Shalimar Parfum Initial (2011)
by Guerlain

Shalimar Parfum Initial information

Year of Launch2011

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Shalimar Parfum Initial

Shalimar Parfum Initial is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2011 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

Shalimar Parfum Initial fragrance notes

Reviews of Shalimar Parfum Initial

This fragrance is just like a beautiful harmony on notes in the bottle. very elegant and charming combination of notes.
This fragrance opens up with a slightly sweet and very delicious caramel note followed by fresh, sweet and juicy citruses and soft but at the same time pungent earthy aroma of patchouli.
As we all expect citruses (mostly orange) give the start a fresh zesty feeling, but not like summery fragrances because it's followed by semi sweet caramel and earthy, peppery and a little damp note of patchouli. also scent has a faint powdery feeling but completely in the background.

As time goes by, in the mid citruses are gone and now I can smell more patchouli with peppery and kind of bitter woody/soft smoky aura plus mellow caramel and vanilla combo and some powdery feeling. it's less sweet than the opening and also more mature and more woody.
In the base scent changes a little bit. in the base I'm getting that slightly sweet caramel and vanilla notes, mellow powdery iris and bitter woody/peppery aroma of patchouli but now less bitter and woody. patchouli in this stage is damp and earthy just like the start. also scent has a very mellow soapy aroma and only in the base that stays in the background all the times but it's not that hard to spot.
Projection is very good and longevity is around 8 hours on my skin. I think except summer you can wear this all year round and mostly formal, not casual!

P.S: Iris plays a smooth role in this fragrance and has a mellow powdery feeling. similar with DH and DHI?! I don't think so.
29th March, 2016
Shalimar with all the good bits taken out, leaving nothing but overly-sweet fluff. OK for bed, but if I wore it out of the house would feel totally uncomfortable, like a grown woman wearing a puff-sleeve pink party frock and sucking a lollipop.
03rd December, 2015 (last edited: 10th December, 2015)
Salutation.
You made up your hair,drees up and walking with style and grace but something is missing.it is not until you buy your first bottle of SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL. This is a great sensual fragrance and you always get compliment when you wear this.Modern with a hint of sophistication and sex appeal that lasts for a a long time. Rich,Seductive,Powdery,Carnal,Exciting, Adorable, Gorgeous and Impressive.

This perfume blends bergamot with orange in a sheer floral exquisite where feminine bouquets of iris,jasmine and rose make way for a base rife with vanilla,musk and caramel for a sexy and passionate effect.the dry down is interestingly delicious yes sensual.this scent makes woman feel passion,a woman who she is not afraid of her sensuality.

It is perfect for a romantic night be sure to spray this perfume around the room and especially on the bed sheets for an unforgettble night.It is suitable for Autumn and Winter.ladies if you want gorgeous smelling perfume that will make the men drop at you feet SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL could quite possibly be the one for you.what more can i say?let your inner self out,let others envy you!watch your world unfold!

Sillage?Great.

Longevity?pretty good on my skin.

7.5/10
13th June, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
Citrus with a fruity-floral drydown - some rose and jasmine - with a vanilla-musk base. Dull.

On my skin it is quite nondescript, with poor sillage, limited projection and three hours of longevity. 1.5/5.
01st June, 2015
With this one, I did 180 after I thought I finally found a wearable/current Shalima. How wrong I was..even though I tested twice before I bought a bottle.
It starts to smell fruity and fizzy with Shalima undertone. It is never dark or mysterious like Shalima. Its smell reminds me of lemon meringue. It has this fruity sweet gourmand going on which eventually became very off-putting for me. I think I am voracious in terms of scents spectrum, enjoying happily from Aramis to Pink sugar. Less and less often, I get to use Shalima initial. Every time I spray, I found myself not enjoying it, more like enduring its presence.
02nd April, 2015
I think Guerlain did a bang up job of modernizing Shalimar for the tastes of the younger market. Personally, I love the original Shalimar, but from what I smell on young girls around my neighborhood, their tender young noses would likely wrinkle at the smell of all that smoke, leather, balsams, and dirtiness. Some perfumes need to be grown into, and Shalimar is definitely one of those. (Don't worry, girls, she will be still there waiting, still great, when you are finally ready) In the meantime, Parfum Initial is a very good rendition.

Parfum Initial is essentially an add-and-subtract job that was done with taste and thought. Wasser removed the stinky grade of bergamot used in the top notes of the original and replaced it with a sunny orange/lemon combo unlikely to offend young noses. He took away all the smoky leather, balsams, and incense, and added a huge dollop of what feels to me like Angel-like notes, mainly caramel, berries, and patchouli, thus bringing Parfum Initial to the teetering brink of the modern fruitchouli epidemic, but never pushing it all the way in. Finally, he added a massive dose of iris, giving it a plush, vevelty, powdery mouthfeel that puts it in the same family as the great Dior Homme Intense. It is also vaguely reminiscent of Coco Mademoiselle and Angel, but always retains its own character. It smells a bit like Shalimar too, of course, but the overall feel is different, more gourmand, sweet, plush, and uncomplicated. For people who hated the baby powder in the original, this version will also likely provide some relief - it is not nearly as powdery as the original.

For all of that, I don't LOVE love it. The original Shalimar simply blows this out of the water on all levels, and it is an impossible act to follow. Moreover, repeat wearings of Parfum Initial has wearied my nose to it somewhat, and there are some things in it that I'm picking up and irritating me. I find that there is an intensely sweet, almost syrupy note in there (the caramel plus berries probably) that I can almost feel in my throat. It kind of throws the perfume off balance a bit. There is nothing to balance out the sweet syrup in this, and it makes me appreciate the original even more, because at least in that, the sweetness of the vanilla is perfectly tempered by the smoke and leather. Anyway, overall the scent is gorgeous and will appeal to the younger market, and (hopefully) bring a new generation of scent lovers around to the great Shalimar when they are good and ready for her.
03rd June, 2014