits to a deep oud nor a complex leather. If I want oud, I have it better in another fragrance. Likewise for leather.

It performs well. If I liked how it smells that would be a strength.

It's a neat one to have in my collection as a small decant. It helps me understand other fragrances better. But it is more a tool of a collector than it is a signature scent for a man.

Scent: 3/10

Longevity: 9/10

Sillage: 9/10
12th September, 2018
I am not privy to very many "Privé" scents, and am excluded from most "exclusifs" mainly due to prices, which can be comparable to cherished discontinued scents even when new, but through the good fortune and kind hearts that have smiled upon me, I have access to this very vivid piece of perfume art. With that having been said, I'm going to be bluntly honest: this is far from a holy grail that everyone needs in their life, nor is it even appropriate for many occasions, and like most really antique vintages, is so far out of fashion that only hobbyists and lovers of either oud or leather would even dare wear it. Perhaps this "no compromise" nature is why it is part of the Privé Collection, as it's expense coupled with it's limited appeal make it a personal artistic expression from perfumer François Demachy that you can buy, rather than a product expecting a given level of success to exist. Regardless, it's a virile, sweet, potent, and challenging piece of perfumery that may become your personal savior from modern doldrums if your nose never left the 60's chypres, 70's aromatic fougères, or 80's powerhouses.

For starters, this is very masculine despite being a classical unisex perfume, and although daring women can more than execute this well, I have a feeling this is calling fans of sex-dripping masculine-leaning scents from the late Edmond Roudnitska like Moustache Rochas (1949), Eau d'Hermés (1951) or even early YSL masculines like Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme (1971) and Kouros (1981). I exclude most 80's powerhouses from comparison due to moss not being a part of this, save maybe Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) because a similar civet/civetone underwear funk is here despite that note not being listed by Dior. The very simple note breakdown here is almost all wood, with Indonesian oud and a leather note reminiscent of Aramis (1965) minus the aldehydes stealing the show. This baby is in no need of aldehydes, rest assured, as that fat oud/leather top sing a duet during the entire act on their own, with the other woods such as guaiac, sandal, and cedar being the backup band. If François Demachy had truly wanted this more unisex, a small pinch of jasmine may have solved the issue.

This is dirty, oh so very very dirty, but also sweet, with almost a dried honey-like resinous tone that keeps the finish from being like other ouds and burning your nostrils with an acrid fireplace smell. I also notice this oud doesn't get quite so dark as others I've tried, and the agarwood here isn't just tacked onto a burly palette to disguise it's quantity (or quality for that matter), like many more commercial oud-themed flankers. Christian Dior Leather Oud is really exactly that, and it doesn't dress up that raw animal magnetism one bit, giving a fight or flight reaction to those around the wearer. If you're the type who affectionately calls your favorite fragrance "stink juice", this might be your new best friend. As for me, some days I want to smell like Bounce dryer sheets, and I wear an aquatic for those days, but then sometimes I want to smell like the Amsterdam Red Light District in summer, and this takes me there for what is still less than a plane ticket from the US. Use wherever and whenever, this one knows not about being well-behaved anywhere.
21st February, 2018 (last edited: 22nd February, 2018)
I really am lost for words. This is a work of art. It's not just a fragrance. This juice is alive and living. It's so alive that it almost scares the shit out of me. It is VERY strong. It is an acquired taste. It can smell very dirty. Almost the wrong side of dirty.

Why the neutral vote????? As much as I appreciate what Dior have done with this I just can't see an occasion when I would feel the need to pull this one out!!

UPDATE
After much consideration and sampling I have to give this a thumbs downs. It's just too dirty. I just don't want myself or anyone around me smelling like this.
03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 07th November, 2017)

Add your review of Leather Oud

Shop for Leather Oud products online

Christian Dior LEATHER OUD Eau de Parfum Spray 250ml/8.4oz *NEW TST"

End Date: Monday Feb-18-2019 16:18:52 PST

CHRISTIAN DIOR 'LEATHER OUD' 10 ml Glass EDP Spray BEAST 12+hours Amazing 😉

End Date: Friday Feb-22-2019 8:40:15 PST
Buy It Now for only: $26.87
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

CHRISTIAN DIOR LEATHER OUD EAU DE PARFUM SPLASH 0.25 Oz / 7.5 ml NEW MINI IN BOX

End Date: Saturday Feb-23-2019 13:27:47 PST
Buy It Now for only: $39.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Christian Dior Pure Oil By Niche Perfume Oils,Free of Alcohol choose your size 2

Buy It Now for only: $19.99

Buy It Now for only: $39.99

Buy It Now for only: $65.99

Christian Dior Pure Oil By Niche Perfume Oils,Free of Alcohol choose

Buy It Now for only: $9.99

Buy It Now for only: $29.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Christian Dior Leather Oud (EDP)Vintage (2011) Glass Atomizers(2ML-3ML-5ML-10ML)

Buy It Now for only: $12.99

Buy It Now for only: $19.50

Buy It Now for only: $15.00

Buy It Now for only: $12.99

Buy It Now for only: $29.00

Buy It Now for only: $69.99

Member images of Leather Oud

There are no member images of Leather Oud yet. Why not be the first?