Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne (1953)
by Alt-Innsbruck

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne information

Year of Launch1953

HouseAlt-Innsbruck
PerfumerFranz Gatterer

About Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne is a masculine fragrance by Alt-Innsbruck. The scent was launched in 1953 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Franz Gatterer

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

With tobacco flower and menthol as the only ingredients, it's surprising how complex and good Alt-Innsbruck smells. The ingredients must be top-rate.

A real classic!
16th May, 2018
As noted by Harvitz81 and ad_scott, the driving force behind this cologne is the flowers of the Nicotiana tabacum plant, not its cured leaves. I experience the menthol in this as a powerful enhancer/dispersant (too powerful for my taste) of the tobacco flower note. It would be interesting to know whether whoever had that idea in 1953 was thinking out of the box or this was a common practice in men's fragrance compounding at the time. I'm wondering whether the tobacco leaf note that folks are picking up may be the dried hay odor of the coumarin (tonka bean isolate) that's listed among the ingredients.
20th June, 2015
Very nostalgic , warm , sweet and soft scent. There is menthol and strong tobacco. Longevity is poor : only 1-2 hour for me. I can smell some similarities with Guerlain Vetiver, maybe it is the soft sweetness and tobacco.
01st June, 2015
As an aftershave cologne combo, this can't be beat. I'm not even sure there's any others in the same category as this. It's really an excellent menthol/alcohol blast aftershave that is akin to Osage Rub, or some other highly mentholated aftershaves out there, it's a BLAST. Absolutely perfect for summer shaves. The scent is kind of powdery floral. Semi-sweet. I really haven't ever smelled anything like it. I hesitate to say this, but there's something that reminds me of my grade school box of school supplies here. Maybe an eraser......I'm not sure....but something is there that reminds me of that. It's a good smell though. Not the greatest and its pretty linear, but that aftershave blast that comes with it makes this easily one of the best options out there. Try it. The entire Wet Shaving community swears by this stuff for a reason.
03rd July, 2014
I guess I’m the first to throw a little negativity on the subject of Alt-Innsbruck – a small bit of negativity. But first, I’ll dive into the subject of whether or not Alt-Innsbruck makes use of tobacco. I have the eau de cologne, not the after shave. Every source I’ve found says that there is tobacco – “the finest Virginia tobacco” – is what all the sources say. I have no doubt of the fact that the tobacco is there, and that’s my problem with the scent. Not the tobacco itself, but the combination of tobacco and menthol. I simply don’t care for the two notes in combination, and I realize how ridiculous it sounds because I, myself have smoked menthol cigarettes at times way back when I smoked. I never minded the combination then… but in this cologne, the combination causes me some problems. The problem I have with Alt-Innsbruck is the menthol. It does not come across to me as aromatically sharp as menthol usually does - the accord comes across as creamy and gooey. I get a menthol that overpowers and conflicts with the excellent tobacco note. Strong sillage and quite lasting, but not a favorite of mine.
01st March, 2014
ad_scott Show all reviews
Smells like a Cuban tobacco field. Floral tobacco. It also holds a slight dose of natural Nicotiana Tabacum - and menthol. A unique Austrian aftershave/cologne and great value for money! It has a barbershop vibe and best suits the cigar and pipe smoker.
24th March, 2013 (last edited: 06th November, 2018)

Add your review of Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

Shop for Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne products online

Member images of Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

There are no member images of Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne yet. Why not be the first?