Leather Oud (2010)

PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Leather Oud

François Demachy:

Oud wood exudes aromas of Leather when it is burned. It is an astonishing, very animal-like scent... Oud inspired me to make it the focus of an intense, woody Leather fragrance. A very masculine fragrance bursting with character.

Leather Oud fragrance notes

Reviews of Leather Oud

Strong smell of civet. It is a good fragrance to wear once in a while, but I couldn't wear it every day so the huge bottle is too much. Longevity is out of this world and one or two sprays is more than enough for a whole day. It is far better than Tuscan Leather and Noble Leather. I don't agree that the leather part is dirtier than Tuscan Leather though. Currently, it is only available in 125ml at the smallest, you can get it decanted in smaller amounts. 125ml cost £125 in 2012 and now it is £200!
01st April, 2017 (last edited: 05th August, 2017)
One of my all times. Lasts hours and makes me feel grounded and powerful like a sensual panther!
11th March, 2017
Being number 16 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

Applied at first with great caution, and thereafter with growing confidence. This is largely because, having tried it, I quickly came to understand LO as a type of leather scent with "oud" as a supporting character. This is perhaps an observation on the naming of scents, as the convention in English is to have the noun following the adjectives; thus here, one would understand this to be a "leathery oud", rather than what I think it is, which is an oudy leather. (I do get the feeling that the use of ingredients or notes in names is often simply meant to signify that they are present, and less often to signify a type or genre.)

So in this case, I would say something like Or Black would be a better comparison than a Western oud-driven scent. This is just as well for me, as the oud, which I nearly always find to be too cloying and invasive for my tastes, is blended extremely well here and contributes to the dry earthiness of the other accords. I would concur that the later stages of LO tend to the animalistic, but acceptably so and never unpleasant to my nose. It tends to bring out the woody rather than cloying aspects of oud.

Although I cannot say that I would immediately be in the market for LO, it is a genuinely exciting creative achievement in the way that it can be so agreeable and yet so uncompromising. All in all, I would recommend to leather lovers; also, that they should apply with restraint at first, but that it might reward heavier application if you get on with it. Family reactions: taken-aback rather than repulsed. Another win for the blending of the Dior privee lines. Now to try the Floris namesake - perhaps an A/B test would be appropriate?
15th January, 2017
Just received a 7ml mini after having earlier tried a 3ml sample 2 years ago. There definitely has been a reformulation to my nose. The earlier sample was classy but ultimately went too far into barnyard territory. It is thankfully still recognisable as the same gorgeous scent without the strong animalics, probably for the best. It can now come out to a formal setting, transitioning through different facets of oud, from sweet to leathery to charred and woody and back to soft sweetness. I would actually wear this in the morning to work, Cuir Cannage in the evening at home, that's a beautiful day right there.
09th December, 2016
This is a big, deep, dark, spicy beast, and I rather like it! It’s a good bit spicier than what I’m used to wearing, but I’ve really enjoyed the way it has evolved. Straight up I got a big hit of the patchouli, and as the morning progressed, I got just the tiniest touch of sweetness – not sure where that came from, as there’s nothing particularly sweet in this. Maybe it’s the way it reacts with my skin chemistry, but it works. The leather is right there, but it’s a smoky leather – kind of like what you’d expect a big leather Chesterfield would smell like, after it’s spent its life in a classy gentleman’s club, absorbing years and years and years of aftershave and cigar smoke. Underneath that is a very slight rank note, which I’m guessing is the civet, with a dusty wood overtone. It’s one of those scents that smells really good on your clothes – I only put on the tiniest of sprays this morning, and my dress smells fantastic. This is probably not one I would reach for a lot of the time, but I do like the way it smells, and I’ve definitely enjoyed sampling it – (and thanks again purecaramel for the sample!). Lasting power is great - 11 hours and still there, though much closer to the skin now. I’m curious to see how it would work layered with something lighter and less spicy – Eu D’Hermes perhaps? Yes? No?
08th September, 2016
Dior Leather Oud is fantastic. The leather part is a dirtier leather than you'd find in TF Tuscan Leather or ADP Leather. It's definitely not the hyper-clean powdery version found in Dior's Cuir Cannage either.

At first, I thought this was an old-man fragrance. Now I thoroughly enjoy it from start to finish, which is a very long time I should add.

I'd say the only downside is being forced to buy a monstrous bottle. I'm sure a 1oz bottle would be quite affordable, but unfortunately they don't make one.

8/10 due to cost and the old-man style
11th August, 2016

Add your review of Leather Oud

Shop for Leather Oud products online

Search Amazon for Leather Oud

Member images of Leather Oud

There are no member images of Leather Oud yet. Why not be the first?