Incense Oud

Incense Oud information

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerSidonie Lancesseur

About Incense Oud

Incense Oud is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The fragrance was created by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur

Reviews of Incense Oud

At first sniff this seemed boring, linear, safe, pretty, and almost completely inoffensive. Over time it's revealed itself to be a study in contrasts - an ethereal, light otherworldly incense on one hand, earthy wood and spices on the other. Grapefruit and a creamy rose bridge the divide, if it's possible to say that. It's more like etheric fields overlapping briefly to me. On some wearings it's cool and poised and on others it's hot, giving the impression of a sauna. After some time I've realized my own body temperature at the time of application determines this effect so I wait a few minutes after a really hot shower if I don't want that steamy effect.

This scent transports me and always puts a smile on my face. That first whiff affects my overall impression of the experience even though it dissipates quickly. Like the opening chord of Black Sabbaths "Paranoid" you only hear it once but your brain convinces you you're hearing it for the entire song.

People who reject this for its lack of "real" oud relative to its high price are missing the point-there's nothing else out there this good, this sleek and elegant, and downright beautiful that is so wearable on a daily basis. I have many other colognes and edp's in my collection but this negates the need to wear a lot of them, that have elements in common, but are not nearly as good. I definitely don't and probably couldn't wear this every day but I find myself reaching for it a lot!

Longevity from the original bottle is stellar, compared to other samples and decants I've owned. I can smell this on myself 12 hours later no problem.

Solid, consistent performer, versatile, enjoyable and eminently wearable scent!
26th September, 2017
The main focus is on the frankincense and the gorgeous opening adds oud and spices. These will fade leaving space to a dirty patchouli paired with a thick, sweet rose and a resinous base. The blend is addictive, classy, elegant.
18th September, 2016
By Kilian doesn't grab me, but Incense Oud is inoffensively wearable. It smells like rose with a modern, dark mix of incense, wood, and/or oud-like accords.
03rd August, 2016
Incense Oud is a quality composition with incense as the main focus. The other most prominent notes are cardamom and rose, with oud somewhere there in the background. It is refined, polished and even a bit sophisticated. Any animalic element has been removed and instead it is quite elegant. Unfortunately it is only elegant, rather than being opulent - which would have been a perfect fit in this case. It stops singing on skin and performs a disappearing act in about four hours.

17th April, 2016
The second member of the Arabian Nights collection By Kilian, Incense Oud, like Amber Oud, is a fine composition, but performs significantly better on my skin.

Frankincense dominates this, with oud and some other notes being subservient to the eponymous note. The notes listed is immense but the mix of peppers and indistinct florals cited by one online reviewer ring true to me. There's a slight peppery aspect to this in concert with the oud, though at their meeting it becomes a little difficult to distinguish between the two.

The result is a scent that is not sharp or abrasive but still bold. In conclusion, Incense Oud is one of the most refined incense-based fragrances that doesn't use sweet notes. Still, a tough sell at $395 for 50ml, but there's always the 50ml refill route that in this case is half the price at $195.

8 out of 10
24th February, 2016

At first sniff Incense Oud appears to be one of those love-at-first-sniff fragrances… how could anything smell this good? Incense Oud presents firm, remarkably refined accords …impressively smooth, elegantly resinous, impeccably balanced. The opening / heart presents a delicate but impossibly complex accord that is lightly aromatic, softly resinous, richly and broadly wood /spice centered. Of the long list of notes, I can definitely identify oud, rose, geranium, cardamom, pepper, cedar. I can believe musk, patchouli, and labdanum. Once or twice I’ve thought that I smelled a hint of papyrus. I’m sure I don’t smell frankincense. The other notes… who knows?

Although the opening carries a beautiful elemental force, the remainder of the scent is simply a not-so-gradual reduction of the intensity of the original accord… or slight variations thereof. Incense Oud is incredibly beautiful in a gentle, refined sort of way - as opposed to the more dramatic, more rustic ways of several of the other rose-oud-resin offerings.

It ends its fleeting existence as a vague skin scent, leaving me quite unsatisfied because of its teasing coyness and lack of longevity. Yet I’m voting a thumbs-up for its contemplative, other-worldly quality.
07th February, 2016